1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

Hosted solutions vs. your own website/cart

Discussion in 'E-Commerce and Online Selling' started by Pete, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Dean

Dean

Probably because they are too busy selling and prefer to pay for a managed/hosted cart so its less work for them and they don't have to retain a full-time designer/web techy on their staff.
  2. Andy777

Andy777

Because they're better! ;)

BUT I didn't say that - it's just my observation...
  3. Pete

Pete

Yes, why?

Is it that they spend any or more for SEO services, or realize the value of SEO and devote more time / resources that way?

Or is the the carts themselves?
  4. eAuction

eAuction

Partially agree, but I wouldn't say majority use hosted, probably around 50/50 at the moment, possibly with a slight weight towards self hosted, but maybe shifting towards hosted.

Some large companies will use custom made carts, but there's a fair few that will run on cart software, just not software that is open source or publicly available - the company will own their software and to use it you will need to get your full ecommerce solution through them.

As to the "Why?" a lot of it is convenience, a lot of it is the amount bigcommerce and shopify pump in to advertising - it's not necessarily about the product.
  5. Andy777

Andy777

lol, that's why I wanted to stay out of this thread - it's a never ending fight! :)

Just like Nikon VS Canon fans...
  6. Pete

Pete

As a Yank, I think of it more as Chevy vs Ford.....

I never intended this as a fight, but a serious discussion. I have personally learned a few things through it. As one who doesn't like to give up an iota of control, I've not found anything to convince me to pay $249 per month for unlimited. BUT, obviously better SEO (and consequent sales) results would be a MAJOR consideration.
  7. Andy777

Andy777

For me it's mostly peace of mind, reliability & support. (reasons why I use hosted carts). I do not pay $249 per month though, my most expensive shop is $100 per month and the price is that high mostly because of high bandwidth usage for that site.

I like hassle free updates, PCI/safety issues taken care of and never ending development of new features.

But as I have always said - there's no one perfect shopping cart.