1. Speak to our customer support team live today
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Thanks for visiting The Wholesale Forums! Register for FREE today and gain access to more information. Sign up with Facebook, Twitter, or Google.

Is It Still Possible To Make A Living On eBay?

Discussion in 'eBay, Amazon & Online Marketplaces' started by JustCraig, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Effy Salhov

Effy Salhov

I think to attract the buyers you will have to lose some money( what I would like to call advertising costs) so basically instead of placing an advertise on a magazine to promote your shop you doing it by starting a 0.99 auctions on your brand, if its a well known one and people are buying it so it will get to the approximate asking price, but the effect from that is that you will get sales ,what I like to do is to start a 0.99 sale on auction and at the same time run another one with buy it now with the price I want, the auction you run for 10 days and inside the auction page you can write: Dont want to wait till auction ends? Click here to buy it now( place a link to your buy it now sale)

usually works :)

Good luck
    Fazeel_lily likes this.
  2. Fazeel_lily

Fazeel_lily

Thanks, Still kind of looking for a type of market to get into, Everything I think of is already there when I type it in :/.
  3. Fellwalker

Fellwalker

EBay (or rather, eBay's computer) will always suggest a price that sells easily, but their ONLY interest is their commission on your sale. They do not care if you gain or lose. I've had suggestions on prices that were far below what other similar items had sold for. If your price was right, relist at that price. Don't go below "to please eBay's computer and it's invented price". Only reduce to liquidate stock that is obsolete or going out of fashion, to generate some cash for reinvestment or cutting your losses!
  4. yellowlawn

yellowlawn

Anyone tried Amazon Marketplace instead or Play Trade? Seems there fees are even more extortionate.
  5. dbdbdbdb

dbdbdbdb

My friend finds that he makes a lot of money by selling limited edition trainers on eBay.
  6. vincent246

vincent246

I can make sure the answer is no, specially with the new ebay business return policy, the new ebay business return policy is killing our business quickly.
  7. bananaViking

bananaViking

Hi to all.
    Been reading for months but finally joined.

Anyway, I am an eBay trader and I have had my share of scammers and it really threw me and made me wonder if it was worthwhile. I had one person try to scam me over a GPS I sold. Claimed they had phoned TomTom and how it was locked to my email account. Despite the fact it was brand new. Of course this person could not provide any evidence at all and after a month of this they gave up.

I later sold a Macbook for spare parts / refurb. The person claimed it did not work ( though it was in parts and sold as not working ) he then had my paypal frozen for 6 weeks and demanded £60 towards repair parts. Even paypal seen this person was crazy. Anyway it was settled for £27. I was raging but what can you do. He did not want to return the product and he did try to be all technological to me. I stated to him that I am an actual computer scientist and software engineer and he never said a word after that.

One other person tried to claim his PC would not play a PC game I sold. Sometimes you never know if they are chancers or just plain dumb.

Not had any problems lately but you sure do get them. I am always waiting for the next one to pop up.

Prices now days are dirt cheap for my section of the trade. The Chinese direct sellers have really helped destroy small UK traders. I simply can't compete with these huge power sellers. I am now looking at trading on Amazon too. For me though, this is a part time extra income. I have no idea what lays in the future for eBay. They always side with the scammers and not the sellers.
  8. belvedere312

belvedere312

I've been making a living off eBay for 5 years now, it is quite possible. All you have to do is find a steady supplier of hi demands goods.As in many other businesses it is a long road to get there but as long as you keep trying chances are that you will succeed. There are many eBayers making a living there. None of them will tell you how they do it, exactly.
    Ralu likes this.
  9. AileenSparkles

AileenSparkles

I have read through some of these posts and picked up some great tips, thank you all for that. I have a website and have been doing some ebay selling through my personal account. This post has helped to fuel my enthusiasm and I have great future plans. The main ones being -
    1. Try to find a niche market.
    2. Source the products, direct from manufacturers if possible.
    3. Don't necessarily be the cheapest but certainly keep prices competitive.
    4. The more time invested in ebay, the greater the chance of success.
    5. Put your own website details in the photos to divert some traffic to your website.
    6. Auction off some items (possibly at a loss) to generate more website hits.
    7. Include your business leaflets when posting.
    8. Keep all email addresses and add to your database - send out blogs, newsletters and other marketing materials on a regular basis.
    I'm sure I'm missing a few but hopefully these points will help me and my income!

