1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

How do you keep your social media updated?

Discussion in 'Social Media, SEO/SEM & Online Marketing' started by Gary, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Gary

Gary

How do other people keep their facebook and twitter pages updated and how many use an auto poster from their store, blog, etc.

I generally just update my blog which then updates facebook and twitter accordingly via a facebook app I installed, or if I post directly to facebook, that tweets automatically too, I also have addthis installed on both my store and my blog, which on occasion I may use that to share an item on facebook (which automatically shares on twitter as mentioned), although using the addthis module on zen cart I needed to make a small addition to the hard code in order for it to use the correct product image.

I have also added a custom sidebox (widget) to my blog with like / follow buttons for facebook, twitter and youtube and a banner for my website, and on my store I have a sliding sidebox for the same but I also customised it to include google+ and my blog.

How have other people got their social media set up and what do you find works best?
  2. JustCraig

JustCraig

I don't - I am really poor at updating any of my Social Media profiles lol - Really need to pull my finger out....
  3. Import Expert

Import Expert

I am currently working on Woodlands Social Media launch..... I am planning to use slightly different angles for twitter and facebook but its still in a relatively early stage as need to ensure firstly that its for us and we are not just following the bandwagon and secondly we want to make sure we have everything covered before its launch, so we can lauch with a bang rather than start half heartedly and work from there.

One thing that does concern me while we are on the subject is that of visibility. With twitter for example we would obviously have a number of our clients following us. Freight forwarding is a terribly cut-throut industry so my concern is that this could be used by our competitors as a sales lead.

Did you have any training on facebook business pages Gary ? I've seen some companies offering one day comprehensive training but its not cheap, so I'm wondering if it would be a good investment or if there would be sufficient information on-line to get up to speed.
  4. Gary

Gary

Like I used to be, but now I literally take about 20 - 30 minutes a day to add 2 or 3 pieces of content.

I have never had any training Darren, as with my designing and basic coding / templates, etc. all was 100% self taught through research and trial and error and still learning more (almost) every day, so yes, information is available but it can be a very lengthy process as I can honestly say, I have never found anywhere that has 'all you need to know' and my time learning has been from multiple sources, it can also be a case of 'filtering the crap from the pool' so to speak, as not all information is good, which is why I would suggest looking at several sources of information prior to putting things into action (unless it's a trusted source of course), but I cannot say enough, when doing anything, back up before editing just in case.

All the best!
  5. Dave

Dave

:D Craig you sound like me.
    JustCraig likes this.
  6. planner

planner

I add content to my blog. From this I update Facebook. I don't have a Twitter account. I have most of the Icons on my blog, so anyone interested can post it to their site. I have just added Google +1 last week.
  7. Dave

Dave

What is the benefit of Google+ ?
  8. planner

planner

Good question Dave. The best person to explain would be Lace.:oops:
  9. Proudlock

Proudlock

One benefit of google+ (well at least i think I could be a useful benefit) for a business is the feature referred to as "Huddles and Hangouts", which basically refers to text based group chats and group video conversations. The 'Huddle' feature is the text based group message (similar to those group messages via SMS), which may possess a platform for businesses to hold discussions with customers about new products and services, or similarly as a discussion for an online training platform.

The 'Hangout' feature allows up to 10 users to have a video chat (discussion) in a real time scenario which again could be used for product discussions or a customer service platform to help out customers. The best feature though is that all the users can watch a video on Youtube together - giving an even larger rise to an online video training platform or product live demo launches.

Thats one of the best features of google+ in my opinion.
  10. planner

planner

Looks nice on my blog next to the live chat Icon lol.
  11. Anthony

Anthony

Good question Gary and one that a lot of smaller operators short on resources are currently facing. Frankly, the fact you are asking this question rather than resorting to automated feeds says a lot. My pet hate is seeing these automated feeds that are either ill-thought or just plain crap (but then when you are expecting a robot to inject personality what can you expect?).

It all comes down to scheduling. Scheduling for periods throughout the day when you don't have time to sit there and think about what you're going to tweet or post on Facebook or to Google+. Scheduling in the morning for throughout the day (or even the night before) is very realistic and something that actually we ourselves occasionally do. This means that whatever happens throughout the day, you have some updates going out to your audience and that presence you are trying to maintain is assured. Hootsuite is a tool we use as it allows multiple users (great for small teams), scheduling and custom feeds which help you stay on top of your key influencers, partners, customers etc.

