1. Speak to our customer support team live today
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Thanks for visiting The Wholesale Forums! Register for FREE today and gain access to more information. Sign up with Facebook, Twitter, or Google.

Implications of selling Chinese Lego like products

Discussion in 'Legal, Insurance & Issues' started by Glenny, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Glenny

Glenny

So obviously the lego logo etc is copyrighted blah blah blah but.......... The building blocks are free to copy due to the patent expiring 20+ years ago.

So my question, I have seen many Chinese lego like products. Implications of selling them over here? Obviously other areas like safety etc but just wondered about it really. More out of curiosity than anything else.
  2. John

John

Lets look at this with another item, the Ipad is copyrighted but companies still sell unbranded tablet pc's :)
  3. Andy777

Andy777

You can def. sell un-branded/your own brand plastic building blocks as long as they meet all the safety regulations.

Lego is not the only company in World doing these nowadays anyway, they're simply most popular.
    Import Expert likes this.
  4. Dean

Dean

COBI is a LEGO alternative and very popular. One reason being that they offer loads of military style kits that LEGO always avoided.
  5. ladyvgw

ladyvgw

A major importer stocks a range of non branded lego but it doesn't sell very well I'm afraid, people still want, and are prepared to pay for the real thing.
  6. Erik

Erik

I believe there are no issues with unbranded building blocks like lego. Only major problem is that most 7 year old kids prefer the real thing with the "lego" name on the box. This might be useful for younger ones, though it would be most recommended to get the XL version of these blocks (to avoid swallowing :D).
  7. TSP

TSP

I have tried many of the Lego alternatives including a free COBI one that a salesman forced me to take to prove that it is as good.

Unfortunately nothing to me or my 9 year old son comes close, both in ease of building and build quality.

Until it does Lego will be the brand leader and they will keep their prices high.*
  8. Dean

Dean

My kids have got loads of COBI. Simply because LEGO don't do army tanks and the like. A local shop here stocks COBI and does well due to the different types of kits that you just can't get with LEGO.
  9. toysandgifts

toysandgifts Banned Member

Click brick!

The Vehicle building range is good, tanks, rocket launchers etc

Brought some for approx £0.49 per vehicle from a wholesaler. The quality and end product was great (I usually test products before I sell).
  10. Lace

Lace Retired Moderator

If only Lego would sell the classic bricks again. My son is using the generic building blocks (made in China) which is okay for toddlers. I find Duplo a bit too expensive. Maybe we'll switch to Lego once he can build more complex structures.
  11. Skuzy

Skuzy

Is there any websites where I could order wholesale building blocks that you'd recommend?
  12. plusmarketing

plusmarketing

13. plusmarketing

plusmarketing