How can I stop my business idea from being stolen?

Discussion in 'Legal, Insurance, Employment and Health & Safety' started by Hodson, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Andy777

Andy777

2. VeryMark

VeryMark

Re: Stop my idea being stolen

I would never recommend simply using a template without being sure that it actually covers your particular circumstances. The docstoc template is also drafted under U.S. law.
  3. Andy777

Andy777

Just an idea - I don't think OP will want to spend few hundred pounds on agreement put together by a UK based solicitor.
  4. Hodson

Hodson

Thanks for the ideas guys.

We are sure this idea is so good that we will most likely be happy to spend a fair amount to get a good and proper contract written up.

We actually may already have one interested partner in the business and as of yet, they don't have any idea what the business really involves so we could be looking at getting a contract written up soon.
  5. VeryMark

VeryMark

Have emailed you Scott with details of the solicitors I recommend.
  6. andy v001

andy v001

I would definitely contact a solicitor, don't try and go at it alone...

I believe several have advertised themselves in the marketplace, you could try them?
  7. andy v001

andy v001

Why not? Not disputing you Andy, i know nothing about this so am interested.
  8. Hodson

Hodson

Got the email thanks.

Is it possible to patent an idea such as mine (a website/web application)?
  9. andy v001

andy v001

As I said above, I don't know a huge amount about legal stuff. However i would imagine that assuming it is unique (i.e. not another www.addictinggames.com lookalike website - you get my drift), You would have the intellectual property rights over it.

Someone please correct me if i am wrong.
  10. VeryMark

VeryMark

Patents over websites/web applications/software/computer programs are a complex subject, Scott, and I suggest you speak to Peter, my patent colleague.

The program code and website graphics/layout/text would be protected by copyright in any event.

We have a factsheet on Websites, Databases & Business Software available here: http://www.verymark.info/?page_id=463. Our website at www.verymark.info also has free factsheets on patents and intellectual propery generally.
  11. Osctek

Osctek Banned Member

Speak to VeryMarky he knows what hes talking about ;)
  12. JZ100K

JZ100K Banned Member

Its very hard to get patent on an idea, specially where a website is concerned but I guess you could patent the technology behind the website.

But any ways im in the same boat, I have this great business idea and im looking for a partner.

**********************************************************************************

Can I ask what your website will be about? i.e selling or providing some kind of service or sharing information??

Any ways good luck.

And if you need someone to do your website. you can put up a notice on this site, then qulifiled people from around the world can see the request and will give you a quote and the cheapest or the person you want wins the contract.

Good luck buddy

Kind Regards John
  13. Andy777

Andy777

"Ideas" can't be patented at all...

But I believe this was not about patents/trademarks etc., - it was about a NDA between OP and webmaster.
  14. VeryMark

VeryMark

15. JZ100K

JZ100K Banned Member

Thanks I might be in touch soon, if I find my partner :thumbup:
  16. Andy777

Andy777

How can you patent an IDEA? (sorry, couldn't find explanation on that link)
  17. VeryMark

VeryMark

You can protect it by setting your idea out in the claims of a patent, if it is novel and inventive and capable of industrial application.

It is essential that details of the invention are not disclosed before an application for a patent is filed.
  18. Andy777

Andy777

At least, this is how I understand it:

http://www.ipwatchdog.com/inventing/patent-ideas/

Ideas can't be patented! You have to turn your idea into some sort of product (name, design, phrase, product, system, algorithm, functionality etc. etc. etc.)

Tell me if I'm wrong :)
  19. VeryMark

VeryMark

I think we are arguing about semantics - yes, it has to be reducible into the written claims of a patent, set out in a logical manner which expresses what is novel and inventive and workable about it (but, no, it doesn't have to be turned into an actual product). Once you have done that, it is no longer a "mere" idea but something protectable.

Drafting patent claims to ensure that maximum protection is obtainable while expressing the idea narrrowly enought to be patentable is a skilled job, which is why patent attorneys are employed.
  20. Lauren Hayward

Lauren Hayward

NDA (a non-disclosure agreement) can help.
    It is a contract through which the parties agree not to disclose information covered by the agreement.