1. Speak to our customer support team live today
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Thanks for visiting The Wholesale Forums! Register for FREE today and gain access to more information. Sign up with Facebook, Twitter, or Google.

I moved to China - real life of a buyer & exporter

Discussion in 'Start-ups & Business Advice' started by Daniel Cassidy, May 2, 2012.

Why have you not imported from china?

1. Lack of funds

33.3%
  2. Scared of taking the plunge

14.3%
  3. Trust issues with suppliers

38.1%
  4. Worried about quality control

33.3%
  5. I already have a Lamborghini

33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Daniel Cassidy

Daniel Cassidy Banned Member

Ever feel like you could do something really cool with your life?

I get that feeling and it eats away at me.

I decided to do something about it….

You know that dream you carry around with you each day?
    It’s kinda important.
    Wasn’t it what you were put on planet earth to do?
    They say everyone has a calling, can you still hear it?
    Doesn’t it eat away at you?
    That treadmill you are on, did it ever get too much?
    Did you ever wonder what it would be like to do your thing?
    Did you ever feel time was passing you by?
    Just how many days have you left before your last?
    Did you ever wonder about stuff like that?
    Did you ask yourself ‘what was stopping you?’
    There is never a right time.
    You will be too old.
    Too young.
    Too something or other.
    When was last time you took a risk?
    Did you remember how alive it made you feel?
    There are no guarantees of success.
    It’s not called a leap of faith for nothing.
    It’s not too late, honest.
    Jump.
    You might fall.
    You might fly.

In February 2012 I decided to jump, I moved to China in search of Happiness, Self-Fulfilment and the Lifestyle i want. Will I Fly? read on……..

I moved to China from the Darlington in the UK after 6 years of importing into the UK. I knew there was a gap in the market to offer a streamlined and simplified solution for wholesale buyers to buy directly from China from a trusted source. I decided to take the leap and set up my own export company in China.

I have tried my hand at many things in the UK some have brought me a return and others have brought me lessons.... All experiences that have enriched me in some way. These business ventures have been very varied from takeaways to retail outlets to online stores. The ones that have worked have given me funds to move forwards, the ones that have failed have given me lessons to stop me falling backwards. In a time when economy is unstable it is important to keep a positive perspective on negative ventures I think?

Through all of this the stable income I have had has been from Import, Export and Distribution. It remains my genuine passion and the one thing I hope I will always be involved in. For me it is the purest form of business. Buying a product at its lowest price possible and moving it to where it is worth more. Sounds simple right?

My plan here is to develop some projects I already have back home by streamlining manufacture and supply, I spent a lot of time and energy trying to do this from behind a PC screen and got frustrated that I could not get the kind of straight talking answers or service I needed.

I will also be buying stock for myself to sell into various markets I trade into across the world - I am fortunate to have visited a lot of great places and made some great contacts along the way.

In addition to this I will also be looking to source products for new contacts and customers as well as offering the products I stock here to markets I am not selling them in.

This is very much a new journey from scratch, After cashing in everything I own from the house to the cars I am committed to this in every sense of the word. Could be a very exciting ride, one that I cannot afford to fall off.

I set up my blog as a base for my story, a place to hopefully inspire people and a way for my friends and family back home to keep in touch with me.

I hope that maybe you too may be interested in it and follow my story.

To all the other upstarts out there waiting for that extra push, Lets take that jump together!

Mac_, wqw, Tastefultraders and 2 others like this.
  2. laowai

laowai

Hey Daniel, Interesting read... i moved to China in 2008 and started in import / export but since moved into doing more local business, import and selling to the Chinese.

China is good for business, but other asian countries offer much better lifestyles in my opinion, Japan and Thailand are great and i have had some success sourcing some unique and quality products there.

Your blog is interesting, I have been to the Shanghai Cycle Expo pretty much every year since 2008 and looked into exporting bikes from China, most of the quality bikes were actually made in taiwan, but then there is also that 48.5% import duty on bicycles from China / Taiwan to EU / UK.
  3. shaununo

shaununo

I already have a Lamborghin, it was just saying to me click me, click me.
  4. Andy777

Andy777

Hey Daniel!

Checking out your blog from time to time, some great stuff there!

