eBay File Exchange - help please

Discussion in 'Online Marketplaces - eBay, Amazon, Etsy and more' started by Ade704, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Ade704

Ade704

I have been using turbo lister with a custom eBay template for the last 9 months but the more listings I get up and running the more I realise that I need to be able to change them in bulk...and not just turbo-lister style.

On Amazon this is easy with the excel flat file templates. But on Ebay I am not so sure. So if anyone out there is using file exchange I could do with knowing the following please:

1. Can I export all my current listings into some kind of csv/excel file?
    2. Will the export bring with it all my template artwork/styles/layouts and will that template re-import back to eBay correctly?
    3. How will all the text within the listing be separated within the exchange file? For example, if I have a text block with several bullet points, how will these be treated?

The reason I ask is that within all my listings I mention about a certain method of shipping, which I may well change in the near future. At the moment I would have to go into each listing individually. But ideally I want to be able to change a cell within excel, copy it across all listings in one go and then upload the lot back to eBay.

Any help/insight greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Ade
  2. Ade704

Ade704

Bit of an update...

It seems both file exchange and turbo lister can be used to export live listings into a csv file for change and then re-upload. However neither appears to export the most important part of the listing properly - the actual content! TL seems to only export about 100 characters. And file exchange doesn't seem to export the details at all!

If anyone can help with this it will save me whatever hair I have left ;)
  3. itpartsdirect

itpartsdirect

Yeah I have recently just been having the same issues. I am trying to export all my current Ebay listings and import them by CSV file into my online shopping cart. But it keeps cocking up the data and doing some and noth others. But I managed to work out how to extract the photos!
  4. Ade704

Ade704

It seems like such a simple thing but why do they chop down/out the listing content! Surely this is the most important part...? It is not a constraint of excel - cells can contain very large amounts of information. For some reason, the export will only send the first 100 or so characters of the description. Am talking to eBay again tomorrow but considering how useless they normally are with anything off the beaten track I am not hopeful
  5. Ade704

Ade704

Ok - I have been a fool lol

You can export live listings to the file exchange csv format and it does export all of the html content. It is just that when you click on the cell, you only see about 100 characters - you have to scroll down to see the rest!

So, I think the process is as follows:

1. Copy active listings from within turbo lister to a folder in the inventory view (you can't export directly from the active listings view)
    2. Export to the file exchange csv format.
    3. Open in excel
    4. Make your changes. I had a particular phrase within all my listings that I needed to change, so I can now use 'find and replace' to change it across all listings at the same time.
    5. Re-import the file from the file exchange center back into ebay.

I am just trialling this now. If anything changes I will let you know.
  6. itpartsdirect

itpartsdirect

Oh yeah I know that bit... My problem is that when trying to export the full details and ebay pictures and then trying to import from csv file into an online shopping cart, it seems to miss things when transfering 400 items across..
  7. Ade704

Ade704

Ah - ok. Will keep an eye on that as will be doing similar shortly. Cheers ;)
  8. itpartsdirect

itpartsdirect

Yeah maybe we can work it out properly. Would be good to get my online shop up and running properly.
  9. mannid

mannid

Hi stevoal,

I read that you managed to extract photos from your Ebay shop?? Could you explain how please?

Thank you
  10. mgroadster

mgroadster Banned Member

I've got a toolbox full of files in my workshop if you need any help. In fact one is called a b******d file.