How To Persuade People To Open Marketing Emails?

Discussion in 'Social Media, SEO/SEM & Online Marketing' started by Adamwells, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Adamwells

Adamwells

I have tried this with my previous business venture by sending out mass emails to previous customers. The problem is that many of them don't actually bother to read the email or even open it, which makes me sad.

This makes me wonder, what am I doing wrong?

I have a catchy title and discount codes are included in the email itself, so if they opened it then they could save money.

Whats your success rate with marketing emails? do they work? if yes, how do you get it to work?
  2. psxgamer

psxgamer

It has more to do with Hotmail/gmail then with your emails.

A lot of these emails are considered being spam so go directly in the spamfolder. In Gmail you have to click before you even see your spamfolder.

There has been a steep decrease in opening rates for marketing emails. People don't open them because they don't see them.

I have a +- 25% open rate. Accordingly to Mailchimp this is above the industry average but used to be a lot higher.
  3. Alistair Westwood

Alistair Westwood

Ya most of the mails send can be shifted to spam folder ,you can opt for premium mail chimp account for landing those mails in their inbox rather than in spam section.
  4. beacon hill

beacon hill

Not sure, but is it right that if you put such words as special offer, great deal, discount etc in the title, you
    are increasing your chance of going in the spam folder ?

I send emails to members of a club I attend in my field. One member has told me whenever
    he sees an email special offer he wont open it. But if it is an email about a latest product or
    news he will have a look
    MarkHenry and Warrior Hunters like this.
  5. Cody

Cody

Yes, it all really does depend on the keywords used in your titles. As @beacon hill said, words such 'special offer, great deal' etc does to many people seem like spam, and will automatically be sent to the spam folder rather than the inbox.

I've been doing some research, and it's said that a title with a leading question can actually increase the open rate of your emails. Though remember, it is all trial and error, trying to find what works for you by performing split testing is something that could give you an idea of what interests your members....
    beacon hill likes this.
  6. Ross

Ross

I find I open more email marketing emails when the company uses a really unusual subject. The sports supplier Wiggle sometimes have some very strange subject lines which gets me to open their emails.
    Warrior Hunters, Cody and beacon hill like this.
  7. Warrior Hunters

Warrior Hunters

I also do email marketing and as stated above the keywords in your subject are very important so never use (Offer,sale, £££, $$$), or similar as it will always land in peoples spam unless they already have you in there contact list.
    This is why the best customers are the ones who have signed up for your newsletter voluntarily as they expect to receive and will at least look at your first email offer.
    Whereas if you just pull the emails from paypal alone then many wont open as they feel its just gonna be junk.

I lot of sellers forget that using your personal email is a no no as using your business name will attract opens more especially if your using a hosting domain email ( example info@domain.co.uk )
    this way sometimes gives google a bit more confidence in your mail and gets it direct to customers in boxes.
    But i would suggest send your customers a soft none advertising email first and ask them to add you to there contacts for future offers to ensure they at least get to their in box.

I use all these steps and my open rate is now between 30% and 40% :)

I hope this helps and yes always try to send via mailchimp or similar platform.
  8. Cody

Cody

You also don't want to be using a very stale and old database of emails.

Focusing on getting others to sign up by various methods such as set some events or competitions where if people want to join they'll need to add their email to do so, that way you've got some good emails for a new updated database.

@Warrior Hunters great numbers for the open rate! Really well done.
    Warrior Hunters likes this.
  9. themrgarycole

themrgarycole

I agree with @Cody. It really depends on how you use words to your advantage (title/subject). I don't open or click emails that I think/see that are obviously aiming to market. (special offer, great deal, discount etc in the title)
    SophieHendrix likes this.
  10. SophieHendrix

SophieHendrix

This is true. I'm one of those that don't open emails that the subject title seems odd or spammy. It would be best to steer clear of these keywords (special offer, great deal, discount etc in the title)
    themrgarycole likes this.
  11. themrgarycole

themrgarycole

It's great to know that I'm not alone in this, to say the least. People are now smarter than ever when it comes to these kinds of marketing strategies, that being said, marketers should rise to the occasion and come out with something different to be noticed.
  12. aprilflower

aprilflower

To my mind, it is also important to send letters the target audience to have a greater open rate. If you send letters to random people, you can not be sure that they will be really interested in your e-mails.
  13. Cody

Cody

There can be so some good ways to target the right audience. Whether it be via a Facebook Pixel, and have a conversion of signing up to your website via a Facebook ad. You'll then build an audience based those that clicked your ad, and could perhaps send newsletter that way.
  14. Mike Cartwright

Mike Cartwright

Focus on three things:
    1. Email subject lines
    2. Email preview text
    3. Timing
    Make sure that your email subject lines are short (so that it is mobile-friendly), personalized (include the first name of the recipient), and catchy (you can ask a question or you can highlight your product's benefits).

Second, you need to also make sure that your email preview text is great. They are the extension of your subject lines. Do not go straight to selling. Personalize it more.

And lastly, the timing of your email. Different industries have different behavior. Make sure that you research the best times to send an email to your specific target market. From my experience, most emails are opened and replied when I send it early in the morning or at night.
    Cody likes this.
  15. Nikki Sharma

Nikki Sharma

1. Have a specific decision in mind.
    2. Start by writing your conclusion.
    3. Structure your supporting argument into "digestible chunks."
    4. Bolster each argument with evidence.
    5. Repeat your conclusion as a "call to action."
    6. Stick a benefit in the subject line.
  16. MarkHenry

MarkHenry

Hi,
    I agree with @psxgamer, @Cody, @Mike Cartwright
    Try:
    1. Attracting subject line & should be short
    2. Avoid Offers, Best Deals, Free things, etc. etc.
    3. A short email is good
    4. Try to mention recipient's F. name

I am using those always. 25-35% is my rate. It's not good enough but I am satisfied. I am doing outreach work and still, it is effective.

Thanks
    Mark
  17. DigitalSheppard

DigitalSheppard

Personalisation is another factor to consider here. Identify the customer's motives for opening the email and if they would even be interested in receiving such a thing.

If you can ensure your customers are receiving the information they are interested in, such as newsletters or offers, your open rate should benefit.