Eu Dropshipping Vat Issues

Discussion in 'Money, Accounts & Finance' started by Digitaltom, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Digitaltom

Digitaltom

Hi all,

I've got some tricky dropshipping scenarios and both HMRC and google don't seem to provide any solid answers. I'd really appreciate any help on the subject as it seems to be a big grey area for dropshipping in the EU.

If you have any information or thoughts please reply with sources to the appropriate legislation/statements. To help avoid misinterpretation in this post.

The dropshipping situation:
    Customers visit my site and purchase a product at a Retail Price (RP), I then send their information to my Supplier who I pay a Wholesale Price (WP), the Supplier then sends the product directly to the Customer.

Terms:
    End Consumer - An individual consumer, not VAT registered
    Supplier - 3rd party VAT registered business, in the EU
    Retailer - me, eCommerce site based in the UK

Scenario 1:
    Retailer = UK | Consumer = EU Member State A | Supplier = EU Member State B
    Member State A and B are different. e.g. A = France, B = Spain

Do I give my Supplier my UK VAT number to zero-rate the purchases at the WP?
    Do I charge the Customer UK VAT using distance selling regulations, up to the distance selling threshold for Member State A?

Scenario 2:
    Retailer = UK | Consumer = EU Member State B | Supplier = EU Member State B
    Member States are the same, both are in State B = Spain.

Does my supplier have to charge Member State B (Spanish) VAT on the wholesale purchase? Can this only be reclaimed if registered for VAT in Spain, and then claimed back through a Spanish tax return?
    Do I charge the Customer UK VAT using distance selling regulations, up to the distance selling threshold for Member State B?

A few thoughts:
    Distance selling regulations - can this method be used if the goods never enter the UK?
    Triangulation - it seems like this method, except this only involves 3 businesses that are all VAT registered, not 2 businesses and an individual consumer.

Thanks in advance for your help!