How should I pay my Pakistani supplier on Alibaba?

Discussion in 'Logistics - Payment & Shipping' started by MSFB, Jan 31, 2011.

1. MSFB

MSFB

had a long IM convo with a supplier over an order i want to place.

At the end of it he agreed to send me 2 samples in 1-2 weeks. He asked for my 'courier import account number' at first which i dont have and have no idea what it is.

Then he said i would have to pay for the samples, fair enough. $53 USD im assuming mostly the cost of postage as the items are $8-10 to produce. He wants payments through western union or moneygram, i said no I only deal through escrow, at which point he told me it was not available in pakistan.

on aliexpress escrow is used on all payments so theres no problem, but i dont know what i should do about paying this guy.

What is my saftest option? How do you usually pay on alibaba?
  2. DOLCE VITA

DOLCE VITA

i'm a newbie too; more or less. From my research and readings on this forum you have done the right thing by suggesting payment through Escrow as 'scammers' are easily detected this way. Also wester union is and the other are not goo neither since it will be difficult to trace you money in case of problems. It rings alarm bells to me, i'd leave him in search for another. I am looking to order from there myself, I am a little skeptical but it is important to make an informed choice/decision. Take you time or you might risk loosing money.
  3. dazzeruk37

dazzeruk37

why not ask him to post and you will pay on delivery as you will be buying more if they are genuine meaning he will gain more money in the long run say you dont mind paying and would like him to send and that as soon as delivery is made only then will you pay by western union and you will pay for other orders by western union before he ships the goods but only after you have inspected the samples that way if they are fake or poor quality it doesnt cost anything
  4. mgroadster

mgroadster Banned Member

Jump in yer van, get down dover then turn right at Calais and drive to Pakistan with a load of Rupees in a swag bag, pay cash and drive back...Jobs a good'n.

Sorry forgot...don't forget some Cheese and pickle sarnies to take with yer, you may be driving a little while.
  5. MSFB

MSFB

ive said ill transfer after i receive the samples. got a feeling he wont like that idea...
  6. mgroadster

mgroadster Banned Member

Of course he won't.......you could be the scammer!:)
  7. Anthony

Anthony

I wouldn't fret too much about payment method, I would worry more about how much due-diligence you have carried out and whether your risk has been minimised as much as possible.

A lot of overseas supplies, particularly those in Asia and the Far East, will simply not accept Escrow, PayPal or Credit Cards (these are regarded as some of the more secure methods of payment). Conventionally, all trade transactions are done bank to bank, either via Cheque, Cash or Wire Transfer. Escrow is extremely uncommon.

At some point, regardless of how much due-diligence you have carried out, you are exercising a degree of risk. That's business. What a lot of people forget is that due-diligence trumps payment method. Due-diligence protects you, not a supposed secure payment method.
  8. MSFB

MSFB

why do they refuse the accept suecure payment methods? are there large charges associated with these? because my next suggestion was going to be to pay via paypal
  9. saliky3k

saliky3k

Hi. I am a Pakistani. Unfortunately we dont have any services like paypal and escrow. What are you trying to import MSFB?
  10. Sourcing Agent

Sourcing Agent Banned Member

I have no idea about escrow in pakistan, but I know lots of people do not know escrow here during the last five years. If you can feel him/her sincerity after a long time communication, why not try them? I think $53 USD is not much for you. If you get a reliable supplier, you will win much more.

There are lots of risk during international trade, but high risk always be together with high profit. If you can get a honest & reliable supplier by $53 USD. You win a lot.

Good luck!:thumbup:
  11. 1mmy

1mmy

I would be very wary as to the amount of money you send over for products when dealing with a seller for the first time.

I've been scammed before on Alibaba by a seller in Pakistan, paid for items that never turned up.
    Luckily is wasnt alot of money but i've learned from my mistakes.
  12. MSFB

MSFB

well thats the problem, apparently you cant have a paypal account in pakistan and escrow is out of the question too for some reason...

ive asked for personalised samples and detailed pictures of these before i pay $53 for them. I guess if i pay 53 and he disappears then its not too bad. though of course he could lure me in by sending the samples then run off after i make a proper order.

can anyone suggest the BEST way to send money to pakistan in this situation?

He's asking for western union or moneygram - are there any more secure ways to pay that i should be looking at?
  13. Saajan

Saajan

He's correct about not being able to accept PayPal. Pakistan isn't mentioned here:

https://www.paypal.com/worldwide/

No, there are no other secure ways of sending payments. Your only options are those that he's given.

Normally, suppliers won't send samples for free or before you make the payment due to so many timewasters out there, who either walk off with the sample or just never purchase.
  14. MSFB

MSFB

i dont even care about paying for samples (i just did), but when it comes to making a large order, im not gna feel safe sending £300-400 with no protection. plus western union charges a nasty fee. surely there must be a better way.
  15. Saajan

Saajan

16. MSFB

MSFB

does anyone else have any tips on sending money to pakistani suppliers?

I paid £60 for some samples, which duly arrived and look good.

However i still dont feel comfortable sending £300-400 through western union to a random guy in pakistan.

any advice/experiences appreciated!
  17. planner

planner

Don't do it full stop. Getting samples is easy. Just tell them you are not prepared to pay by western union.
  18. mgroadster

mgroadster Banned Member

If you'd followed my advice in the 1st place, You'd be on yer way back from Pakistan now with the stuff in yer van, (inc. some moody rugs and brand name polo's) all paid for in cash and be contemplating a trip to the Hypermarche in Calais to get fags n' booze, (to flog down the market) before getting the tunnel back to Blighty,
  19. Swiftkidd

Swiftkidd

Agreed! Trust your instincts, If they ain't willing to meet half way then walk away
  20. MSFB

MSFB

what do you mean meet halfway?

Pay half up front and the other half on delivery?