1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

News Meltdown and Spectre, What You Need To Know

Discussion in 'Technical News and Help' started by Erik, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Erik

Erik

For those who are not aware: Last week, a bomb exploded in the tech world, with the news about Meltdown and Spectre. These 2 are vulnerabilities in chips that we use in computers, and is a perfect gateway for hackers to steal your important data, including passwords, sensitive information, even including files.

To put it simply, here are things that you need to know:

1. What is Meltdown?

[​IMG]

- Meltdown attacks in the point where an application communicates through the computer's operating system. This will then allow a program to access the computer's memory, which then will give the hacker access to the computer's secrets, aka your information.

2. What is Spectre?

[​IMG]

- Spectre attacks to the point where 2 applications are communicating. It allows the hacker to trick programs into getting into the memory and share its secrets. Spectre is much more difficult to accomplish than Meltdown, however it is also harder to fix.

3. Am I affected?

- There is a guaranteed chance that you are affected. Most types of computers, cloud servers, and even mobile phones are affected by this vulnerability, which makes this news more concerning.

4. Can I or an antivirus program detect the attacks?

- Likely no. Both Meltdown and Spectre attacks silently that regular applications seem to have no change in them, and they do not even leave logs. The only way your antivirus may detect them is if a different malware is discovered using the same attacks, and comparing the differences between the old and the new.

5. Is there a fix?

- Currently, the largest companies affected by this are rolling out fixes for Meltdown. Personally, I already received an update for my Windows computer, even for my iPhone and iPad (Apple uses ARM chips, which are also affected). Should you see an update available for your system, do not hesitate to update immediately. At the moment, there is still no known fix for Spectre, and is speculated that may take a while before an official fix will be rolled out.

At the moment, Intel chips are the most affected by these vulnerabilities, which gets both Meltdown and Spectre. However, AMD and ARM chips are also affected in some aspects, especially by Spectre. Expect that your computer is already affected, so does your cloud server.

I cannot personally advice on what to do to prevent it, as the vulnerability comes hardware side, and affects almost everything about the computer (things you typed, saved passwords, even whole files can be accessed). The best thing that we could do is hope that a permanent fix will work for both vulnerabilities, and once done, immediately change all passwords you have. It would also not hurt to backup your important files on a separate drive, and as much as possible not to connect it to a computer for the meantime.

Here's to hoping that it all gets better moving forward!