For spontaneous conversation and engagement, there is really no way to substitute that and pretty hard to schedule unless you're reacting to something that's already happened. With that said, it should be possible to drop in from time to time during your day (coffee breaks, lunchtime, etc.) and do a spot of engagement.

Remember with these things, less is actually more. You are far more likely to be noticed if you are consistently sharing useful or interesting content than if you are consistently sharing garbage that is clearly not only irrelevant but automated, too. RSS feeds are for automation, you will not find the same behavior in any effective social media campaign.
    Gary likes this.
  12. Gary

Gary

Thanks for the input Anthony, by automated I meant sharing posts that I had personally selected / hand wriiten, edited, etc. no rss rubbish where I don't even know what was being posted ;)

That said, I have now removed the app I was using to auto update facebook and twitter when I posted on my blog as it's not really compatible with timeline now I have changed to that, it basiclly dispayed 2 posts from the last 4 / 5 days, needing to select a drop down to see the rest, so deleted those and am sharing directly from the blog using the add this module (which displays better anyway as also since the timeline 'upgrade' the auto posts were tiny), got some catching up to do but will get there, will just add a couple of extra bits a day on top of the fresh stuff.

I don't post that much to be fair, generally a few pieces daily, and where my new project is consumer electronics such as mobile phones, consoles, games, etc. my posts are generally my offers, what's new in stock, what's new with the site but so as to not bore readers with me, me, me, I also post tips and reviews on mobile phones (for now, will probably expand on that at a later date), but keeping it relevant to what we do.

Good advice regarding the scheduling, and I completely agree, nothing beats the personal touch (unless you have the subtlety of a sledge hammer of course), and I do try to inject the occasional piece of light humour, and use basic language as opposed to terminology which may be difficult to understand for my readers, basically, putting it straight and simple and easy to read from person to person as opposed to techie to techie like some do.

Have bookmarked that link you shared, will look into it another time though as I'm putting in long days at the moment and I still have a fair bit to do, but media wise, I have my website, my blog, facebook, twitter, youtube, & google+, I know there's more but will maybe get round to those once things are a bit more established (as this is only a low budget, part time thing at the moment), only been working on this for about a fortnight and I've changed hosts, done logo's, banners, artwork and a couple of bespoke forms for my website so don't think I'm doing too bad...lol.

I am posting manually to google plus and linking within the post to my blog (or wherever) and it is looking far more professional (on the 2 posts I've made...lol but only set that up tonight so can be excused, been 'sharing' more to my personal google+ account though which I will probably continue to do), I will soon extend more manual posts to facebook too when I have a little more time.
  13. Anthony

Anthony

My points were made in general and not directed at you per se. I just find the automation of social media extremely frustrating as it litters networks with junk the rest of us have to sift through. Frankly, I think the networks themselves should do more to prevent it, but I know they are trying hard. I think you grasp all my other points and it sounds like you're heading in the right direction. I'm doing a seminar on social media ROI next week, keep an eye out for it, I think you'll find it useful.
    Gary likes this.
  14. Gary

Gary

I got that it wasn't aimed at me Anthony, I just said what I do to, which again, emphasises the same (or at least a similar), point as you were making.

I will keep an eye out for the seminar, always interested in extending my online marketing skills (especially social media related as I have less experience within this field).
  15. Alexander MacGregor

Alexander MacGregor

I think from a personal perspective, you have to be yourself. This means basically conversing with people online as you would people in the physical world, how and when you like.
  16. Tango34uk

Tango34uk

I pay someone 5% of any orders that come in via facebook :) they do all the work for me!
    SimpleEarth and JustCraig like this.
  17. Lace

Lace Retired Moderator

Hi Dave,

At the moment and while Google+ is fairly in the early stage, its main influence is on search engine rankings.
    +1's are similar to Facebook's likes, but likes don't really affect your Google rankings which sends customers to your site.

On the other hand, +1's and having a Google+ Page for your business does affect your rankings and shareability:
    http://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/how-you-can-use-google-plus-to-impact-search/
  18. JustCraig

JustCraig

Thats a really good idea. I may 'borrow' it - So how does it actually work....lol
  19. Gary

Gary

How do you track that they came from facebook, is there a certain software?
  20. multibrands

multibrands

Hello Gary,
    Its realy hard to get time for social networking. but I personaly used to spend few hours on facebook, twitter, blogging and forum updates. Many times my inbox get full with those notification.
    Apps. like addthis help me a lot, many option at a time. But the blogging take quite more time than facebook and twitter. Searching for shortcut option for those also...

cheers!:)