1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

Facebook account vs. page - which is better for business?

Discussion in 'Social Media, SEO/SEM & Online Marketing' started by John, Jul 11, 2012.

1. John

John

Hi Guys.

Just looking for views on what kind of page you set up?

A profile or Fan Page?

What beneficiaries do either have that the other doesnt have?

Thanks!
  2. Lace

Lace Retired Moderator

John likes this.
  3. John

John

Thanks Lace! Although, can you still message buyers etc. with a page?

Regards
  4. Gary

Gary

With a page you can enable or disable the option for people to message you which you can then reply to.

I too find it better to have a business page than an account.
    John likes this.
  5. Nick-D

Nick-D

I was under the impression that a "profile" can and will be removed at will by facebook if they find it is being used for business. Unless we are talking about different things!
    John likes this.
  6. Gary

Gary

I don't know if it's changed since the timeline, etc. but you used to be able to choose whether to open either a business or personal profile upon registration, basically know this as back in the day I tried a profile for one of my businesses (to very little succes as interacting with personal accounts wasn't easy or even doable oin many aspects), so then added a page instead
  7. ResellerLad

ResellerLad

As far as i'm aware, this is correct. You can only have a profile as a person. Not a business.
  8. Gary

Gary

I think that may be right now, I was talking back in 2009 when I had a profile for a business and I know that it was allowed then as there was a radio box you could select if you wanted a personal or business profile (although the profile was rubbish in comparison to pages anyway)
  9. hollseller

hollseller Banned Member

You do both. Profile is better because you can send invitations and that's what is all about. Millions using profiles selling, promoting cities and more so lets save cheap talk about Facebook policies. Take this from marketing master!
  10. PrestonBros

PrestonBros Banned Member

Pages is merely a limited form of a normal user's Facebook. I find it fairly frustrating as a page owner to not be able to post in groups etc.

I do suggest opting for both, due to the access a page gives you to Facebook's features is limited.
  11. haroldsorsky

haroldsorsky

Read what Facebook has to say on this:

Facebook profiles are meant to represent a single individual. Organizations of any type are not permitted to maintain an account under the name of their organization. We have created Facebook Pages to allow organizations to have a presence on Facebook. These Pages are distinct presences, separate from user profiles, and optimized for an organization’s needs to communicate, distribute information/content, engage their fans, and capture new audiences virally through their fan’s recommendations to their friends. Facebook Pages are designed to be a media rich, valuable presence for any artist, business or brand.
    If you create a profile for your business, your account may be disabled for violating our Terms of Use. If you have questions about how to best leverage your Facebook Page, please check out our Insider’s Guide or FAQ.

Facebook’s policy in terms of how business can use their pages:
    All personal site features, such as friending and messaging, are also for personal use only and may not be used for professional promotion. If you add a user as a friend, for example, this person will be invited to be a friend of your profile and not your Page. Using personal site features for professional promotion, or creating unauthorized Pages, may result in your account being warned or disabled.​
  12. JermaineR8

JermaineR8

Didn't want to create a new thread, so will post here

Are you allowed to use your business email when setting up your FB page?

I have tried and get the message "Please enter a valid email address."

Clearly it is valid, so are you only able to use hotmail, gmail etc?
  13. Lace

Lace Retired Moderator

Hi Jermaine,

I found this on Facebook:
  14. JermaineR8

JermaineR8

I did see that but thanks, I believe that was the problem because I was using sales@...

However they make it sound like that only applies to FB personal accounts, but it is ok for a FB page, but it isnt.

Therefore had to create a new email, working now
    Lace likes this.
  15. Danhane

Danhane

I think social networking is great but you have to consider what your target market is...are you clear on this point?
  16. foxrulz99

foxrulz99

Page is easy.even you can share your website link there easily.
  17. James Donovan

James Donovan

For business purpose you must have a page. That can approach more customers and easy to manage.
  18. James Donovan

James Donovan

Actually both are important for promote your business in Facebook Social network. Mostly pages are use to promote your business and profile use to share and increase the popularity of a page or business.
    Nimrod likes this.