1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

Email marketing - does it really work?

Discussion in 'Social Media, SEO/SEM & Online Marketing' started by deboy, Jun 4, 2012.

1. deboy

deboy

Hi Guys & Gals

So email marketing seems to be a popular choice for some business', but does it really work and what sort of results would you expect to achieve.

I have recently been doing this type of marketing and have found its very hit and miss.

Firstly we sent sent approx 200k emails out to business' that have expressed intreset in a product or service we offer with practily no take up, yet last week we sent out a further 5k and recieved a more enquiries than the previous 200k.

I know alot of it depends on the quality of the data you have but what i would like to know is this

Do you take notice of marketing emails you recieve ?

Have you had any experience with email marketing ?

Any success stories ?

Your thoughts please

John
  2. AntiHeroUK

AntiHeroUK

Sometimes I take notice of email marketing I receive, but only if I have a genuine interest in the product or service in the first place.

For example. Let's say you send me an email marketing a great new toy that's been released. As I neither sell, wish to sell, or even have an interest in toys I will ignore your email.

Now on the other hand, if you were to send me a marketing email that happened to be something I currently sell, similar to something I sell, a line I am looking at starting, or something that I have a general interest in, then you have caught my attention and I will read your email, and if at that point I like what I see then I will click through to your website or contact you.

Yes you have stated that these businesses have expressed interest in something so the above doesn't really apply as much, but it really does depend on the particular product/service you are offering, and the relevance to those you contact. Obviously your email should contain enough information you make the potential customer want to find out more and visit your site and get in touch, but you don't want to bombard them with every tiny little details that you have turned them off your product altogether.

The further 5k you sent out, were they to similar companies and did the email contain the same content as the last?

There are going to be so many variables that relate to how your potential customers react to your email. Even the time of day that you sent the emails could also have an impact. There are so many factors that without a longer history of email marketing to analyse it's hard to draw any judgements on it.

As for sending out email marketing I have yet to do it on a large scale, however in the next month it will be necessary for me to do this for my new business venture to inform and entice prospective customers, so I'll let you know how I get on :)
    Young, dellashui and deboy like this.
  3. deboy

deboy

I totally agree with the timing of the email. We found the best time to send is between 10am-2pm tuesday & wednesday. Dont know why that is but we noticed a spike in the statistics during these times.

Its early days yet so after a few more months we will have a better idea.

Just a side note: The returns from the last 5k emails have more than covered the costs for the previous 200k and some.
    dellashui likes this.
  4. Lace

Lace Retired Moderator

Hi John,

Curious on what type of products/services you are offering :)

I receive several email marketing daily and what catches my attention most are those that offer free education about their products. This means free webinars, ebooks, or live chat.

Do the 5k contacts belong to the same group as the 200k or do they belong to another segment (i.e. having different credentials)?

Congratulations on your success : )
  5. Pete

Pete

I delete or move to SPAM folder ALL unsolicited email. Including the monthly sales pitches from TWF. :)

I have more than can handle as it is, why get off into something else? Will I miss a legitimate deal that I could truly use? I wouldn't give it more than 5 on a scale to 100.

Now the Russian brides catch my eye, though. :)
    John likes this.
  6. dellashui

dellashui

Umm, I think your idea of email marketing time specifically between 10am to 2pm is interesting and sounds practical.

I think the maybe it's because Wednesdays and Tuesdays, people are more likely to have some free time, especially after 10am when they've done some work that was left-over the day berfore. And after 2pm people will tend to rush for the work that they think they shall finish before end of the day.
    So to market between 10am and 2pm sounds like a good idea.
  7. beacon hill

beacon hill

"Firstly we sent sent approx 200k emails out to business' that have expressed intreset in a product or service we offer"

Just curious. Do you mean they have asked to be added to your mailing list
  8. UKbuyer1

UKbuyer1

The key to email marketing is getting opted in subscribers to your mailing list who have given permission for you to use their email for sending offers, upgrades, services etc.

Give me 200 targetted, double opted in mailing list subscribers over 200k non targeted, non opted subscribers any day of the week.

As Pete above, I hit the spam button and send to trash any unsolicited emails. Just as I do with all the crap that gets stuffed into my letterbox every single day.
  9. paulymit

paulymit

I completely agree UKbuyer1. Generating a optin list from your website amongst other techniques certainly works best. A well thought out news letter campaign also works great in the long run.
  10. Clarkey

Clarkey

I hope the 200k emails you sent were to emails you have permission to send out to or are on a mailing list else I'll be surprised you wont get charged for spam.

Email marketing is very lucrative. Within IM one thing that is gold is "the list"... if you have a big number of well targeted emails you can make some great money. If you have the money and want to do it yourself., create a very good funnel or email optin and try to build your own targeted list via some paid traffic. Use Email Marketing software such as Aweber, Untill you're experienced and big enough to have your own custom server side software with a good IP.

Once you have yourself a decent sized list. Start your first promotion and split test... send out an email to 10% of the list, analyses the data and then make edits accordingly, then send out to your next 10%....

It's like any form of marketing, you will need a lot of knowledge and resources to get good at it.
  11. JustCraig

JustCraig

I am with Pete and I usually delete any spam/marketing emails that I get without even reading them.

I think the odd exception that I do open them are when (on the rare occasion) I have opted into some mailing list (the MEN Arena would be one example)

As Rick says, 200 targeted, double opted in mailing list subscribers are much more valuable than 200k+ non targeted email addresses.
  12. deboy

deboy

Hi Lace,
    Im in the vehicle leasing business offering Business contract hire, finance lease, hp that sort of thing.

The 200k email addys are emails we have collected over the years from either companies we have dealt with or have shown an intrest in our products at some point, so they are reletavliy warm leads.

The 5k email list is made up of business' that run more than one vehicle and are always changing there vehicles and again we have dealt with them at some point so they are more aware of us and our services.

Take a look at here www.lease-cars.info for a better idea of our business
  13. Insun Tube

Insun Tube

well,email marketing is not easy,it takes time to figure out a plan,about your target mail address,about how many hours you spend on it per day,about how to attract the receiver in several seconds reading,about the skill be to spam.email marketing needs time,plan,match up and patience.