Unfortunately you haven't included (I already import from China) option in the poll, so I'll also take Lamborghini :)
    shaununo likes this.
  5. Daniel Cassidy

Great, im the only one without a Lambo!

Laowai, yes the high end bikes are still made in Taiwan and i have been importing bikes from there since about 2005. Unfortunately there pricing went up sharply a few years ago pretty much killing my margins. I also agree with you about the living here, much nicer placer to live in Asia, my mums from Malaysia and i have spent a lot of time there - lovely place. But needs must so here i am.

Thanks
  6. Import Expert

Import Expert

A great read Daniel - Would love to at least visit China one day. Oh and you still haven't asked me to quote for your import shipping.... ;)
  7. tarik

tarik

good to see someone else from Darlington! had a quick browse through your blog and seems an interesting read! Which part of the town did you live in before?
  8. Daniel Cassidy

I lived on Coniscliffe Road, Small world. Had a house in another part of the town but sold that now.

Thanks for checking out the blog.

Take care.
  9. tarik

tarik

Cool, maybe at some point we could do some business. You use msn at all?
  10. Daniel Cassidy

Yes sounds good, my msn is on the contact me page of my site, please feel free to add me.
  11. MSFB

MSFB

ive been reading ur blog for a while now.. was kind of keeping it a secret because i enjoy it so much...
  12. Import Expert

Import Expert

Hi Daniel,

I was showing a friend of mine your blog last night who now works for us but used to be a major buyer in China. He recognised the bike design you were looking at and tells me he used to buy 100,000 bikes from a very good fixed wheel factory that may be of use to you. if of any interest pleased drop me an email over with your best contact details and we can introduce you to them.

[email protected]

Kind regards,
    Darren.
  13. Lee McVee

Lee McVee

Very interesting read - i would be terrified of missing my family if I moved to China - well done to you
  14. Gizmo Wishlist

Gizmo Wishlist

The only thing wrong with buying from China for me is that if the product is wrong or faulty returning it just isn't an option.

I bought something for £90 the other week and it arrived broken, turns out it would cost £70 to send back
  15. Daniel Cassidy

MSFB, Sorry to spoil it for you but you didnt leave me enough blog comments to stifle my urge to share with more people. ha ha.

Darren, I would really appreciate that information and will look to use your services in the future definately.

Lee, yes i would say that is my biggest issue, well that and the food. Skype helps a lot and its nice knowing my friends and family follow my blog so know what im up to.

DJTrades, I understand this is an issue for UK buyers which is why i have a UK warehouse to accept returns and warranty claims though i hope with my quality control this will be minimal.

Well 1.30 am here and im finishing early for the night and going for dinner.

Thanks for the feedback
    Import Expert likes this.
  16. Import Expert

Import Expert

No problem Daniel. Would you mind sending me a PM with your email address as I don't really want to put the Supplier details on open forum.

Kind regards,
    Darren.
  17. Daniel Cassidy

Back in Mainland China now after a little time away looking at new projects and taking some time out to relax.

Here is a quick look at what i have been up to over the last month:

A little lighter on luggage as my laptop and external hard drive were stolen in Thailand so i have unfortunately lost a good few months work.

Things are moving along nicely though and i am getting deeper involved into business here. 5 months now. Seems crazy!

Miss simple home comforts a lot now and the food here is really grinding on me. I would so very much love a Sunday dinner.

I wonder, have any other forum members moved over here? there are very few British people where i live, a lot of Arabic, Americans, Brazilian and Russians wonder why that is?
  18. Import Expert

Import Expert

Hi Daniel,

Good to see you got some time out with your brother. You don't want to burn out as I knwo you have been pretty much working 24/7..

I had a roast yesterday but quite fancy a chinese now ;-) I know what you mean though - I spent a year living in Australia and although its not on a par with China food wise I had a real craving for a real 'British' Sausage. Something I could not find for love nor money.

Keep your chin up and keep us posted. Let me know if you want me to send you over a tin of baked beans or some Haribo ! ;-)

Darren.
  19. madman

madman

What happened to this guy? He just vanished. And his China sourcing business website as well as his factory website are expired domains. Plus he is banned member here. What happened?