1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

eBay/webstore design needed

Discussion in 'Services Wanted' started by burger, Jun 28, 2012.

1. burger

burger

I started the thread asking for a bit of help finding a previous post, and to be honest your comment was also pretty irrelevant to the thread, anyway I will leave you to carry on ironing your thongs. ;)
  2. eAuction

eAuction

I think advising against a service which I think is poor/ would waste your money is rather helpful, instead of just telling you what you want to hear like everyone else.
  3. shopafrolix

shopafrolix Banned Member

Nope - not helpful one bit. Offering your services for the same cost IS helpful though
  4. burger

burger

5. eAuction

eAuction

I'd be on below minimum wage if I worked at those prices!
  6. ebafy

ebafy

I think what eAuction has stated here is completely spot on so it is not to be over looked. I've been in this game far too long so please take that that statement on board. I've seen countless sites designed and mashed-up only to be left collecting dust in the every growing and somewhat daunting world wide web!

I'm not going to bash anyone here as it is an open playing field however I would like to add that starting out on the wrong foot could be very detrimental to a new start-up business. If a website does not make the grade by means of correct coding, functionality and of course usability then this will reflect in the amount of traffic and sales both short and long-term.

Yes a design plays a key roles but so does the technology used to empower a website.

Many of you are not going to like what I am about to say but I stand firm in the knowledge that any website built using an open source (free) cart will stand your business zero chance of making an impact in today's marketplace.

"Anyone with half a brain can simply run an installer wizard to compile a database"

These carts were developed over a decade ago at a time when ecommerce was really starting to formulate online. The main purpose was to target technophobes, online users who had no real ambition or technical skills to create a unique and tailor-made solution as this was all still in its infancy stages.

So I echo my words again. Start as you mean to go on, have ambition and set your stall out in a correct and professional manner. Don't be lead by false hopes and unrealistic targets.
    Digitalfever likes this.
  7. Ross

Ross

Primesells service is poor. It will take him months and months to finish anything as he takes on more work than he can do at one time and communication is pretty crappy.

All his sites are the exact same layout, with every site/ebay template that he does. All he is doing for each customer is changing the image files to give it a different appearance.

I would advise going with someone else and would choose James at Ebeezy any day of the week.
    Dascs likes this.
  8. eAuction

eAuction

Agree with it all apart from this:

I agree with this somewhat in regards to zencart and the like, but there are now some decent open source "freemium" model carts such as magento and prestashop which do power some very large businesses.
  9. JermaineR8

JermaineR8

I am in the process of wanting a site, and I take all comments on board unfortunately some of us do not have thousands laying around for a site.

So what is the next best option?

I am wondering why Primesell does not respond? This is detrimental to his business
  10. eAuction

eAuction

Probably because there's not much he can say. To produce sites at those prices the quality has to be low.
  11. redspell

redspell Banned Member

Thats an interesting statement, are you saying that the millions of websites online that are based on Open Source shopping carts might as well just pull the plug as they have zero chance of getting traffic and making sales?
  12. burger

burger

Are you going to give us a look at some of the work you have done so we can compare a £100+ site to a £1000+ site?
    This would help us that are not in this field understand your comments better
  13. eAuction

eAuction

I am an employed web developer so most of my work is collaborative, and I'm not going to show that sort of work here, for obvious reasons. The sort of money involved isnt £1000+, it's more like £20,000+ . If you want a good example of what a grand will get you take a look at dascs/ebeezy. I'm not selling any service here, I'm saying it as I see it.
  14. shopafrolix

£1k or £20k on a website . . . . . and they don't even know if their products/services will sell yet ? Thats taking a gamble.

Now I know you're dealing with major companies to be paying these prices, ones that KNOW their products are or will sell easily, BUT, its quite obvious that forum member BURGER who asked the initial question is NOT one of those major sellers . . . . so please tell him, and me for that matter, why we can't spend £150 on 3 designs (domain, ebay & listing) and we should be spending a minimum of £1k plus ?

Have you noticed that its only website developers who stand up and insist that this is the price we should be paying, yet WE are the customers, and THIS is what product and expenditure we are looking for
    redspell likes this.
  15. ebafy

ebafy

Yes that is what I am saying and I stand firm on that!

Have you ever thought that we are in a position to offer such good advice as we know our market inside out? Spending 8+ hours each and every day building sites, using strict guidelines and modern web practises that empower you, the customer a solid backbone for future success?
  16. eAuction

eAuction

Whilst i disagree that a big business can't be built with open source (I've seen multi-million pound business's that use Magento) I think more needs to be spent than £150. The websites quality are awful, and don't give your products a good chance of selling.

If it fails you'll likely blame the products, but what about the website? With these cheap website no thought goes in to them.
  17. shopafrolix

FYI - take a look at the comments regarding Primesell's design. Most are regular forum members who's opinions people hold in high regard. Not a single negative (except why haven't I got more naked women displayed)

MSFB

J-P

Volantary

Volantary

craftstylez

successjourney

UKbuyer1

Ross

IzzoNet
  18. eAuction

eAuction

I guess most of them aren't web professionals though. If you are happy with it then fine, like I said, I'm not selling anything, just giving advice.
  19. JermaineR8

JermaineR8

I understand what eAuction is saying as he is a professional in the industry, but I think Shopafrolix is trying to say the average consumer or even web browser would not notice these things you see.

Not saying they are not needed, of course everyone would want a £20k site but for most this is not feasible, so if the average consumer thinks it looks 'alright', I guess that will have to do for now.
    shopafrolix likes this.
  20. psxgamer

psxgamer

And I think people are comparing apples with melons.

A 1 man business is something completely different than as business with millions of turnover and a bunch of staff. The requirements they will have for a website is completely different. It's like comparing an Ipad with an unbranded Chines clone. They will both have a simular look, simular functions but the hardware will be completely different.

1,5 year ago I hired Ebeezy te make me a custom made Ebayshop and listing template. When I decided to go for my own website I choose for one of the free shopping carts. Reason? I had no idea what to expect from it. My Ebayshop was doing good but I had too many story about people with a website with no traffic and no sales so didn't want to invest a lot of £'s. I'm sure most start ups think that way.

A free shopping cart of cheap design is a very good way to start. The last year in one year I've learned more about e-commerce than in the last 5 years together. And all because I used a free shopping cart (had to do most of the work myself) instead of a custom made website where the site is just "put on a plate". I can advice everybody to use one of the free shopping carts. They allow you to feel how deep the water is. And you can create a professional looking website at low cost.

But... if everything goes as expected you reach a point where you have got to just just a bit further. And I think that's where this discussion is all about. Yes the free shopping carts offer a shitload of possibilities. But there will always be features that you're missing. I'm sure you can build an e-commerce site that's 100% ok using a free shopping cart but you'll have to buy a whole bunch of extentions and probably hire one or more coders to make the final touch. And at the end you'll pay as much as a custom made website.

I agree I'm not gonna buy myself a + £10.000 website, but people saying that £ 1000 - £ 1500 is expensive.

AN E-COMMERCE BUSINESS THAT DOESN'T HAVE £ 1000 - £ 1500 CASH TO INVEST IN AN E-COMMERCE SITE IS DOOMED TO FAIL!!!

I'm not saying you have to immediatly make this investment, but when the time comes there will be a point where you'll have to choose.