1. Speak to our customer support team live today
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Thanks for visiting The Wholesale Forums! Register for FREE today and gain access to more information. Sign up with Facebook, Twitter, or Google.

How much is my website worth?

Discussion in 'E-Commerce' started by alexrostman, Aug 20, 2017.

1. alexrostman

alexrostman

Hello,

I am the owner of a celebrity blog and forum, I have seen that it’s possible to sell website on the internet so I was checking an online tool and I found the value of my site is around $75,000.

I really would like to sell it as soon as possible.

Can you guys give me a confirmation about the metric and system used to evaluate my website?

I have contacted BizBroker24, a good Mergers and Acquisition company of E-Business and they told me they can give me 3.0x multiple of my NET Income (Cash).

What do you think about it?

Thank you a lot!
  2. CL102

CL102

First, forget online tools. There is no online tool that can value your website. Trust me on this. Every single one of them will come up with a figure, but just not the figure you'll get from selling your website. The figure they give you is usually far above what you'd get if you do find a buyer. The only way to know what the market will pay is to take your business to market and market it well.

I know BizBroker and EmpireFlippers and FEInternational and QuietLight. I also know brokers who do the higher value websites (like Basil Peters of exits.com). I would suggest that all brokers are suitable only for the larger revenue businesses, say a few hundred thousand dollars. Even then you really need to know how best to use them and how to make them work hard to sell your website. For a website of your size I suggest you sell it yourself.

You may be tempted to use Flippa.com, but despite all the hype you'll hear about Flippa, they are essentially a marketplace for $500 template type sites, not proper businesses. Yes, the odd higher value website does sell on Flippa but investors looking for the better websites making a decent revenue tend to not go to Flippa type locations but to other business-for-sale marketplaces. There is a list of such marketplaces here.
    Import Expert likes this.
  3. Cody

Cody

wong45 likes this.
  4. liamhawes

liamhawes

Yeah, online tools can be pretty sketchy and wildly inaccurate.

I'd recommend empire flippers if you're serious about selling your site. They also have a ton of guides and helpful blog posts available on various subjects.

Valuation can vary a lot depending on age of site, variety of traffic sources, email lists included, variety of income sources. Averages tend to be from a 20x average monthly net profit up to 40 in some cases.

Here's a link to the empire flippers sale page which has some info on it https://empireflippers.com/sell-your-site/

"We typically list a website by taking the average of the last 3 to 12 months’ of net profit and then multiplying that figure by a multiple ranging from 20-40+, depending on a number of factors2

Hope this is of some help to you.
    Cody likes this.
  5. CL102

CL102

Absolutely!

Other attractive attributes from the buyers' perspective:

- A website that is not reliant on the owner. So a personal blog, however much it's earning, is not attractive because it relies on your personal skills / contacts / social network / unique view of the world.

- A strong domain, including a good domain name (with protective registration for typos) combined with high reputation backlinks and, to a lesser extent nowadays, an aged domain.

- Intellectual property: A website that owns a vast amount of quality material be it articles, images, videos, code or something else. Especially if that material is "evergreen".

- Community: Forums do generate less income per 1000 pageviews than some other types of sites but a large forum with an active membership is very attractive especially if those members belong to a particular (high CPC) profession eg. law. UGC rocks! ;)

- Subscriber lists: @liamhawes did touch on this. It's not just about number of subscribers, it's whether they are double opt-in, whether the list has been cleaned recently, what percentage regularly open and read your newsletter etc.

- Upward earnings trend: A site that is on the decline, or one that has flatlined, is not as attractive.
    Cody likes this.
  6. CL102

CL102

[quote="Selinawhite, post: 1359442, member: 296219"sometimes the data is totally wrong.[/quote]
    Not "sometimes". Try "always".
  7. wong45

wong45