1. Speak to our customer support team live today
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Thanks for visiting The Wholesale Forums! Register for FREE today and gain access to more information. Sign up with Facebook, Twitter, or Google.

News German supermarket removes foreign products from shelves

Discussion in 'Retail' started by Cody, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Cody

Cody

German supermarket, Edeka in Hamburg, removed all foreign products from its shelves in an attempt to raise the importance about diversity in the country.

This is a great move, and not just for Germany to make a point in, but perhaps something that many stores throughout the UK and even the US should focus on too? Racism is everywhere these days, and it's incredibly difficult to try and educated racists about the importance of diversity and culture in our economy and growth.

Shoppers entered the supermarket to notice that nearly everything within the store was missing, from your normal household goods to food and drinks. Everyday products were not available. She showed just how reliant they are on other countries for these much needed products; also focusing on the importance on trade deals.

The UK best get a good one by the way.

Edeka had anti racist signs put about different areas on its store, with some saying:"This shelf if pretty boring without diversity."

Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 13.29.36.png
    Whilst other signs read: “Our range now knows borders”, "This is how empty a shelf is without foreigners" and "we will be poorer without diversity."

Although many people had positive thoughts regarding this stunt, others were against it, believe it is no place for a supermarket to get involved in politics.

What do you think. Should retailers and stores demonstrate their political values like this?​
  2. Huda

Huda

I think it is great. Big companies need to stand up for whatever they think is right. They could influence a lot of people or at least get people talking as we are now! If everybody kept shush then change would never happen and conversations would never start.
    Cody likes this.
  3. Cody

Cody

I totally agree @Huda we can't live in a society where people get offended by the slightest thing, so whatever your political view - be it a justified one - people should stand up and say what they really think in order to make the right stance and point.

There is however, a limit to what one should do, and resorting to violence is never the right way to go. We see recently the hatred, anger and racism in the US, and that is no way to make your voice heard.
  4. Miss Rose

Miss Rose

I think it is ok for businesses to make political statements but it depends how far they take it and whether it offends/hurts anyone. I think this is fine as, although it is a little bias, it is just demonstrating in quite a factual way what the shelves would be like without diversity. I think it is a really interesting statement and it is good that the supermarket is showing support for suppliers of all nationalities - something that is clearly very important to their company ethically.
    I think this is actually a very clever ploy from the supermarket as the majority of people will agree with these points and respect the supermarket more for it.
  5. Erik

Erik

I think they are bringing in a fair point in this one, but surely at some outrage.

While I definitely commend a company putting its stand in racism - and mind you, I have asian blood in me - it still has to come to in some sort of way that will not compromise everything else.

Given the supermarket's example, it's fine and all to show your support for diversity, but does not really need to pull everything out of your store to prove a point. Regardless of what you fight for, people of every race, gender, or origin whatsoever need these products. I would perfectly understand it if they have thought of a workaround for this - say pull out the products from the shelves yet still available when you ask them - that way they could still show what they are fighting for yet would not compromise people needing those products.

Anyway, I just hope those customers looking for those products were still able to purchase them elsewhere.