Google Grow Program?

Discussion in 'Social Media, SEO/SEM & Online Marketing' started by Fray Bentos, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Fray Bentos

Fray Bentos

Got a call from someone from Google last week asking if I would interested in participating in their Google Grow Program

Bascially it's just an Adwords marketing campaign which they plan for you and adjust over a 90 day period, but you only pay the normal costs of the adwords

They said our business is one of 5 businesses they pick each month to work with, they use several factors to select the business which they get from your website and the market, but principally they only choose websites where they can see significant potential growth

I know little of Adwords and Ive never actually used it because I decided to concentrate on organic results at the beginning (I have had less time than I thought to work on this successfull) but also I was scared of stories of paying for clicks without conversion.

They have said they really only want to work with businesses that have a minimum monthly budget of £2000-3000, although I am able to stretch to this I do find that figure a little scary considering I have no experience, but getting an Adword marketing campaing created by Google themselves seems to be an offer I shouldn't really refuse

Does anybody have advice on this? or does anybody have experience with this program?

Do you think this may just a ploy to get money for Adwords from businesses who have shown no interest? it seems to good to be true
  2. Dean

Dean

Are you sure it was definitely Google? I've had ad companies phone up before saying they were from Google but when I've dug deeper it turns out it was just a line they used to reel people in. They usually called themselves something like Google department but with loads of emphasis on the "Google" and almost mumbling the "department"!!
  3. Dean

Dean

4. Fray Bentos

Fray Bentos

Hi, thank for your reply

Yeah i had that thought at first but im very positive it's the real deal, the contacts are on linkedin, emails and doc looks legit but If I was to go ahead with it I will try and call google to speak to them

5. psxgamer

psxgamer

Watch out with offers like that. Got an offer like that (in another field) also so-called 1 of a few companies they picked out for this special new offer. Looked very legit and a super deal. Thanks to a good friend I found out it was a scam company. Was able to get out of the contract with no penalty. Almost cost me a few Thousand €.
  6. Fray Bentos

Fray Bentos

But the money is going to Google via adwords, so how can it be a scam?
  7. psxgamer

psxgamer

Mine was also for online and other advertising but was not google. Got a very extensive and attractive explanation. They said it was a 2 year contract which you could end early.

In reality it was a 4 year contract and when ending early you pay a fine (60% of the remain value of your contract). Found pages and pages and pages with complaints about this company. At one time 30 lawsuit at once and everybody loosing because it was a legally binding contract.

The way this company does business. Have changed their name 3 times now. Reason why I didn't know them.

Yours may be legit but do some research about it. Got a couple of such offers. They don't do such a thing to do you a pleasure. They want to make money out of you (and often as much as possible).
  8. Fray Bentos

Fray Bentos

They are getting money for adwords, so they aren't just doing this for me, it's in their best interest to take sales from my other channels so both benefit if they get it right for me I guess
  9. psxgamer

psxgamer

Don't know the size of your business, but £ 2000 - £ 3000 is a lot of money.

I'm as you. I'm concentrating on organic traffic. Works great if you can do this right. +- 70% of my traffic come through organic search. Also gives most of my sales. Played with addwords in the past but without any results. Not enough experience with it but know that it's a money pit if you don't to it right.

Ask yourself this question: if you advertise for £ 2000, will it generate + £ 2000 in profit?
  10. Fray Bentos

Fray Bentos

That's what Im scared of and the reason ive never done it

I think im going to ask alot more questions about how they have got their data and then do more thorough market research myself

Just wondered if anybody had experience of this program
  11. LSPAUL

LSPAUL

The link you provided is actually regarding Google's partner program, encouraging digital agencies to parner with google. I am a Google Partner and I can confirm Google do offer this service direct to businesses, but generally it doesn't provide great results. From Google's perspective they want you to spend as much as possible, and they have no incentive to reduce your cost per click or the relevancy of each click they send you, as it reduces their profit.

One of our clients previously had a campaign with Google and they were just sending traffic to their eccomerce site onto a search results page, regardless of if there were any products available for that keyword. The going rate for somebody to properly manage your adwords account would be around 25% of your monthly spend, but you'll usually gain double that back in efficiency and lower click costs.
    Fray Bentos likes this.
  12. Fray Bentos

Fray Bentos

Thanks for your useful message LSPAUL, on my last call, I spoke of my concerns of the website's current conversion rate with the adwords suggested bids, they said in that case they should then concentrate on marketing google shopping which does seem more appealing to me

I think I will go ahead with it but I will do as much reading into adwords as I can in the meantime, see how they start compaigning in the first few weeks and what changes they make, then leave it if I can see they aren't doing a good job or if the market/website isn't suited for adwords
  13. LSPAUL

LSPAUL

Conversion rates can be down to the ads or down to the page you're sending them to. Could you show me your site, and i'll have a look if there are any obvious points which could be hindering conversions. I worked with one site who was getting 1 or 2 orders a day, now 5 or 6 a day, just from changing the layout.

I think Google shopping is a great product and can drive good sales, but it can also drive bad traffic just as Adwords can do. I would say go with Google Shopping, but first make them prove themselves on Adwords, and dont sign any long contracts until they have proven themselves able to do what they say they can do.
  14. Fray Bentos

Fray Bentos

Have sent you a peronal message
  15. Vitzz

Vitzz

Hi Fray

We were approached by Google a couple of weeks ago about Google Grow, and after some research, they are legit. I checked the email address and its from name (at) Google dot com. Plus, the person has a linked in acc and is saying he works for the one and only.

The reason for contacting us was exactly the same as yours. They want to encourage small companies with small budgets (as opposed to the large multi million firms), and that they see growth potential. The partnership is for 3 months, out of which the first is to set up the campaign, the second and third are for optimising and monitoring. Then, the idea is that we should be confident enough to keep it up from then on. I believe the value to them is on the intelligence and data gathered using us as the 'guine pigs'. But I was also wondering if the reason was because so far we've only spent our dollars on Facebook advertising - and I'm sure they can see that (!?!?!?)

After submitting the application (yes, you go through a selection process), stating also our marketing objectives and what we want to get out of the program, we got accepted. The only issue was that they were asking for £5K, which after careful consideration and taking into account the expected traffic/ leads, I came to the conclusion that that would be too much and more than what we can comfortably handle - we are in the motor trade.

So Ive got back to my contact and asked if its possible to lower the minimum 3 month spend to £3k, so that's pending their approval as we speak.

Meanwhile, I got to meet an trends researcher that works for Google by chance at an event, and he told me the following: "Google is a very ethical company to the point that every employee is induced to think about the good and benefit of their customer - both companies and people. They want to help humankind at large, that's their view. If you want to partner with somebody, you definitely want to do it with Google. Now, if this type or marketing / program / Ad words is for you, that's something only you can decide." I was sold!!

I still want to partner with them, provided they accept my offer. And if it goes through, I'll try and come back here to post about my experience.

All the best everyone!

Victor
    Last edited: May 30, 2016
  16. Fray Bentos

Fray Bentos

Hello Victor

We went with the program in the end, but we left after 3/4 weeks.

Maybe the program just wasn't for us but I was left a bit unsure about the plan they employed and I was dubious of this 'research' they had taken beforehand.

I think you have to be a business which has the money and doesn't mind wasting it at the beginning while they evaluate the campaign, whereas I believe a small business like ours needed to start small and then expand the campaign when you had more data.

If I was you I would tread carefully and make sure you get a written plan from them before you start detailing exactly what they are going to do

We left before they had a chance to fully evaluate the data and make changes to the campaigns but from what I could see I don't think they are offering anything different to what any other adwords marketer is offering.

Best of luck