1. Speak to our customer support team live today
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Thanks for visiting The Wholesale Forums! Register for FREE today and gain access to more information. Sign up with Facebook, Twitter, or Google.

Lost in post responsibility for repair item

Discussion in 'Legal, Insurance & Issues' started by stebeats, Jan 23, 2016.

1. stebeats

stebeats

Hi just after some advice,

I offer an online repair service for faulty car ecu's by mail, they are sent to me I repair them and send them back 1st class, I don't use a recorded service as royal mail don't pay out for the items as the original value can't be proven and its classed as faulty with it going for repair.
    In 2 years never had a problem, just had a customer claim they haven't received there's back, gave them the benefit of the doubt and refunded straight away the repair costs, now they are claiming they want further money to cover the costs of replacing the faulty item.

Where do I stand here? do I have to pay up the difference for a replacement, bearing in mind the item was faulty when sent to me, they did not opt for special delivery or any other postage? Can't help feeling there's a scam here somewhere.

Any Advice would be great
  2. liamhawes

liamhawes

Sorry I have no idea of the cost of these things. What the Cost of repair? What's the cost of a new one of these and what's the average value of a broken one?

If i was the customer. Even though this may be Royal Mail's fault. I'd still be out of pocket my broken item (which I assume is cheaper to get fixed and buy new) So i would be a little annoyed.

Also how do they pay you? Is it paypal?
  3. stebeats

stebeats

Repair cost is £25, cost new £200, second hand un repaired - £10-20 if you can find them, cost 2nd hand repaired £75.
    I have had customers in the past request to pay extra for special delivery for return postage on things like this for this reason but most want the cheapest way.
  4. liamhawes

liamhawes

Hopefully someone can come along soon who knows more about the legalities of this type of thing because I honestly don't know.

However if this was the other way around, and you were the customer getting a repair done and you had your repair fee back but now had no item. What would you expect from the company? Baring in mind the company had it last.

This may be more about doing the right thing as a seller/service than doing the bare minimum you are required by law.
  5. stebeats

stebeats

If it was a replacement part I might not have been so suspicious but after the refund requesting more money just seemed a little bit fishy. I'll see if any one has any input but think the best option might just be to source the same part and send them a replacement rather than a refund.
  6. Jed

Jed

As the service provider it is unfortunately your responsibility to get the item back to the customer. If it was lost between them sending it to you then it would be the customers problem. Basically whoever last handles the item has responsibility for care of the item. You can provide a replacement or a refund of the value of the item it's up to you.

I think you can still lodge a lost item claim with Royal Mail despite not being sent recorded so would be worth looking into that.

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news, best to just take it on the chin and move on rapidly!
  7. stebeats

stebeats

Suspected as much! never mind lesson learned
  8. liamhawes

liamhawes

Sorry!

Welcome to the forums though!
  9. stebeats

stebeats

Is there any sort of disclaimer that can be used so the customer is either required to pay for special delivery or take it on the chin themselves do you know?