1. Speak to our customer support team live today
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Thanks for visiting The Wholesale Forums! Register for FREE today and gain access to more information. Sign up with Facebook, Twitter, or Google.

News John Lewis Faces Backlash On Gender Neutral Clothing

Discussion in 'Retail' started by Cody, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Cody

Cody

John Lewis announced on the weekend they would no longer be using "boys and girls" label on their clothing. Whilst many customers were praising the gender neutral move, others took to a more defensive stance.

Just over 18 months ago John Lewis redesigned their labels to read "boys and girls" and "girls and boys", however removing gendered labels all together were being identified as a "worrying sign of the times" to many taking to social media to show their anger.

Screen Shot 2017-09-05 at 10.48.21.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-05 at 10.42.33.png

One user suggested that soon "our soldiers will be fighting with handbags" and John Lewis should be boycotted "for turning boys into girls."

Piers Morgan said on Good Morning Britain: "Can we call it John Lewis anymore or does it have to be Joan Lewis?"

Despite the action to remove all gender neutral signage from their boys and girls clothes in their stores, John Lewis said they will be reviewing how their childrenswear is sold online, as sections on the site still specify girls clothes from boys.

It still seems that many people are sticking by the 'boys should be boys and girls should be girls' ideology.

John Lewis’s head of childrenswear, Caroline Bettis said in a statement: “John Lewis collections are created and designed with children in mind by our in-house design team. As such, we introduced new non-gender specific John Lewis stitched labels and combined ‘Girls & Boys’ swing tags to clothing for John Lewis own label collections in 2016. In line with this change, our policy is to no longer specify areas or use signage which say ‘Girls’ or ‘Boys’ in our shops."

“We do not want to reinforce gender stereotypes within our John Lewis collections and instead want to provide greater choice and variety to our customers, so that the parent or child can choose what they would like to wear.”

What do you think about this?

Is gender neutral clothing something we should be accepting into society, and is gender just a social concept we have created? Should boys dress as boys and girl dress as girls?
  2. lpbusiness

lpbusiness

I think it's a very difficult question to delve into and I see both sides of the argument. I would probably encourage kids to wear what they feel like wearing, but i'm not sure making gender neutral clothing is necessary. Is it even a viable market? I also agree that this could potentially get confusing.

However, I also think that if John Lewis aren't removing other items of clothing in favour of this, then what's the fuss? No one is forcing you to buy these items of clothing for your children. If you don't like it, or your children don't, simply don't buy it! Who cares!?
    Cody likes this.