Is this legal to sell?

Discussion in 'Start-ups & Business Advice' started by Dave Casuals, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Dave Casuals

Dave Casuals

Just a curious question...

there is a natural home remedy for the skin thats been doing the rounds for hundreds of years and just involves 1 specific vegetable whereby the juice is supposed to be drained and massaged onto the skin. Because the vegetable is a bit of a pain to cut/squeeze & drain most people can never be bothered to continue using it/ or even bother starting in the first place. The same applied for me when I wanted to use this remedy long term. I gave up after a short while as I just couldn't be hassled going through the whole process. When looking for anything similar bottled online there is only 1 seller in America but it's not even the right variation of the vegetable.

This wouldn't be sold to be ingested/eaten, it's simply to massage onto skin so I wondered if it was legal to sell something that is simply drained and bottled with obvious details of vegetable on the label. There are no added ingredients/addidtives used. My concerns were things like if you had to put an expiry date on etc?

What are peoples thoughts?
  2. Import Expert

Import Expert

I'd probably start by checking with someone like trading standards. This issue might not be the product itself, but how it is marketed - i.e. you could probably not say that it helps this/that without the full monotonous lab testing, etc.
    I'm no expert in that area but just my thoughts :)
  3. SaleHoo

SaleHoo

Hi Dave,

I agree with Import Expert that it all boils down to how you market the product. Make sure to avoid claims as this may cause problems later on.

An important aspect at developing a product is to test your process and (proper) storage for consistent quality, reliability, and durability. You can then figure out the expiry by doing this. If you intend to target bigger markets, an FDA approval may be needed to evaluate safety and effectiveness.

Hope some help.
  4. Dave Casuals

Dave Casuals

thank you both for your replies. I have done further research and will be making contact with the MHRA but it does appear if the item is not for consumption and does not contain additives and simply derives from a pure vegetable or fruit then you are exempt from certain regulations but do still need to include certain criteria on a label etc.
  5. jordanmcclure

jordanmcclure

Yes David, there is no issues in selling this product. You should labeled expiry date on your product. If you need any merchant account for your business you may contact paycron.