1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

I guess it was inevitable - TWF competing with merchants

Discussion in 'Forum Support & Feedback' started by Pete, Apr 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pete

Pete

I got the idea where things were headed when I started to respond to the recent survey TWF asked members to help with. It soon became apparent it was not a real survey, but a sales tool, so I quit at that point.

So it was of no surprise to see in the "newsletter" that the results are being used to sell a product in competition to those of us offering hosting and shopping cart services.

I would guess, but will happily receive any information to the contrary, that this is some sort of affiliate arrangement that TWF has entered into with the supplier.

I understand the fact the forum is a for profit operation, and I have no complaints of any ads of whatever sort that may be displayed within the forum, they are part of the landscape and an accepted part of most forums. But to actively promote a product that is in the same category as a number of paying Community Advertisers are promoting sort of goes a bit too far, in my estimation. It turns the forum into a competitor, not a business generator.
  2. UKbuyer1

UKbuyer1

Have you voiced your concerns to Anthony Pete?

It doesn't affect me as I'm not an advertiser, but can see how it could be in direct conflict with you and others offering such services.
  3. Pete

Pete

No, I have not discussed it with him at this point. I thought I would get the mood of the members first.

Understanding, of course that he may jump in as well, but I was wondering if I'm the only one who does not like direct competition from someone we rely upon for advertising.
  4. John

John

You are not the only one. I completely agree.

Sent from my GT540 using Tapatalk
  5. mgroadster

mgroadster Banned Member

I did that survey, but judging by my honesty in my answers, they probably wrote me off as a tool.
  6. LazyBrit

LazyBrit

I understand the problem and agree with your side, it doesn't make any difference to me but its a little unfair to the advertisers that do.

Thanks

Alex
  7. jayjrc

jayjrc

Thats a bit suprising, guess everybody is after $$
  8. Michael

Michael

Pete, dare I quote you from a previous thread you commented in?....

9. londonking

londonking

10. jayjrc

jayjrc

Jay I think you misread, he said hosting carts etc
  11. Just Browsing

Just Browsing Banned Member

Maybe just best of to ask Anthony, to be honest its his business and he runs it to make himself money. He does not seem like to sort to cut of his nose to spite his face so I would be interested as to the whole story of this.
  12. londonking

londonking

Oh I did not know there was a hosting cart offered. I just knew about an Ipad being offered. Like some members said, the forum is a business and it need to earn revenue by selling advertising.
  13. Pete

Pete

Micheal I would have expected nothing less from you, and I mentioned that at the start of this thread. I imagine he took stock of how many advertisers he would piss off and what it would cost him in revenue if they all departed, weighing that against the hoped for commissions for steering folks to the package they are promoting.

And very possibly he thought that some, such as myself were so deeply entrenched, we'd put up with it, regardless.

BUT, there is a lot about the forum that also represents good business practices and responsible activities, while avoiding conflicting things such as discussions of VAT avoidance and buying or selling fakes.

king, you miss the point entirely. Maybe you have not received the "newsletter" using the result of the "survey" showing how everyone would be better off using a new to most of us package that includes what I am concerned about, not iPads - rather, ecommerce websites, that contribute to the income of a number of hosts, designers and SEO improvement sellers on the forum. He can give away iPads, Easter bunnies, whatever, even a free ecommerce website to a lucky winner. Not a word will every escape my lips,

BUT - when he starts promoting a product that competes with so many of us for his own profits directly relating to the amount of sales delivered when there are plenty of offerings already available, he is picking the pockets of those who have helped raise him to the level he might think we are no longer necessary. I find that scary.

It's like the newspapers or magazines taking money from advertisers and then offering the same products themselves.
  14. Just Browsing

This is the only thing I do not agree with Pete, surely without him you would not be as successful either. AND without the customers/forum users you would both be screwed.
    The rest of your post was spot on.
  15. Pete

Pete

16. Michael

Michael

Pete it seems your view is that TWF is only Anthonys business to operate as he sees fit until it effects you directly!
  17. Just Browsing

Well thats a bit like a kick in the teeth to the advertisers. But to be honest I dont think you have to worry as members come here asking for advice on how to build websites etc and thats where you lot get your business from. Also who would recommend them?? I only recommend people who I have seen doing it on here without grief, they are unknown to me.
    Do you know much about this company???
  18. Just Browsing

Always trying to start a row, but the first one to report when something is said about you.
  19. londonking

londonking

Pete, I think your making a mountain out of a molehill. I do not think Anthony has an ulterior motive regarding this.

I am sure you have profited greatly in your business from this forum and long may it continue but I do not believe you are responsible for propping up the forum from it's inception or are responsible for where it is now.
  20. Pete

Pete

No question I would not be as successful. That is the scary part. It would not be in my interests to "vote with my feet" and leave. Which does leave him in the driver's seat, able to walk all over me with such deals. Maybe next month he'll start dropshipping.

Maybe I'd better make an offer for a percent of my sales so I'll be the favored one. :)

Taking advertising from anyone willing to pay is one thing, but partnering with someone and then using the "power of the pulpit" to market to 50,000+ members about a product that directly competes with not just one or two, but a right good number of ACTIVE forum members, definitely rubs me the wrong way.

I'm sure Micheal will rejoice, until there is a deal set up with a wine distributor.

I feel that once the divide between "publisher" accepting advertising and "sales outlet" for specific partners is accepted, there will be all sorts of competition for others beside those of us offering website type services. I think the term is "slippery slope".
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.