Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!

EU proposes a "right to be forgotten" law

Discussion in 'Social Media, SEO/SEM & Online Marketing' started by Jenilee, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Jenilee

Jenilee

Europe proposes a law that will allow people to demand organizations that hold their data be deleted should they ask. Embarrassing, inaccurate or simply personal data will have to be deleted from the internet and company databases if consumers ask.

The new law means that social networks such as Facebook or Twitter will have to comply with users' requests to delete everything they have ever published about themselves online. It will also mean that consumers will be able to force companies that hold data about them, such as for Tesco's Clubcard, to remove it.

EU Justice Commissioner Viviane Reding, says that the new rules "will help build trust in online services because people will be better informed about their rights and more in control of their information”.

The changes, which could take more than two years to implement, also include a new EU power to fine companies up to 2 per cent of their global turnover if they breach the rules. The rules will apply to any company offering services in an EU nation.

Source

What are your thoughts on this law?
  2. Lace

Lace Retired Moderator

My thoughts are that this will be too much work for companies that hold user information. For instance, every second - people post information without really thinking. Can you imagine how much work it will be for the likes of Twitter and Facebook to accommodate deletion requests?

Standard should be, think before sharing any information unless - someone posted the information without your knowledge. I wonder how this law translates to negative reviews posted by third parties?
  3. Anthony

Anthony

Certainly legislation that will prove popular among consumers but this to me seems like yet another law proposed by people who have no idea how the Internet works (a la SOPA). I can understand the rulings for inaccurate data but not for general data that was shared in all good intentions from the first instance. To many businesses this data is extremely valuable and maintaining it even more so. I'm all for giving people more control over their data but this to me seems almost unfiltered meaning the costs involved of dealing with such requests will be prohibitive. As Lace mentions, can you imagine how much work would be involved for the likes of Facebook? But that's the game they are in I hear you say, well yes, but that's also what you signed up for....