1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

Individual Selling Goods Online, Legalities

Discussion in 'E-Commerce and Online Selling' started by jaguar65, Jan 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MathewLisett

MathewLisett

right this is what i have learn't, and not from ***** business link as they just confuse the hell out of me and liel many more.

im on benefits - yes you can work for 80£ a week or 16 hours but you must tell them

do you need to register a company name if you are a sole trader - no you can work under any name even your own but you must state your name first the your company name afterwards for invoices and any items stating so

you can benefit from voluntary vat registration as companies will expemt you from paying vat on their products which helps you in the long run and also helps you become ready for when you gain the amount for doing vat returns later when you pass 64k

national insurance, straight away, go to your local inland revenue get some forms, fill them in and if sole trading you pay 2.50£per week , which you can pay monthly which in the long run will cause issues if you forget,or direct debit which is more esier way.
  2. buyitonlinehere

buyitonlinehere

Yes, its best to keep them informed and they can also advise you what you need to do when you get near £5000

From
    Doug
  3. Hillyer

Hillyer

Bit of a stupid question, maybe -- but I am confused.

Is VAT now only 15%? I understand that at the time of accent's previous posts, VAT was 17.5% but is it now @ 15% because of the "credit crunch"?

It should remain neutral of course, but calculations would be slightly different.

Thanks in advance, this thread is super!
  4. tvcmall

tvcmall Banned Member

About self-employed , the situation of uk is different from china .
  5. Volatileangel

Volatileangel

I am by no means an expert on anything, but I have discovered a lot about what is required by those selling on-line recently. So, I'd like to add some more to this on the legal side of operating a website.

1. You are required to provide adequate contact information to customers. This should include an Address and a telephone number. If you're using a dropshipper, you might be able to use their address (assuming you already have that agreement in place for returns), otherwise, you can use your own (not really great for security and privacy), a PO box (can look unprofessional) or pay for a remote address that forwards your business mail on to you (prices wildly vary, some at rip-off costs, so a lot of research is needed). For a customer phone number, you can use a service like www.freespeech.co.uk. They offer free voip, with a free 08... number, and a program to recieve calls, with a voicemail function too. This is an entirely free service as far as I am aware, but they offer a lot more at minimal costs. No, I'm not advertising for them, I am genuinely impressed with it, and their help in setting it up, especially considering I paid them nothing.

2. As mentioned, you have to comply with distance selling regs. It's common sense stuff really, and all you need to do is act in the way you would expect a company you buy from to act if you had any problems. Look at your competitor's sites, their T's & C's, agreements etc, then model your own from those (don't copy them though). When I did this I found there were a couple of things that were obvious and yet somehow I'd completely missed them in my first draft.

3. Data control is an issue. Expect to see a raft of new laws and regulations coming in over the next five years as government tries to take control of the net retail sector and squeeze it for licence revenue opportunities! Chances are, we'll all be required to pay fees and taxes just to register in order to be able to read another person's address or surname in a few years.
    Start off on the right foot and make sure you read up on what you are and are not allowed to store as an individual or business. There is a 'wizard' on this subject on the Business Link site, and it is worth doing. It's nothing to worry about, yet, and there's unlikely going to be any chance of you having access or control over such info, but it really is a useful process to go through.

That's all I can think of for now. Hope that helps some.
  6. Kmc

Kmc

I was hoping someone could help me i want to start my own website selling products im only 15 but im in full time education. Can i start up my own "company" do i need to register as self-employed?

sorry for so many questions

Thanks
  7. MathewLisett

MathewLisett

yep nothign stopping you. i do know there are a few things you need to sort out but i hold my hands up saying i dont know everything so ill let the pros help you out further with this
  8. Kmc

Kmc

thanks all so complicated ill make a few calls tomorrow to find out more :)
  9. paulstanden

paulstanden

no it is back to 17.5% i believe with the price possibly rising to 20% vat very soon. (guess that is to claw back what they lost when vat went down to 15%??
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.