1. Speak to our customer support team live today
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Thanks for visiting The Wholesale Forums! Register for FREE today and gain access to more information. Sign up with Facebook, Twitter, or Google.

Is It Still Possible To Make A Living On eBay?

Discussion in 'eBay, Amazon & Online Marketplaces' started by JustCraig, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Dave Casuals

Dave Casuals

surely it can't be that easy to get the boot just because a return is opened and over the course of the month you have multiple returns? I used to sell clothing but don't anymore as have 2 ebay shops and the clothing has been dead wood so recently closed this but fortunutately never had issues with returns. However i worked part time for an online ebay company some years back and their main business was shoes...there were returns opened every day. Shoes is one of the main markets for items being returned and they might have had anything from 2-10 returns everyday and averaged 300 feedback a month so maybe 900 sales overall on a monthly basis. They aren't running the shoe business anymore but that wasn't due to ebay, however if this was the case half these smaller independant clothing and shoe outlets wouldn't exist on ebay if it was purely down to returns that affected your overall rating? Maybe i'm wrong on this one...
  2. Parcelhub.co.uk

Parcelhub.co.uk

Around 90% of our clients sell via multiple channels. It doesn't make any sense relying on one channel, especially one as frustrating as eBay.
    smarines likes this.
  3. Tango34uk

Tango34uk

I think a lot depends what people count as a "living" - I work full time, and run a online business part time, my online business is split between three platforms - eBay, Facebook and a Website - they all generate profit, but where as 5 years ago when eBay was my biggest platform, I now find Facebook is, but with the changes to knock some of the Far East sellers into touch then maybe things will improve again on eBay (then again maybe not!) - I would love to work for myself full time, but at the moment need to work for someone else to cover the day to day expensive that one has.
  4. ebafy

ebafy

Agreed, and although I do not directly sell on eBay myself, the crackdown on overseas sellers can only be a good thing for genuine UK sellers.

Best,
    James
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  5. Icclebits

Icclebits

These Chinese sellers definitely need to go. My sales are a 3rd of what they normally are!

On the upside it has pushed me to try a new line of products I have always wanted to sell, And the Chinese have nothing to do with them so much less competition :)
    kryskros likes this.
  6. Tango34uk

Tango34uk

Currently sales on eBay (for myself) are massively improving - no im not going to tell you what Im selling (some people on here will know anyway!) but I have moved away from Military goods (the Far East sellers were all over it) and im now selling a list of items that China and the Far East dont sell - yes others are selling the same things, but im getting very quickly to a point where I coulkd see myself doing this full time as my main job, rather then parttime as a 2nd income. Dont give up on eBay, find a better supplier (you know who you are!) and keep going, but still look at other platforms - I have a webname and will at some point build a website to go with it. I have a Facebook page - growing slowly and word of mouth is great, but for general easy sales - eBay is still the route to take.
    Vidarsbazaar likes this.
  7. GunjanB

GunjanB

It is very much possible to still make a living on eBay. Strategic planning, taking extra measures to prevent scamming, use all the tips provided by online experienced sellers would do a lot in expanding your business. It also helps if you start selling on multiple channels including your own webstore as an extra source of income. If anything, try this eBook with some tips on how to sell smarter on eBay.
  8. Icclebits

Icclebits

Really :p
  9. Joshbrown94

Joshbrown94

I think it's really difficult for any new sellers to start on eBay because of the power seller and top rated seller system. If you're selling a popular product even at half the price of the "big boys" your listing is never anywhere near the top page, and let's be honest, how many people look past the first page when they've found what they want?

The big players in the game can make a fortune because of their status while little sellers will struggle massively.
  10. Vidarsbazaar

Vidarsbazaar

I'm pretty envious mate, I've had a set back and am now having to try and build bank with more used goods....
  11. 55013

Just joined this site today and have enjoyed reading this thread started 2011, even back then it was very hard to find wholesalers to buy from that hardly anyone else had tapped into and sell their goods on ebay/amazon etc and make a good profit. Now in 2017/8 you have no chance. I always found the thought of drop-shipping scary, far too many problems you will eventually run into and it sounds too easy and we all know what that means. Even having your own small website to help with sales in my opinion is of little use, if you cannot sell something on ebay you have no chance on selling it on your own site and ebay rules now do not allow any links whatsoever from your description to your personal site.

My tip to start with is local auction houses, there are plenty of them around in all areas in the UK, you can buy some decent lots and resell on ebay for a good profit as long as you are willing to do your homework. In fact these days it does not have to be local auctions, nearly all decent auctions all around the country/world you can view and bid live online. You will not be able to make a full time living doing it straight away but you will make money and that will grow if you are sensible and put the reasonably small hours in.

If you have never tried it give it a go, start off small and if the worst comes to the worst and you cannot sell what you have bought for a profit you can always put it back in the same auction at the next sale. You may have to take the occasional small loss for your mistakes but it is much better start than dreaming of buying a container load of mobile phone accessories from China and making lots of £££ as that ain't gonna happen.

Jed likes this.