1. Speak to our customer support team live today
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Thanks for visiting The Wholesale Forums! Register for FREE today and gain access to more information. Sign up with Facebook, Twitter, or Google.

Fake Mac Beauty Products

Discussion in 'Bad Supplier Experiences' started by Cody, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Cody

Cody

My fiance recently purchased a MAC Eyeliner product from eBay, and for a pretty good price she thought it was a bargain. You've most likely heard the saying before, "if it's too good to be true, it probably is."

I took a look at this particular product she purchased after she complained that it didn't flow as she'd expect other eyeliner products to, and also had a very odd smell and sticky consistency. The liquid was also very difficult to remove from her eyelids unlike other MAC eyeliner products.

From my first inspection I notice that the seams of the box where not aligned, or perfectly sealed as you'd expect a good brand like MAC to be. On top of this the type (text) on the back of the box was also a huge giveaway. Would a brand as huge as MAC make this amount of mistakes? 20170122_111057.jpg

That was the biggest first clue.

The second was the consistency of the liquid itself. Rather than a nice, fluid flow as you'd expect (that is if you wear liquid eyeliner) the consistency was incredibly thick, smelt like paint, dried like paint, and also had to be scratched off of a surface - similar to that of paint (or nail varnish). See image below.
    20170122_112400.jpg
    Third - the font/ logo on the product is also not crisp, and is rather blotchy, something you wouldn't expect from high end brands to be. See image below. 20170122_111449.jpg

It's these small details that are easily recognisable by anyone (if you know what to look out for) to determine if a product is a counterfeit. However unfortunately, the research performed first when she bought the product from eBay, which was to take a look at the reviews and feedback, could help in any way to say that was a fake.

The eBay seller has been selling for a very long time.
    The eBay seller had a ton of great feedback and reviews.
    The eBay seller had no negative feedback.

This can all lead to have reason to believe that what you're buying is a genuine product, that is, until you actually receive the product.

Visit the seller - This will help settle your mind and to clarify the quality of the products.

Always check the reviews - keeping an eye out for any negative reviews and feedback. However in this case, this was not helpful.

Pay via PayPal - you are able to file a dispute and get your money back. Protection is key when purchasing from any marketplace.

20170122_111737.jpg
    Jed, Import Expert and Huda like this.
  2. Helen

Helen

I can verify that this did smell of paint, and also that usual eyeliner (unsurprisingly) does not! Mac has been renowned for years as being a much 'faked' product. It's a shame it's still going on and eBay ratings don't seem to be much of a disincentive or warning sign in this case.
  3. beacon hill

beacon hill

Give their details to trading standards so they can pay them a visit to check if its fake or not
    Cody likes this.
  4. Cody

Cody

I've already sent an email to MAC fraud services, so hopefully will hear something back from them soon. It's be good to know what the liquid actually is too so I'll send that to their offices for testing also.
    tighergod, Helen and beacon hill like this.
  5. Import Expert

Import Expert

Scary that they can put anything in faked products like these, whether they be eyeliners, lipsticks or skin products, etc. They could be harmful to health more than anything.

Interesting post Cody! Thanks for sharing.
    Cody likes this.
  6. Dean

Dean

tighergod likes this.
  7. Cody

Cody

Kind of looks like more effort faking the eggs than it would be just getting a bunch of chickens to lay them....(facepalm emoji needed).
  8. Dean

Dean

Exactly!! :D
  9. Jed

Jed

I think you should do the honors of giving them their first negative feedback!
  10. Globetraveler

Globetraveler

So many fake cosmetics floating around huge wholesale markets in both Guangzhou and Shenzhen dedicated to the stuff, MAC seems to be one of the preferred brands for them to copy. Very much doubt any of the branded cosmetics sold on ebay are genuine unless the seller is a well established and licenced distributor.
    Cody and gracie1985 like this.
  11. Cody

Cody

Just a quick update - I will be posting the product off for testing and should find out within the next few days more about it.
    Import Expert and beacon hill like this.
  12. Cody

Cody

Update:

The product has been received by a rather well known TV Show here in the UK, and they are to be testing it very soon. More to come ;)
    Globetraveler and beacon hill like this.
  13. Import Expert

Import Expert

Great stuff. Watch out for those dogs?
  14. Allseeingeye

Allseeingeye

This is 100% fake.
  15. Allseeingeye

Allseeingeye

Hhahah, just read the Wake up Binocular at the bottom of the packaging!
  16. Cody

Cody

Yep very fake indeed. Still waiting on an analysis on what is inside the product, however latest update is "nothing out of the ordinary" as of yet. They're I believe doing more testing.

If this turns out to actually not be fake then someone shoot me? The packaging is a massive giveaway!
  17. themrgarycole

themrgarycole

I agree. Consumers should be warned about these fake products, especially those that really had no idea how to spot the difference.