1. Speak to our customer support team live today
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Thanks for visiting The Wholesale Forums! Register for FREE today and gain access to more information. Sign up with Facebook, Twitter, or Google.

Is selling Windows 10 , 8 , 7 , Vista XP install discs on a DVD-R legal ? not a cracked version

Discussion in 'eBay, Amazon & Online Marketplaces' started by justwondering, Nov 20, 2017.

1. justwondering

justwondering

I was wondering , as I have noticed lots of sellers on eBay offering install discs (with no serial number) , they clearly state that the data is supplied on a DVD-R (record-able Disc) definitely not a official disc , but they do state you would need a serial number to fully install .

They are clearly not attempting to sell a cracked version of Windows , just a install disc supplied and copied by them.

They seem to sell the disc around £2.99 delivered in the U.K , eBay.co.uk search appears to be littered with them.

I know you can download Windows 10 install for free direct from Microsoft without entering a serial number to begin the download , but I do know if you try to download Windows 7 for example a Serial number is checked.

I guess many people do need a install disc , as they might of had a pre-installed version to begin with or simply want a disc for the future in-case things go wrong with the current install and require a full install .

I have tried to look for a specific answer online , but I do not appear to be able to see one.

Does anyone know Microsofts policy on selling these types of install discs ?
  2. Jed

Jed

It's classed as counterfeit, you're allowed to burn the ISO onto a disc for personal only use but not for re-sale.
  3. justwondering

justwondering

Hi Jed , Thank you for your reply , eBay is totally littered with those kinds of discs , often with sellers with GTC (good till completed) listings showing sales of over 500 pcs and more over a long period of time .

Why does eBay or Microsoft not stop this ? it seems so blatant .
  4. Jed

Jed

Microsoft have listings removed constantly however there is also a constant flow of new people selling them so it is a never ending battle. Most are taken down within 6 months to a year but eventually it catches up with them, I've seen some massive sellers come and go on there.

eBay don't care as it's fee's for them, they only remove when asked to and have no interest in preventing it in the first place.