1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

Is it just me or.....

Discussion in 'Forum Support & Feedback' started by mdsltd, Nov 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdsltd

mdsltd

... does their appear to me a ever growing number of new TWF sellers offering high end branded products with no VAT applicable/price you see is the price you pay deals? Now I am all for healthy competition BUT when you are competing with people not paying VAT/avoiding paying VAT it isnt a level playing field! Surely offering these high end products it would only be a matter of time before UK VAT registration is compulsory - Hmm maybe not in some cases! For example this thread:

http://www.thewholesaleforums.co.uk...zon-kindles-and-apple-stock-great-prices.html

The words NO VAT are clearly displayed yet the seller claims to import from the US, now as far as I am aware whenever importing from outside of the EU without a VAT number, UK VAT & or duty would be applicable!? Surely a case of avoidance?

Your thoughts are appreciated ;)
  2. PG

PG

Yep there have been lots recently

A few others selling bulk PS3's, Wii's etc - All with "NO VAT"
  3. PG

PG

4. mdsltd

mdsltd

Indeed. It also strikes me that 75% of the time there is no company associated with the sale, appearing to simply be a "back bedroom" seller! I know I wouldnt risk any of my hard earned money with anyone offering high end branded goods who isnt registered in one form or another! Regardless of this the VAT avoidance part is what really annoys me, we have to abide by rules yet others dont :@
  5. shopafrolix

shopafrolix Banned Member

so how have these sellers become 'Advertisers' on this forum - I thought they were checked out in some way or form ?
  6. PG

PG

LOL - the checking process is not exactly flawless.

You do not need a VAT number or even a Company number to register here.

You just need to state what you sell basically....
  7. Gary

Gary

According to them in that thread they clear the VAT in the uk then forward to the buyer, still got to be turning over enough to more than cover the threshold though therefore would need to be charging VAT I would have thought, definitely looks suspicious.

It's like another certain US based used iPhone and iPad seller, under liabilities at no time do they mention their buyers will be liable for VAT, making the greener members think their prices are unbelievable, when after doing the math the same is available retail from the uk at about the same price or maybe even a bit less.

I too find this misleading, granted, the buyer should know that they need to pay VAT on import, however, many don't who are new to the business and blinded by prices they simply cannot achieve, hell, even the majority of china suppliers websites say that the buyer will be liable for import fees somewhere, yet these people can take advantage of the less knowledgeable amongst us by hiding it as even saying they will be responsible would then prompt them to look into it (or at least should).

I suggest that ALL sellers either based or importing from outside the EU should mandatorily mention this fact so as to not further mislead the more naive, open pricing and honest sellers would make this a far more level playing field for the true UK sellers.
  8. Twisty

Twisty

Unfortunately, the minimal checks done by TWF brings down the credibility of genuine advertisers that sell on here. Thats just my opinion.
  9. super_touring

super_touring

Not sure anyone has one of those:D
  10. PG

PG

LOL - how how did did i i manage manage that that ? ?
  11. Meeko

Meeko

I agree. I've already found someone selling fake clothes on here and reported it to the admin but the thread is still open and people are still buying under false pretenses that they are legit :(.

I don't think it says anywhere in the F & Q that you can't sell fake or replica products though :(.

A year or 2 ago I'm sure the ship here was a lot tighter! Now there are lots of foreign advertisers and questionable "branded" products for sale.

Don't get me wrong I love these forums and they are a great source of info but its like you need to be quite wary about buying from people here now. Obviously the long standing members who have loads of posts and feedback can be trusted but all these new adveritzers with 10 - 20 posts selling branded stuff I would approach with caution.
  12. mdsltd

mdsltd

Some very valid points guy & gals. Maybe TWF should get their act together & actually ensure thorough due diligence before accepting a potential advertisers money - or is it just that all about taking money? Surely VAT avoidance is not something a reputable site nor any reputable business would like to be associated with!?
  13. Meeko

Meeko

I think one of the main reasons I enjoyed this forum is that it seemed quite tight and secure.... like not loads of spam and shady people about but lately it seems to have gotten pretty bad.... Just look at some of the branded selling threads for instance and theres no end of people with 1 - 10 posts claiming to have brought the products saying "thanks" and add me to the list ect.... Its like the advertiser has asked his friends and family to post that in the hopes of roping people in.... at least thats how I perceive it and I could be completely wrong but it never used to be that bad like a year ago.
  14. ResellerLad

ResellerLad

The case that worries me the most is the pfcjase one. Firstly he gets banned for selling fake earphones, yet twf allow him back onto the forums as an advertiser, this time selling ralph lauren polos. First thing that comes to my mind is 'are they fake too?!' Anyway.. turns out he's let lots of people down and not provided them with the goods they paid for. This was only a metter of time... once you're banned, you should be banned for good.
  15. mdsltd

mdsltd

I couldnt agree more, it appears unfortunately TWF (& some of its members) arent as transparent as it one was - Shame really! :eek:
  16. Tastefultraders

Tastefultraders Banned Member

Extremely true however the majority of these so called companies are only here to make a quick bit of money, most are not interested in pro-longing their business and building it into something they can sustain otherwise most would have noticed that becoming VAT registered is inevitable with the market they are trading in. Unfortnately i doubt there is anything that TWF will do on the matter, not all legit companies are VAT Registered however i certainly think procedures around VAT should be set in place for members looking to sell high end goods.
  17. Meeko

Meeko

Amen to that. If your blatently selling fakes to people under the pretenses of authentic products then no doubt about it, it should be a bannable offence.

18. Kingamer

Kingamer

the thing is with non uk/eu sells they just lower the price and the vat becomes lower but you I honest seller like me have sorted out the problems with my seller and now I pay th correct amount so just saying its not just the suppliers that are making more its also the buys who pay less and can offer cheap end prices
  19. uhafmail

uhafmail

How could TWF police someone avoiding VAT? It is impossible to stop. eBay don't do it even when they can see from their own records that their sellers breach the threshold for VAT registration.

There is also the flat fee scheme which would increase the threshold to £150k.

Also just because someone lists a deal for sale does not mean the sale goes through so when someone posts brokered deals they could have millions of pounds worth of deals available and advertised but if they don't sell them they dont have to be registered.
  20. uhafmail

uhafmail

As soon as he got back he messaged me asking whether i wanted to buy the headphones i had inquired about, the message was reported and nothing done about it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.