1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

Fraudulent Activity Committed by x_Emily_x

Discussion in 'Bad Supplier Experiences' started by Anthony, Nov 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anthony

Anthony

For the purposes of transparency, we wish to advise the community on a developing situation first brought about publicly earlier in this thread.

The member mt99 has reported a claim of fraudulent activity committed by the member x_Emily_x. The dispute specifics are that a transaction had been agreed between the two members and that payment had been exchanged but the merchandise had not arrived as originally promised. Despite mt99 making every effort to communicate with x_Emily_x to get advice on where the goods were he was unable to bring about a response, even though she was at the time, still active on this community. This ultimately led to him alerting us of the situation and an internal investigation was initiated on Monday 16th November.

As per our standard protocol when situations such as this are reported to us, it was our first priority to understand what exactly had gone on, during which time frame, and where the member was in terms of bringing about a resolution with the accused. In addition to this, we requested that a proof of transaction be provided so as to ensure that the claim being brought about was indeed legitimate.

Upon receipt of this we approached the member (x_Emily_x) to advise them about the claims made against them and stipulated that they should respond to us within a specific time frame or further action would have to be taken. For the record, as a third party in transactions within our community it is our policy not to suspend advertising members prior to going about seeking a resolution. Since the member concerned was not an advertising member, it would have been our policy to immediately suspend this member, as we had already verified that fraudulent activity had taken place and as such the member was in serious breach of our terms of use in regards to the solicitation of goods*. It was however at the request of mt99 that we keep x_Emily_x’ account open for a mutually agreeable time frame as he felt that there were no other viable means of communication and that the member may choose to ignore the matter completely if their status/reputation as a member here was immediately struck off.

Our immediate concerns were (and always are) for the security of our wider community and as such we placed an access limit on the member’s account permitting her to only communicate with us directly to resolve the reported issue and to stop any further members from communicating with her unaware of open issues. This would explain the concerns/confusion highlighted by a few members over her status within the community.

As this and other threads indicate, x_Emily_x does have an affiliation with an advertising member here and it was deemed appropriate that whilst we take preventative measures immediately to ensure that no further fraudulent activity could be committed, the member be given the opportunity to resolve outstanding issues before it become publicly known of a developing situation.

The deadline we set requesting a resolution has now passed meaning that we can no longer afford the member the opportunity to resolve this privately – hence why we are now offering complete transparency. Those affiliated parties have been aware of this situation for some time and have assisted as best they can. Regretfully it seems that the situation involving mt99 is merely the tip of the iceberg as it seems nicky3clare the affiliate party seems to be experiencing problems of her own in contacting x_Emily_x regarding other business affairs.

As a final port of call, the community should be advised that we are aware this member x_Emily_x used manipulative and devious tactics to specifically defraud mt99 and that anybody else who is now reading this and is rather alarmed should contact us without further delay.

We will endeavour to keep this thread updated as soon as we have new information to disclose. In the meantime our work continues to assist those affected by this situation. We trust that whilst there have been snippets of criticism/dissatisfaction directed towards management specifically over this and perhaps other recent situations, we believe that we have acted in the best interests of those parties affected and the wider community. Please be assured that simply because we either delay or decline from disclosing information publicly, it is because we feel that in our eyes, the situation demands it. In the five years we have been operating we have not and never will shy away from our responsibilities as a third party provider. We are always open to members with differing views to contact us privately where your concerns will be taken seriously and responded to as soon as humanly possible.

*As indicated in our terms of use, members of our community are strongly advised not to do business with any other member outside of our registered advertising circle. The reasons for this are because there are limits to the action that we can take as we have no personal or business information in which to assist you should fraudulent activity occur.

Please do not put your funds at risk by entering into business transactions with those that are not fully pledged Community Advertisers.
  2. DavidLamX29

DavidLamX29

I will come forward, x_Emily_x also promised me a bundle but also I have sent money through and did not recieve anything. She also did not come online as I assume she has blocked me.

Please be aware as many of these fakes are around WholeSale Forum and starting to act like community advisors.

I have much evidence of this x_Emily_x and Address.
  3. Anthony

Anthony

Thank you for coming forward.

