1. Speak to our customer support team live today
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Thanks for visiting The Wholesale Forums! Register for FREE today and gain access to more information. Sign up with Facebook, Twitter, or Google.

Is This Offer Too Good To Be True?

Discussion in 'General Wholesale' started by Sermbezis, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Sermbezis

Sermbezis

Hi,

Brand new to all this so if I ask some stupid questions, sorry aha :)
    I found this supplier on Alibaba and the prices just seem to good to be true.
    They are offering an iPhone 7 128gb for $250, this minimum order is 2 and they give you an extra 1 for free.
    I've done some research and they seem to not be a scam, they have 9 years of gold, offer trade assurance and their company website has been registered for a long time.

Do you think this is a scam?
    Supplier link: ************************************************************************************
    saahaodotcom likes this.
  2. Dean

Dean

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    saahaodotcom and Import Expert like this.
  3. Sermbezis

Sermbezis

Have you dealt with them before? Why would they offer trade assurance of they were a scam?
    saahaodotcom likes this.
  4. Dean

Dean

You can't buy new genuine iPhone 7s for that price! Even top tier Apple distributors can't buy them that cheap.

Think about it, why would anyone sell them that cheap when they're worth multiples more?!

The trade assurance only appears to cover you if you pay in to a registered bank account. I bet you that they wouldn't accept payment in to the bank account - they would ask for Western Union or similar. And you would either receive nothing or fakes with zero chance of getting your money back.

Do LOTS more research before you commit to anything. Don't be another victim.
    saahaodotcom, sukkilee and Sermbezis like this.
  5. Cody

Cody

@Sermbezis

Hopefully @Alibaba can comment on this too, however as Dean said, do a lot of research first.

You should be asking how the supplier wants you to pay. If it is into a registered account then the Trade Assurance will protect you (you should get the products first, clarify everything is okay, then Alibaba transfers the money to the supplier, otherwise the money goes back to you).

If they request you to pay via Western Union then just walk away because you won't have any protection.
    saahaodotcom likes this.
  6. Sermbezis

Sermbezis

Well would you look at that, the company has now removed the iPhone from their listings. @Alibaba how can a company with 9 years gold get away with this sort of crap?
    saahaodotcom likes this.
  7. Cody

Cody

You must understand, like any marketplace, it can be hard to monitor every single persons products, especially with how big Alibaba marketplace is.

For example millions of people advertise on there, however to go through each person every day to ensure the products are legit would be impossible. Although, more does need to be done (on any marketplace, Amazon, eBay etc) to ensure that no one is slipping the radar with false descriptions, products and prices.

Maybe the advertiser should lose some of their years of gold, or at least incur a penalty as advertisers would do here.
    saahaodotcom likes this.
  8. chunky1

chunky1

I was caught couple of times on Alibaba with scam, it is always a little bit of lie there.
    saahaodotcom likes this.
  9. JDub

JDub

Its a SCAM !! Do not fall for it.
    saahaodotcom likes this.
  10. tighergod

tighergod

I totally agree with you, I have fallen into a trap with Alibaba years ago where i bought a bulk of product showing black colour on the pictures, but it arrived as dark grey. I was hitting my head at that moment when i received it.
    saahaodotcom likes this.
  11. Alistair Westwood

Alistair Westwood

Track record of Alibaba is not good ,they often displays one product & when we receive its far different than which we chose on website.
    saahaodotcom likes this.
  12. Globetraveler

Globetraveler

SCAM for sure, genuine iphones in China are actually more expensive to buy than they are on our side of the world. They might end up sending you a really great copy on an iphone but it wont be the genuine article. Avoid branded products from China.
    saahaodotcom and chunky1 like this.
  13. chunky1

chunky1

I think somebody should turn down their website just for scamming and for cheating people
    saahaodotcom likes this.
  14. Erik

Erik

It's not quite that easy.

From what we have seen, China's economy really strives in manufacturing, and being a country with laws favouring their own rather than big corporations, it's more than likely that such companies are protected.

It would take an insurmountable amount of money even for one huge corporation to take down scams, much more fake goods, especially if the government will not cooperate in such act - provided that the government will lose economical strength if they try to close down all scam and fake product providers in the country.

It's a delicate balance for the country of course, and while some of the companies do illegal acts, a country which gets good earnings from those companies will have doubts to follow what the world wants. So, regardless if huge groups try to spend billions, just to remove such companies via a lawsuit or whatever, it will always be not an easy feat.
    saahaodotcom likes this.