1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

Free delivery. Is it a motivation to buy?

Discussion in 'Logistics - Payment & Shipping' started by Olga Unique, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Olga Unique

Olga Unique

Hi! I need more advices and opinion on whether free delivery is an additional option that can motivate you to buy something? Need this information for my own project (<mod edit: removed website address>). What is better lower prices or free delivery?
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2015
  2. Dan imports

Dan imports

Hello, from experience, free delivery is a motivator for people to buy something, however, it is important to remain competitive with your pricing.
  3. Parcelhub.co.uk

Parcelhub.co.uk

4. Low Cost Sourcing

Low Cost Sourcing

Surveys suggest between 60 and 70% of people (my wife included) are more likely to purchase a product if the seller offers free shipping even if it is more expensive but it all depends on the products you sell as to whether it is a viable option.

If you are selling products where the buyer often buys in multiples then raising the product price to offer free shipping might not be suitable as, for example, the buyer orders 10 of an item, they would really be paying the postage 10 times. But if you are selling products which mostly sell in singles then offering free shipping can be an added incentive to buyers.
  5. TerryYang

TerryYang

Free shipping will get your products rank higher on eBay or Amazon
  6. JermaineR8

JermaineR8

Delivery fees are part and parcel of shopping online, however, personally I feel obliged to receive free delivery and hate paying delivery costs

Sometimes I have even purchased more items than I initially intended to, just to meet the minimum spend for Free delivery (not everyone is as extreme as me though!)

Therefore as a seller, I always offer it then just calculate the cost into the price

If you offer a minimum spend before you offer Free delivery, it could force their hand into purchasing more items
  7. dawnlu

dawnlu

Yes, and no. No matter of free delivery offers will convert if the product isn't up to scratch. if i wanted the product anyway, it would motivate me to buy from the retailer over their competitor, but I need to actually want to buy in the first place.
  8. psxgamer

psxgamer

Depends where you live. I'm not from the UK. I used to offer free (=prices including shipping costs) because Ebay was pushing it so hard. On my own website it's price + shipping.

Used to get a lot of questions how much shipping would be because people are not used to free shipping. So lowered prices and added shippng. Now I have a constant promo Buy 2 items, pay only once for shipping. Most items I can ship together so don't have to pay extra shipping costs myself.

Furthermore on Ebay people mostly bought 1 item, on the website often multiple items. So by charging the shipping seperatly people pay less in total.
  9. SimonN

SimonN

It shouldn't be, but it is.
  10. chloe_wong

chloe_wong

I'd like to say "yes". After we used "free shipping" policy, we received more orders than before.
  11. rja75

rja75

I am not sure about stand alone websites but my experience is that on Ebay free shipping increases sales by quite a lot.
  12. liamhawes

liamhawes

Free shipping is well known to increase sales. Or increase average order value I.E free delivery over £10 etc. I'm a massive fan of conversion optimization. So many little things that can be done on a website that can add up to a big difference. Even how you word things. Or on mobile the use of the word 'Menu' Is known to work a lot better than the 'burger' icon.
    Cody likes this.
  13. Marek Bober

Marek Bober Banned Member

Another thing which bust sales is free returns- it depends on your products quality. Sometimes livelong warranty makes a boost- it depends on value goods value. Within range 1-20 GB only a few customer makes an effort to send you back items- but warranty makes the whole difference.
  14. psxgamer

psxgamer

Maybe a tip for people selling on Ebay: use free shipping (=price with shipping included) on Ebay to get a boost in the search results.

However on your website take the shipping costs out of your selling price and add it seperately. Like this the prices on your website will be cheaper than Ebay. You can combine shipping for customers that order serveral items. Like this ordering on your website becames a lot cheaper than on Ebay.

Most likely your most loyal customers are the most likely to order through your website instead of Ebay. A nice way to reward them. They can save money. Profit for you stays the same. Although not exactly true. You don't pay any Ebay fees so cheaper prices for your customer, more profit for you. a win-win situation.
  15. bargainrocks

bargainrocks

Actually free shipping is a marketing strategy used the most on China online shopping websites, it does motivate people to buy in China. According to statistics, 99% Taobao stores offers free shipping service to 30 provinces and districts(remote area doesnt include) and when people shopping online free shipping is one of the biggest aspect for them to make purchase decision. I'm not quite sure about this situation overseas, but in China it works.