1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

Fake designer clothing sites to stay away from!

Discussion in 'Bad Supplier Experiences' started by guru4us, Jun 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MustHaveMobiles

MustHaveMobiles Community Moderator

I disagree, the VERO programme works effecctively when it is used by the person/organisation that 'has the rights' to the particular product either through VERO or as copyright.

It also works when individuals report items but it takes a lot longer as this area is wide open to abuse, ie. by a rival seller, hence why sometimes the auctions never seem to be removed when they are reported.

Think of the sheer volume of complaints that ebay must receive, I wont quote a figure as I would just be making it up as I am not party to that information. They have dedicated people looking into these things but their ability to hit auctions correctly has massively reduced due to the expansion it has gone through. In the early days of ebay the complaint almost certainly ended up with the auction being ended.
  2. Anthony

Anthony

However there are still powersellers out there that do sell counterfeit items and somehow get away with it. It makes me sick that the honest ones who work so hard to achieve the powerseller status are dwarfed by sellers selling counterfeit items!
  3. Eprogressive

Eprogressive

Sorry Jane - Dont agree. After all the fact is that the high volume of counterfeit items does actually affect our businesses and therefore we should act when we can. Companies such as Ebay and yourself need to take responsibility for the deals being brokered...For Ebay, this is ovbiously a more difficult task due to the vast ammount of users, but on Janes deals I dont see this as a problem. The least you could do is to make people selling agree to a disclaimer of some sort.

As for the list compiled of counterfeit sellers - I really wouldnt worry about lawsuits, unlike the States we do not have such a litigation culture, not only this all the sites mention DO sell counterfeit clothing which can be proven in a court of law.

If more people did actually care what they purchase and sell, we would not have this problem. I work with several brand owners and can assure you that they are greatful when they recieve assistance.

Anyway havn't you posted a false statement on this forum "The fact is -- ebay allows powersellers to sell counterfeits. Vero doesn't seem to care too much". Im sure Ebay would not agree and strongly deny your statement and I also dont think that it is a fact, maybe you need to take some of your own advice?
  4. JanesDeals

JanesDeals Banned Member

Agree

(Companies such as Ebay and yourself need to take responsibility for the deals being brokered...For Ebay, this is ovbiously a more difficult task due to the vast ammount of users, but on Janes deals I dont see this as a problem. The least you could do is to make people selling agree to a disclaimer of some sort.)

EProgressive:

1. Janesdeals.com is in compliance with the DMCA and has a policy in place (see terms of use: ***********************************) Janesdeals is registered as an online service provider in the USA. According to the DMCA, online service providers are not required to check each item listed for authenticity. We are required to provide contact information so that brand owners may contact our office about questionable items listed. So... If we receive a take down notice, Janesdeals complies by removing the listing. Eprogressive, this is the the Least amount we are required to do per DMCA requirements- In addition to minimum requirements, Janesdeals allows the buyer 24 hours to inspect the shipment for authenticity before funds are released to the seller.

(As for the list compiled of counterfeit sellers - I really wouldnt worry about lawsuits, unlike the States we do not have such a litigation culture, not only this all the sites mention DO sell counterfeit clothing which can be proven in a court of law. )

NOTED> I am not familiar with laws in Europe and I apologize for making the presumption the laws are the same. I do believe it is in poor taste to go around bashing competitors in order to build your business.

(Anyway havn't you posted a false statement on this forum "The fact is -- ebay allows powersellers to sell counterfeits. Vero doesn't seem to care too much". Im sure Ebay would not agree and strongly deny your statement and I also dont think that it is a fact, maybe you need to take some of your own advice?)

2. No, I have not posted a false statement and according to your post on the wholesale411 forum below you agree with me.

(eprogressive wholesale411 forum...Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:kiss:8 am Subject: Re: Examples of huge power sellers fakes.
    "As a seller of authentic and paperworked items it is hard to compete on ebay with people selling the replica's. Another point is, I know that some of the sellers think they are selling the authentic product.... Remember there are a lot of wholesalers selling their products as authentic..." The VERO programme is completely inadequate, I have had products taken down, which are authentic, I have provided proof and later recieved an apology, some dont reply.

FYI -- Janesdeals made 3 separate attempts to contact Vero eBay Nike about some Nike Shoes that were posted on Janesdeals. According to DMCA, Janesdeals was not obligated to patrol the seller listings but this listing was a red flag.. .To my surprise Nike USA Vero never replied back to my numerous emails requesting their assistence in this matter. Later when discussing this with the atty from Seven All Mankind US, more surprise when I was told that "many of the Vero licensees do not care or go after sellers that offer counterfeits."

On another occasion, Janesdeals was contacted by Evisu UK to remove 1 of the several evisu listings on Janesdeals - the link to this listing was immediately removed (this one listing had never received 1 offer/order). Based on the request by Evisu- would it be safe to presume the other Evisu listings on Janesdeals were authentic???

