1. Speak to our customer support team live today
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Thanks for visiting The Wholesale Forums! Register for FREE today and gain access to more information. Sign up with Facebook, Twitter, or Google.

How do you know if your product has a Patent infringement?

Discussion in 'General Wholesale' started by Keon Jendayi, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Keon Jendayi

Keon Jendayi

I want to create a product based off the shape of a football helmet. I want to create the product but I know there is a patent on the football helmet and everything else on the planet. If I create a product that looks like a football helmet like a mug, or candy mold. Can I be sued for making a product that looks like a football helmet but is not used for football.
    Cody likes this.
  2. megadanny1

megadanny1

I would suggest you started by looking at the government patent website https://www.gov.uk/search-for-patent You might also want to look at the gov.uk trademark website. If your selling in non UK countries also have a look at there respective sits.

I very much doubt that an abstract football helmet shape can be patented, I'm not a legal expert but a football helmet is a lot like a hull of a ship, it's generic, there are only so many ways a football helmet can be designed, You might find patents for specific features of a football helmet but I can't see the generic shape holding a patent.
    KW452190 and Cody like this.
  3. Erik

Erik

Football helmet patent:
    https://www.google.com/patents/US37...ved=0ahUKEwiu4LmSi7zQAhXKsY8KHTNkAK8Q6AEIGjAA

As for mugs, I do not see a football helmet shaped mug in Google's patent directory, but I see images that resemble the idea you are looking for:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=foo...ved=0ahUKEwilt6-ri7zQAhUJRI8KHcCZCA8Q_AUICCgB

I think mug designs using just ceramic mold to shape it into such does not have a patent issue. I think you should be more worried that when making these mugs, branding would be a better concern (team brands, logos, etc). Firstly, you should have an approval from the team management that you use their intellectual property (logos, name etc) for your products, and they would likely take a cut from it. I think that would go the same for candies or anything you might think of. Unless you will make your mugs / other products as generic (like just a plain football helmet shape, no team brand or anything), then I guess you would be safe.
    KW452190 and Ajhar Khan like this.
  4. KW452190

KW452190

I was reading somewhere related to Patent infringement and how you can smartly get away from it. Is Patent infringement applies on the products as well like mugs, molds etc? I think the chances of getting caught is very less but how can one find out if someone is copying his/her property when it comes to designs and patterns?
  5. Vijay Jadhav

Vijay Jadhav

Patent can be registered for anything unique. Also, it saves your work from getting copied.