1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

Less members selling on forum?

Discussion in 'Forum Support & Feedback' started by madman, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Nick-D

Nick-D

I have my business across many platforms but you will still find my complaining when one slows, lost sales are lost sales, money out of my wallet!
    Jed, Dave, Volantary and 3 others like this.
  2. Pete

Pete

How true, all of the coulda, woulda, shoulda doesn't change the end results.
  3. shopafrolix

shopafrolix Banned Member

......... and now we are expected to pay nearly three times as much !

fortunately my renewal went through at the old rate, otherwise my green banner would have gone by now
  4. eAuction

eAuction

Of course but that's not really my point - my point is by losing one sales platform you shouldn't lost a large percentage of your business. It's like people that solely have an eBay business and get banned, they're up a creek without a paddle.
  5. Pete

Pete

Your point was this - Hasn't everyone got bored with bashing StockShifters yet? I'm certainly bored of hearing about it"

Easy to say if you have no stakes in the game. The fact is quite a few people here and recently departed (but hopefully still breathing) have seen big drops in activity that they paid for.

In my case, I dropship and wholesale, I do not compete with my own wholesale and dropship customers, so I am limited to DECENT places to reach my target audience. I am paying for quality of buyers, just as they pay for verification of sellers.

I think everyone understands your point, they just don't have as many alternatives as you seem to think they have. I work from home someone selling on ebay and maybe Amazon suffers irreparably if they get booted from ebay. Do a search - "alternatives for ebay" and see what you get. Nothing worth even 10% of what they had. You can offer websites and such everywhere, someone dropshipping combat boots doesn't have that option.
    Dave and shopafrolix like this.
  6. shopafrolix

maybe its OK for those that earn money from links in domain referrals via VigLink ?
  7. eAuction

eAuction

What's that got to do with it? I don't use VigLink, Twf auto inserts those links but I doubt it really makes them much money.

What about promoting your website through search engines Pete? Plenty of search traffic for dropshipping and wholesale.
  8. Pete

Pete

Never a need. I've been fortunate to have all I can handle on my own with no help managing. I keep (kept) busy doing that and while I have paid staff in China they are for sourcing, stocking shipping and I have staff in the UK for shipping. But the "management / money / order processing" and most importantly the marketing and customer service that has done so much to build my business would have grown beyond my personal capacity to handle. At my age and stage of life I have had a comfortable business that is also a hobby that started out solely in my efforts to help others. Other than a couple of other dropship type forums that are not very productive, I have had all that I wanted.

I'm not crying, I do have other businesses and have had a big increase in direct from China sourcing requests since all of this has come about. Tied to the SS deal or not, I have no idea. I just know that I'm getting frequent request to find goods that have nothing to do with phones and tablets. And most are paid by bank wire direct to one of my Hong Kong accounts, so PayPal is also losing. :)

However, I don't understand how simply chasing small businesses away is going to increase income in other ways.
  9. Volantary

Volantary

I think that's fairly simple. TWF was getting advertising membership revenue once a year from each member and nothing more. Now if someone wants to advertise they pay a higher amount once a year and when they want to sell physical products TWF gets a slice through the buyer's fee. As long as they have regular sellers on SS they have a constant stream of income.

To be honest I think TWF isn't needed for them any more. Yeah they still have new advertisers signing up to be "service advertisers" or "international advertisers" which will probably pay for the hosting and maybe the staff but I'm sure the regular slices of income from SS are worth much more. Well, it has to be, otherwise they'd have reversed the decision a while back when advertisers stopped renewing and the revenue from TWF dropped.

All speculation of course, but if the above is remotely true it's a fairly sensible business decision. Unfortunately we lose our marketplace, regular buyers and community members as a result.
    andrew page likes this.
  10. madman

madman

Thats what we are talking about - its bad for sellers, bad for buyers, bad for forum community members and good for owners.
  11. Dave

Dave

- my bold.

This forum has staff that need to be paid and the forum has to have a way to do that.
    If the SS link up has increased £££ for Anthony and allows him to expand his business / hire more staff etc, surely thats what it is about?
    I can see that the forum has changed but life moves on people go and new people replace them.
    Gary and Dean like this.
  12. Simple Aquatics

Simple Aquatics

13. eAuction

eAuction

That's exactly the thing - it's a for profit business and decisions should be made as such. Google get rid of services all of the time that affect thousands (and probably millions) of people.
  14. Clearance Lots

Clearance Lots

Its a pitty there isnt a membership where you can just list in the single items market place at a reduced rate as that would have suited me, I dont want to pay for the full SS advertising so will not renew.
    madman likes this.
  15. Pete

Pete

There is no doubt Anthony bought this forum as a business venture from the start. He did not do it for altruistic purposes and for someone who has known him from nearly the time he took it over I can say he has turned that initial investment into burgeoning empire. I have nothing but admiration for him, he severs as an excellent example of "what can be done".

But the OP was "where has everyone gone?", so to speak and the fact is that people are abandoning the forum.

And while admiring Anthony's entrepreneurial skill, I'm still sad that so many besides myself have lost a place to buy and sell. Saying it is his and he can do as he wishes is certainly true, but it does seem like turning your back on those who got you there. Certainly not the first time. But comparing a person to person, develop new friends sort of place such as this to Google is sort of ludicrous.
  16. eAuction

eAuction

Why? They are both business that provide a service to people. I have a feeling that you'd dispute any point I make here but there's no point in crying over spilt milk.
  17. shopafrolix

why does your signature link go to ************************************************* ?

yesterday it was a different website again
  18. eAuction

eAuction

Woops, appear to have been hacked - all fixed now.
  19. shopafrolix

ha ! Yes, i did try hinting at that yesterday
  20. eAuction

eAuction

VigLink has nothing to do with me being hacked though - and I certainly make no money from the website in my signature!