1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

Heavy Items

Discussion in 'Logistics - Payment & Shipping' started by stack 'm high, Oct 9, 2003.

1. stack 'm high

stack 'm high

I'm having real trouble finding a courier who's prepared to provide next day delivery of 70KG parcels to private homes.......at a reasonable price. I'm expecting to shift aproximately 6 parcels a day so you'd think I'd get a good rate.

Does anyone have any recommendations ?

Any help appreciated

Stack 'm High
  2. Martin

Martin

I can see the problem. 70kg is more than a driver is allowed to lift so you commit yourself to a two-man van, instantly doubling the cost.

6 packages in one pickup is not considered "large" but I guess someone will take your money. To some extent it's dependent on who is local to you. I suppose you've tried Chronopost (01606) 737677, Securicor Omega, ANC 01782 564544, City Link, Red Star, Parcel Farce (AAgh) (0121) 212 1441...

70kg ... doubt if you'll see change out of twenty quid.

Martin
  3. AndyHenry

AndyHenry

Hi

Yup,

Martins right.

Is there any chance you could find a small local firm (man + van type arrangement) who would do this for you to get the regular business?

If the parcels are heavy rather than large, one man with a van that has a tail-gate and a movers trolley would be able to do the job.

You might be able to find someone who does removals and wants work to supplement their usual jobs.

Just a suggestion, I always just get heavy things sent from work (Obviously I pay, but we have a goods in/out warehouse and vans coming all the time).

Good luck.

LennyT
  4. stack 'm high

stack 'm high

No change from £20 would be a dream - I'm looking at £30 currently :cry:

Man and van / local option wouldn't work as parcels are sent all over the UK.

What do ebayers do that sell pool tables / trampolines etc ?
  5. AndyHenry

AndyHenry

ask em

Hey,

Why don't you contact a couple of Ebayers who ship large items and ask them?

I'm sure there'd be someone willing to point you in the right direction.

Just find a UK auction and email them.

If you find they're not forthcoming, pretend you're interested in buying the elephant (or whatever) they're selling and are concerned about how they worked out the delivery charges.

Good luck.

LennyT
    www.startbiz101.com
  6. FloridaFlyer

FloridaFlyer

May I ask what you sell that's so heavy? A friend of a friend of mine sells rocks on ebay- the cut, polished, pretty ones people like to collect, but I don't think any of them weigh more than a few pounds.