1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

freight to be collect

Discussion in 'Logistics - Payment & Shipping' started by webprojectuk.com, Apr 2, 2004.

1. webprojectuk.com

webprojectuk.com

Hi, I am looking to import some stuff over from china. I have been asked to supply a courier account to have some samples delivered. Does anyone here know of any good couriers in U.K? Also what is need to open an account, and any other useful information.

Your help will be appreciated.

Regards,
    A.R
  2. dvdworlduk

dvdworlduk

Hi

Dont know about this supplier but most far east exporters want courier accounts for fedex or dhl as these are available worldwide.

As for opening account couriers ask for company letterhead ,your registered company number and sometimes references .

thanks
  3. muttley

muttley

It depends on what you are importing and the quantity. if it is quota goods, some couriers won't touch small orders and irregular business.

Generally for a courier account you need to prove who you are and can you pay them.(letterheads + references).

Of the ones available probably the best to go for are: Fedex or DHL.
  4. tburrows22

tburrows22

Hi,

I was looking to get some products imported from China and Hong Kong a little while back. I had no problems setting up an account with DHL. I applied online, they phoned me the next day and it was sorted in about 2 days.

The problems started when I wanted to import the actual goods.

One order was for some gold watches, although I was saving about £300 to buy them I had to pay nearly £800 to get them imported.

Check all the costs before you actually buy anything. It is not always as cheap as you think ******************************************************************

Tom Burrows
  5. webprojectuk.com

webprojectuk.com

I know. The actual cost of tax and VAT is not bad for the stuff I wont to get in. However, the shipping is more expenive then I thought. At the moment I am looking to get in touch with some shipping companies over in China through my supplier. Just waiting for an email from him to see how much he would charge.

Does anyone on here know what insurance and rights would I have incase the stuff was to be damaged, late or my money being taken by the supplier but no goods ever arrived.

Thanks,
    A.R
  6. muttley

muttley

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
    This depends on the terms of Carrage and the terms of sale, If the goods are sold ex-works, you are responsible for all shipping (and delays), insurance and tax. However if the goods are sold DDP (Delivered Duty Paid) then the supplier is responsible.

Here is a link to the international chamber of commerce with a list of the various Incoterms (13 in total), that shows how the costs and responsibilities are split up.

http://www.iccwbo.org/incoterms/wallchart/wallchart.pdf

If you are wondering what an INCOTERM is I hope this helps:

Why Incoterms?
    Incoterms are international rules that are accepted by governments, legal authorities and practitioners worldwide for the interpretation of the most commonly used terms in international trade. They either reduce or remove altogether uncertainties arising from differing interpretations of such terms in different countries.

What do they cover?
    The scope of Incoterms is limited to matters relating to the rights and obligations of the parties to the contract of sale with respect to the delivery of goods sold, but excluding "intangibles" like computer software.

What are the 13 Incoterms?
    Each Incoterm is referred to by a three-letter abbreviation. Here is a complete list, with the meanings spelled out. Click on any of the 13 terms listed below and read a concise definition from the Preambles to Incoterms 2000. Several of the Preambles, marked below with an *, include a footnote referring to the Introduction. Click anywhere on those pages to view the relevant part of the Introduction.

EXW EX WORKS (…named place)*

FCA FREE CARRIER (…named place)

FAS FREE ALONGSIDE SHIP (…named port of shipment)*

FOB FREE ON BOARD (…named port of shipment)

CFR COST AND FREIGHT (…named port of destination)

CIF COST, INSURANCE AND FREIGHT (…named port of destination)*

CPT CARRIAGE PAID TO (…named place of destination)

CIP CARRIAGE AND INSURANCE PAID TO (…named place of destination)*

DAF DELIVERED AT FRONTIER (…named place)*

DES DELIVERED EX SHIP (…named port of destination)

DEQ DELIVERED EX QUAY (…named port of destination)*

DDU DELIVERED DUTY UNPAID (…named place of destination)*

DDP DELIVERED DUTY PAID (…named place of destination)*