1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

Is it Fake section

Discussion in 'Forum Support & Feedback' started by noviseller, Sep 26, 2006.

1. noviseller

noviseller

I am a member in another forum, and they have a section in which people can post photos of products they are considering buying, and more experienced buyers/sellers can view the images and post responses as to whether they are fake/real. I should think something like this would be extremely helpful to some of the people (myself included) new to the wholesale business, as well as those who may be interested in picking up new lines of products, who may not necessarily know what to look for in terms of replica or other non-authentic goods. There are items out there that really look real, but end up being fake too many times, and a section where we could get our peers to take a look beforehand may save each of us ALOT of money, at one point or another.

I know someone wrote a great article on this board about what to look for in fake nano's (awesome article and very helpful), but that doesn't help everyone who might be buying other goods which are known to have a high fake factor.

Any input here would great.

noviseller :)
  2. Saajan

Saajan

Hi,
    This is a great idea but, people can post this kind of stuff in the "Product Disscusion" section.

Hope this helps.
  3. Anthony

Anthony

Interesting idea I have to say.. :rolleyes:

It's just whether we would need a dedicated section on the forum to this sort of thing?

What do other members think of the idea?
  4. dcon

dcon

This could be a good idea, only though is that a lot of scammers use real products in photos and ship fakes, could be a problem.
  5. nocturnal

nocturnal

Yes it is a good idea to have a section on the forum where fakes can be identified although in many instances this can not be done solely through photographs, other information like prices, ongoing supply, other items supplied, status of company etc. are also factors that would need to be taken into consideration.

At the end of the day if it stops buyers being scammed it's useful.
  6. Jojo

Jojo

In general, I think it is a brilliant idea, but I am not sure if a dedicated forum section is the right solution. There will soon be many threads about the same items, and it might grow to be too big. I´m thinking more towards a dedicated database with articels on heavily faked items, how to spot them, and maybe recommended sellers. People can write articles on items they know very well and then submit them.

Just an idea. If any help is needed for something like that, let me know, and I am more than happy to help and contribute.
  7. noviseller

noviseller

I agree that more information than a photograph might be useful in some instances. On the other board, what people see mostly are alot of apparel, jewelry and electronics fakes, with increasing instances of fake mobile phones. So, if someone made a new contact or was thinking about buying from a new supplier, they would post the photos the new seller sent them and the circumstance/purpose of their inquiry, and ask for someone with a more trained eye to take a look. I saw post by someone who was looking into a new supplier for True Religion jeans, and the photos they posted looked SO authentic. To me, everything seemed to add up, but several people posted that they were fake, and then indicated how they could tell. Most often, people post their assessments and then recommend a sample order if there are still questions. because the fakes keep getting better and better. It is, indeed, a very busy board, with the number of posts second only to the Scammer section. So, it is possible the board could get very large, which may drag down bandwidth.

However, as Nocturnal says, if it saves people from getting scammed, it's done its job.
  8. YNWA

YNWA

I think this is an interesting section but would it be over used with everyone putting pictures in of every product and asking for people to decide if its fake etc...

also how does one know if the person judgin the item really knows if it is fake or not? some people would end up guessing and possible say real items are fake and fake items are real

thats my thought anyways
  9. Anthony

Anthony

An idea that I had and one that Jojo I think partially mentioned would be to have sticky threads for the 'popular' faked products, therefore cutting down some of over kill.

I'm looking for a few more people to comment before we make a final decision on implementing something involving this concept.. :)
  10. Club

Club

I say yes. Make i an internal sub-forum to Product Discussion.

It is one of the best ideas I have read.
  11. Beneddie1112

Beneddie1112

i think its a good idea but yu would definitely have to have more information than jjuust a photograph.
  12. Club

Club

Well, that would be sort of self-implied by the section.