Now to find niche/popular products and source suppliers... I love research!
    Erik likes this.
  10. MotoGotin

MotoGotin

I don't think so, especially with the high fees, the competition and lack of seller protection policy! At least I am happy that I found a website (eBuyersReviewed) where I can report all the scam buyers I deal with! I am so tiered of them!
  11. BlackMajicX

BlackMajicX

I think this thread should be, can you making a living through eCommerce (which includes eBay)? The answer to that would be yes, yes you can make millions.
  12. sskimins

sskimins

Thank you very much for your advice! :). I didn't use anything they offer. At moment, I'm eBay top reated seller, and I found a niche, but I do look for profitable niche within the niche. :)
  13. Luke Svarc

Luke Svarc

Hi guys,

My first post here. I was an eBay seller at the back end of 2013, I worked in a niche and found I went from selling 5 items a day to 50 items a day within a few weeks. I ran the business for around 6 months and within that time I began turning over around 16k a month with a 38% net profit margin. Unfortunately due to personal reasons I had to stop the business but my answer is yes you can make a living from it.

A friend of mine does now and does pretty well even working on it part time. I think the main thing is time invested, it's a numbers game and until you put full time hours in you just can't get the numbers up. I'm fortunate to be in a position now where I can go back into the business as I really love the buzz of just buying and selling, I'm joining up with my friend and we hope to make a decent living in the new few years from eBay/Amazon and setting up our own site.
  14. Tango34uk

Tango34uk

While not making a full time living on eBay (more down to me then anything else) im making daily sales, the reason I have made this post, is that for all you "new" eBay traders out there remember to try other things on eBay now and again, my main business in military clothing and equipment, but this month I have made more sales of MP3 players then anything else (and I have never tried these before!) - I got a small amount of stock in from the Far East, wrote a nice advert, and have been making lots of sales of them.

So just becuase you sell "X" does not mean you shouldnt try "Y" now and again to see if you could also sell them!
    jamhun likes this.
  15. smarines

smarines

It's definitely harder now, and the returns process is a joke. eBay will screw you and will tell you gladly whilst they do it. I think eBay will crumble and become a thing of the past. Financially I've heard they're not doing well, and I'm not surprised at all. It's hardly worth being TRS any more, used to get 25% discount!

Whilst a fair chunk of my income still comes from eBay I will throw a party one day if they go pop - for all the poor sods they've ripped off over the years.
  16. Dean

Dean

It will be interesting to see what happens once Paypal finally splits off leaving eBay on its own. Paypal has always been the most profitable part of the business so I wonder how long eBay can stand on its own two feet without Paypal propping it up?!
    smarines likes this.
  17. psxgamer

psxgamer

Exactly my thoughts. I think in 2-3 years the Ebay part will be sold to another big player. My hunch sais Google. Online I've read a few topics suggesting Alibaba may be interested. I think Google already has too much power, but if I have to choose I prefer Google. Time will tell I guess...
  18. billyd

billyd

Ive sold on ebay for years and its gone from a good source of income to a joke. Half the sellers on there now are trying to just get a market share as opposed to a profit it seems.....

As an example, look at this for instance: ******************************************************************************************************************

How are they even posting it for under 99p?!

Yeah you could argue they are trying to get to the top of ebay, but by that point someone else has come along and selling them cheaper to get to the top of the listing!
  19. mrhmartin

mrhmartin

I've been subscribed to this thread since it started in 2009. I was making a living on eBay then and still am making a living on eBay. Unfortunately due to their new seller rating defect and returns system I am "below standard" and may get booted soon. I'm running my business just as I had since the beginning but all of a sudden my business isn't good enough for eBay standards. I sell used and refurbished electronics and it used to be my customers would contact me if there was an issue and I would take care of them. Now all they do is just start a return with no commication.
  20. Fishpalace

Fishpalace

Agree.

I usually sell sinks, taps, radiators etc but spent £10k on electronics and selling well at 6 to 12 items per day and just over 60% listed so pleased. This is not my full time job either and and I am set up as a Limited company so pay my dues.

Paul