Free Facebook Hidden Gem: The Power Editor (Tutorial)

Discussion in 'Social Media, SEO/SEM & Online Marketing' started by patrick mc, Feb 14, 2014.

1. patrick mc

patrick mc

Ever seen Pages post statuses like this?
    [​IMG]
    That was done in the Power Editor.
    Facebook has a hidden feature that many businesses do not know about. That status was made through a Facebook extension called The Power Editor. It used to be a Google Chrome Plug-in in its early days and now it currently works only with Google Chrome. The Power Editor is highly robust and gets all the beta updates first before you begin to see it in your normal page admin section. Instead of using a third-party social media application like Hootsuite or Buffer you can schedule posts directly in here. All posts you create are not published until you say so. This is a huge plus if you want to preview all your posts first before you hit send. You can also create advanced Facebook Ads through this as well; however the image you see above takes less than five minutes to do and it was FREE.

Let's begin:
    Open a new tab in your browser and copy this link: https://www.facebook.com/ads/manage/powereditor/
    The Power Editor is a little different because it downloads your Facebook Account Information each and every time you go to it. The first initial time for it to render is slow because it accesses all your Pages and Ads. Be sure to be in the Manage Pages section. If not go where the red arrow is and select Manage Pages from the dropdown menu.
    [​IMG]
    Now select create post under your Page's Title and Account Number. You should see this:
    [​IMG]
    I'm only going to focus on the Link Post Type for this initial series.

Here's a question you need to ask yourself before we continue:
    What is the purpose of the post?

In this example I wanted our fans to be aware of the new Canada Goose product that we had online and offer an option to buy it. For some of you a link directly to buy a product may not be what you want right now. Fortunately the CTA Button has some variations:

[​IMG]
    Pick one that fits with what you are wanting to share.

Moving forward there are several pieces of information you will need to make the post look complete.
    It's best to have everything first and then create the post. The Power Editor does not have an edit option after you create post; so if you made a typo or put a link without Google Analytics Tracking Parameters you have to redo the whole post.

Here's what you need:
    A URL -
    Find the link you are wanting to share with your fans. I'm using our Product Page for the Canada Goose Men's Ontario Parka.
    [​IMG]
    You can use a custom landing page, a blog post, newsletter sign up form, or even a coupon. It's up to you.
    If you have Google Analytics installed on your website be sure to include the tracking parameters. Go to https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033867?hl=en for Google's URL Builder. You can setup all the tracking.
    [​IMG]
    Now copy the link Google provided into the field that says URL. I understand GA's tracking parameters make your link longer and look ugly. That link does not show in the post. The display link is the one that shows. Basically the display link is your Vanity URL or fake URL. I used www.bigtexasmall.com/canadagoose. I honestly do not have that page on my domain. This is great if you do not have the resources to create landing pages through your IT department. The display link can be whatever you want it to be.
    [​IMG]
    Next step is the post text. This is what your status will be. This is different from the Description. I used a real short post because the focus is to click on the button not necessarily read the update.

Your Link Headline is the bold text above your Display Link. I used World Class Parkas | Big Texas Mall.

The Description is your link's description. Not a whole lot of characters can fit so try to keep it short.

The Picture is what you want displayed in the update. You have to the option to upload one or paste an image URL.
    Your image must be at least 50px by 50px and have a maximum aspect ratio of 3:1. Typically any image will do so this should not be a big deal.

Here's the final overview of the post in the Power Editor:
    [​IMG]
    Take note it says UNPUBLISHED. This means once you hit Create Post it hasn't been officially published yet. This is wonderful because you can actually view your post before it goes to the public. In addition there is a little disclaimer that states: This post will not get organic distribution until you decide to publish it to the Page. All that means is your post hasn't been published yet so there won't be any results like Reach, Engagement, People Liked. It will once you publish it.
    Now let's hit create post and you should be able to view your post now.
    [​IMG]
    You can see it on a Desktop News Feed or Right Column where Ads go. It shows a timedate but this only means the time you created it in the Power Editor. This does not mean it has been posted to the public.
    Here's what all the information we inputted means:
    [​IMG]
    We are almost through. All we have to do is hit publish.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You will notice you do not see your Call To Action Button. It's there just visible once published. You can also schedule a time to publish; however it is only as soon as a day in advance. You cannot schedule a post today and want it to post in two hours. You can schedule days or weeks in advance; but not the day of.
    [​IMG]

Hit publish and see your engagement rise.
    [​IMG]
    This is the end of Part 1. Be sure to check your Google Analytics Tracking and see how many people clicked on it.
    If you came across any issues through this reply back so I can clarify. I hope this helps all businesses out there through this simple and free way to make your posts more engaging. Thank you for your time.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
    ULAK, vzw2021, Dave and 2 others like this.
  2. studiobob

studiobob

Just tried this out, brilliant little tool - nice work for sharing!
    patrick mc likes this.
  3. Mogoko

Mogoko

Brilliant share, thank you.
  4. GreyJaguar

GreyJaguar

I use Shopify for my site, then use their free Facebook App that does all this for me. Everytime I add a new product to my website, it automatically also lists over at Facebook.
  5. Volantary

Volantary

Nice guide!
  6. Rick Hewitt

Rick Hewitt

So useful, thanks for sharing!
  7. Patricia Di

Patricia Di

Hi!

I'm already using the Audience Insight feature in Facebook Power Editor. It's really great but I think the parameters are broad. Now, I want to copy the audience of my competitor facebook page.

How can I do that? Thanks!
  8. ULAK

ULAK

I've used power editor for ads, but not for posts yet, I'll have to have a think since the built in CTA is better overal for conversion (not as good for engagement though so have to know what you want from a post).

Cheers
  9. cwvps

cwvps

I cannot believe I didn't know about this! Thanks a lot!!!