As one of the vendors on Janesdeals.com who sells merchandise from the licensed distributors and backed by full release papers, I am frustrated by the amount of counterfeits flooding the US Market and the lack of enforcement by copyright and trademark holders to protect their brands. I have lost alot of business to vendors offering less expensive items made in china without papers.

Jane's Listings with Papers

(Im sure Ebay would not agree and strongly deny your statement and I also dont think that it is a fact?)

Of course Ebay would strongly deny this and they do ! You know that thousands of counterfeits are still being opening offered on Ebay by Powersellers. Yes, Ebay has MANY more members than Janesdeals but they also have alot more money to improve the technology, to Flag items that meet criteria for counterfeits (like price or country of origin), to hire additional staff and to provide free escrow services to mimimize fraud like our company does. But Ebay is a fee based service - profiting from listing fees. Janesdeals works on a backend fee of successful closes. You sell on Ebay and have mentioned on other forum groups similar things:

(maybe you need to take some of your own advice)

? AGREED!

Jane
  5. Anthony

Anthony

It is just like this in the UK.

I agree that the VERO programme needs to be stepped up a little.

Perhaps the VERO participants(sp) should hire in more people to the job because it is not being done very well at the moment at all! :(
  6. guru4us

guru4us

:rolleyes: or maybe they dont take down listings on purchase so that they dont lose revenue. think about it..thousands of listins closed, literally thousands of sellers displaced ...just a thought
  7. Anthony

Anthony

Umm! Had thought about that one before! It could all be a conspiracy :eek:
  8. guru4us

guru4us

say around 1000 (i chose a small figure deliberately)clothing sellers on ebay..each with their shops, each with around 20 listings on average. thats 20,000 listings. listing fee: say around a £1. thats £20,000. add on that some people might use their featured listings, front page ads etc, so thats another £5000.
    thats £25,000.
    then there's FVF. there's no way i would know what figure i should use there since the fvf depends on the final value of the item. off the top of my head, if they take £2 from each. assuming they were all clothing valued over £45 and assuming they were all sold
    thats £40,000 from fvf.
    paypal will also take their cut. (not everyone uses paypal so i'll use half the figure of the fvf). thats £20,000 from paypal

thats £85,000 right there for the week's listings from 1000 sellers :eek:

again: all these were rough figures..i dont even know if i made any correct guesstimates
  9. guru4us

guru4us

oh and those figures dont include any of ebay's overhead charges: maintaining their servers, staff pay etc etc
  10. MustHaveMobiles

MustHaveMobiles Community Moderator

All that could be wiped out tho by one successful legal suit...

eBay is a victim of its own success, it is so large it cannot be successfully policed and does rely on its users to help here (quite a novel business concept as its users do 95% of the work) also the amount of fraudulent 'remove this listing because its fake' claims that are made also dilute the impact of this service considerable.

Service initailly worked well, but now due to volumes and scammers wanting legitimate sellers/competition out the way its a minefield and a super slow process. A friend of mine says authentic LV bags and every time he listed he got his items removed (beginning of the year) he now has no problem because he contacted some department (I will find out which) and now his listing are validtaed.
  11. Anthony

Anthony

Does he think somebody was deliberately targetting him? Thinking he was selling fakes or...?
  12. Owenzo

Owenzo Banned Member

You can never tell if a site sends the items or will give you dodgy service view **************************** there site i think is not very good as in design wise, but there prices are cheap and i bought from them not knowning wether i would recieve my item , the next dy it was at my doorstep, the best way to kind of figure it out is if they ask you to sign up usually then it is a genuin site with good service , also if they have a good logo and another thing is you can tell a lot of the time if they have adverts from other sites placed anywhere, not all sites advertise other sites so there is no knowing!
  13. James

James Banned Member

Is this your site as well?

Im sorry that is some really bad 'advice' given there. Good Logo, Good Company? Adverts on site = Good Company?

C'mon....Really?
  14. Owenzo

Owenzo Banned Member

Well say if they have an advert from say O2 mobile company that would suggest it is a well branded website, as in logo wise it can help also if you gt a really rubbish logo you will differ in thought of purchasing if you see a good logo your expectaions will be higher
  15. James

James Banned Member

No, anyone can get an advert from O2. Through schemes with sites such as TradeDoubler

Anyone can get a good logo. It may cost a bit, but it doesnt say a think about the companies product or service. Possibly, expectations may be higher, but it doesnt mean they are a good company
  16. guru4us

guru4us

i leave for a few hours and missed all the action! lol.good thing u banned him james
  17. Anthony

Anthony

I know! He was on a rampage! James gave him enough warnings he ended up giving him all 3 warnings in about 30mins! :(
  18. Matt1

Matt1

fake fake fake
    worst of it is they are adament their stock is real
    real armani jeans for £16.50 pp wholesale...lmo!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.