1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

Less members selling on forum?

Discussion in 'Forum Support & Feedback' started by madman, Jun 4, 2013.

1. madman

madman

I do not see as many members posting sale threads compared to 2 years ago.
    Are they listing only on stockshifters or what is the deal? it looks like only 3 or so stockshifter staff members are posting sales threads.
    What is the deal, I probably missed something :)
  2. eAuction

eAuction

All stock is now posted on stockshifters unless it's a single unit or the seller is not from the UK.
  3. Gary

Gary

As above, all UK stock sellers now post via stockshifters (with the exception of single units), which are then filtered back to the marketplace under the one account name 'TWF Advertiser', any other stockshifters account names are staff picks or featured items from the stockshifters website.

Hope this helps clear it up for you.

Gary
  4. Digitalfever

Digitalfever

As above, it sucks !
    Volantary and madman like this.
  5. eAuction

eAuction

Hasn't everyone got bored with bashing StockShifters yet? I'm certainly bored of hearing about it.
  6. Pete

Pete

Unfortunately, not just the sellers have disappeared, so have the buyers.

eAuction, it may not affect your income, but it has certainly affected my sales. I don't whine about it, but it is a fact. Easy for someone with no cards in the game to have a ho-hum attitude, not quite so easy for someone with a SIGNIFICANT drop in sales.

If you're so bored, move on. We need buyers not bitchers.
    deano10969 likes this.
  7. madman

madman

I am interested if sales dropped for UK sellers as well.
    Pete, it may be that all the buyers are lurking at stockshifters now and not all of them come to the forum so thats why your sales, as international seller, dropped. UK sellers sell there so it would be interesting to compare their sales volume with pre stockshifters volume.
  8. eAuction

eAuction

I think this more so highlights a problem with your business model that you rely too heavily on one source of traffic.
  9. Pete

Pete

If I had 40 sources, it would still make a difference. And I have no doubt that others are suffering as well. I can still sell from China and I have more people asking for me to source and broker for them nearly daily, and I'm not expecting the repo man any time soon, but it's Happy Meals instead of Big Macs.
  10. eAuction

eAuction

Sure if you have 40 sources it would still be a drop, but you said a significant drop. Websites come and go (and change) all the time so getting many sources of traffic is vital.
  11. Pete

Pete

whatever
  12. shopafrolix

shopafrolix Banned Member

not sold anything on here or Stockshifters for a long time, not bought anything on here or Stockshifters for an even longer time - can't buy anything here if there are no marketplace offers and stock on SS has just got too expensive, as sellers having to increase prices due to SS fees and VAT being added

this was predicted quite a while back - it's now starting to happen - it'll get worse before it gets better

The one product I do sell here, barcodes, only sell to 15% - 20% of my total customers, as very rare do I get members buying and using the TWF discount code to save £5
  13. madman

madman

You do not get his point, his point is that sellers on this forum are selling less than before, meaning that this change was not a benefit to forum seller community.
    deano10969 likes this.
  14. madman

madman

Are you saying that sellers pays additional fees on top of that 10% charged by SS (buyers are charged)?

And I agree, me as a buyer, was more eager to buy from members on the forum and I am reluctant to buy from SS (various reasons like more expensive due to fees, can not know who is the seller and his reputation and so on).
  15. shopafrolix

shopafrolix Banned Member

no, I meant that prices are artificially increased due to SS fees and VAT - even the £25 + VAT (£30) fee is a lot on small job lots. But a 20% VAT charge kills sellers who are not VAT registered. We used to have small time ebay/amazon sellers who were forum advertisers who used this forum to sell end of line stock etc. and they are not VAT registered. Other wholesale auction sites don't operate like this
  16. uniqbuy

uniqbuy

It is now more expensive for sellers in registration fees using Stockshifters and more expensive for buyers as they are charged 10% admin fee. As a lot of people are buying online to sell online and margins are razor thin on many online items, I think the extra Stockshifters costs have had an impact at least for me.
  17. Volantary

Volantary

They don't, I'm not sure what Richard was getting at. But they do force you to charge VAT, if you're a non-VAT registered seller you're stuck. I went through the process last month and ended up losing 20% of the closing price. They implemented an option for those on various "schemes" but still not one for not VAT registered sellers. To be honest I'm not sure they can, they have a backwards system where the customer essentially pays SS for the items, then the seller has to invoice SS for the money. Because SS are VAT registered they have to charge the VAT, but me as a non-VAT registered seller cannot invoice SS for that VAT. So the customer pays 20% more which sits in the SS account gathering interest before it's sent onto HMRC. And of course there is the buyer's fee which they charge because they're providing the "service".

I've said it before many times, it's a damn shame because TWF was a perfect platform for small-medium business sellers and it's sadly been ruined.

@eAuction, at the end of the day some people relied on TWF for income, when they messed with it the income was lost. We're not bashing SS for the lolz.
    madman likes this.
  18. Gary

Gary

They changed the £25 fee on smaller lots to a percentage system a short while back (cannot remember exactly when):
    • 10% up to £250
    • 7.5% from £251 to £999
    • 5% from £1k+
    Though I agree about the VAT (as many have seen me mentioning several times in the past), but like Alex said, they probably cannot do it any other way due to their system, as essentially, SS started with vendors needing a VAT number, so in essense this wouldn't have been a problem.
  19. ebafy

ebafy

Not one to normally get involved in these types of revokes however coming from the 'service marketplace', it too has had a dramatic incline. This has without a doubt effected us all. With less sellers (and buyers) using the forum, the less 'business services' are viewed/wanted. This is uncertain times for a lot of us loyal and paying advertisers who once saw TWF as a good solid business channel. It's a real shame that will ultimately see the death of the 'genuine' and 'honest' contributors. TWF use to be buzzing, day and night but right now, it just does not feel right!
    deano10969 likes this.
  20. eAuction

eAuction

I'm not doubting that, but you shouldn't put all your eggs in one basket.