We feared that there may be others caught up in this. Please contact us via email as soon as you can with the following information: transaction specifics, including the amount you paid, via what method, on what date, and when you last had communication.
  4. ADC

ADC

I think Anthony should be commended for keeping us all informed on this and the way he has dealt with the matter as a whole.

I think a lot of us were taken in by Emilys enthusiasm (& Avatar), me included, and would never have for one minute thought she was a scammer.

It just goes to show, you live & learn.
  5. Tracy

Tracy

Always knew there was something not right about her.....

But didn't expect this! But as ADC said there is no telling the people who were sucked in.
  6. DavidLamX29

DavidLamX29

Yes I thank all you for investigation towards this issue, she was the type to make her self obvious when on Whole Sale Forums thats for sure.

If there are anybody else who has been scammed by her please come forward, this will enable the community to be safer and more aware of strangers who seem to know everything.

Thanks
    Dave
  7. Ben-Prestek

Ben-Prestek

I would add that as a comunity it is our responsability to notify Admin when members atempt to sell their goods or services without an active membership, if that had been done then the chance to scam anyone would not have surfaced. Its not expensive to advertise here and it represents a great investment, If someone is not willing to purchase it then they are clearly not planning on selling goods for long.

Too often we blame Mods and Admin but every active member here has the power to make TWF a safer place to trade by reporting unauthorised transaction atempts.

Remember kids.....Just Say No
  8. ballymoremonty

ballymoremonty

I think everyone was taken in by Emily, was she anything she made herself out to be or was the whole persona a scam?
  9. hardwareheroes

hardwareheroes

This is good enough to be stickied - well said !
  10. Gary

Gary

Thanks Anthony for keeping us informed when you thought was appropriate, and yes, CnM-Wales DOES have a very good point, we can ALL help to make the forum a safer place, I for one have never dealt with a non advertising member as they do not go through the verification process which is in place for advertisers which is there to further safeguard us against such scams.
  11. Xbox-Codes

Xbox-Codes

I agree with Tracy, Some things didn't quite add up with her. She seemed to be getting in every thread and making herself known. She was also too nice.

I'm in Manchester if I can be of any help - i don't mean I'll go around a give her a slap, I mean if anybody wants me to verify an address etc.
  12. greedyboy

greedyboy

Me and another member (TTL) here had off forum conversations about her and her antics.

Something was not right with that girl and had the classic makings of a 'sweetheart scam' in a majority of her posts.

I very surprised our banter turned out to be true though.
  13. Xbox-Codes

Xbox-Codes

Just checked out the address on Whois - I've got a friend who litrally lives 2 minutes away, has to drive down the street on the way to work.
  14. DavidLamX29

DavidLamX29

Hey I live in London I got scammed by this Emily I would really appreciate her address is verified
  15. greedyboy

greedyboy

WHat was you supposedly buying, if you don't mind me asking?
  16. jayjrc

jayjrc

i doubt she was too nice, she had a tendency to go off on people for no reason and then get really defensive about it, i cant say im her biggest fan, i did think half of what she said was utter rubbish, her asking for £6000 of the bat as an investment seemed somewhat strange to me and her dedication and her stories of woe had a tendency to be ott alot of the times, tbh but the fact she turned out to be a scammer has suprised me, she did get on the wrong side of alot of people on here, the other half it seems she managed to con, i feel sorry for nicky tbh as it seems they were quite close and from what i could tell had developed a personal relationship.
    Tastefultraders likes this.
  17. DavidLamX29

DavidLamX29

Games on Xbox 360
  18. ballymoremonty

ballymoremonty

Not that I had any dealings with her but I'm quite shocked to be honest, did Nicky meet up with her face to face or was it all their business conducted online I wonder?
  19. mdsltd

mdsltd

She was trying to obtain a credit account with us, obviously without any trading history I said No, however she appeared to be nice enough to me & being from Liverpool I'm not easily fooled ;)

Anyway I hope this matter is resolved for all the agrieved parties :niceone:
  20. DavidLamX29

DavidLamX29

Does anybody know a chance of getting my Money back from this girl? If she lived in London I would go pay her a little visit..
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.