1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

member ages

Discussion in 'Forum Support & Feedback' started by mrbritish, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Mitch

Mitch

It gets to a point where you have to make a joke of it before it angers you anymore.

After this it does not bother me what he thinks, I will get on with my business and he will get on.
  2. Gary

Gary

Agreed, if a person is selling age restricted goods then age sould be verified, like Mark said, it is the responsibility of the seller to ensure they are not selling restricted goods to a minor, but should not be the responsibility of the forum but the responsibility of the seller, if they wish to make further verification checks then that is their perogitive, and an age on a forum wouldn't (and couldn't) really class as sufficient as anybody can say they are 26 year old male with 7 websites and a turnover of in excess of 500k a year but they could be 14 with/without a website and only selling to mates, it's the internet, anybody can pretend to be anyone, the ONLY way this could begin to be semi-efficient would be to perform verification checks on every member and really the admin should NOT be responsible for that.

Bottom line, if you are worried about selling to a minor (for whatever reason), it is UP TO YOU to meke the checks, even then in reality a disclaimer should be added for internet sales stating that they agree that they are over the age of ** and are not buying for anyone under that age in accordance with the law, but it is the SELLERS responsibility, just the same as it is the responsibility of the buyer to make any further verifications they may like on the seller.

though as for the race/religion argument, the only similarity is you wouldn't sell pork to a muslim but could if they wish to buy it as there is no law stating that a muslim can't buy it so is not really the same.

Though for general items, my view is the same and I still see no valid reason why it should be displayed on the forum, if for no other reason than it may cause some people to discriminate based on it, plus it could never be accurate without putting an unfair load on the admin, even then there is nothing stopping them opening the account in the name of an older sibling/parent/friend.
  3. Tracy

Tracy

I definatly dont agree with members ages going next to avatars, i dont even have my year of birth displaying in my profile!!!

I think it would open up to much more "discrimination" if this was to happen.

The only thing i agree with is what Mark said. As was in my first post in this thread, the legal issues. (selling age restricted products to minors.)
  4. Rocker Locker

Rocker Locker

Wow, this certainly makes for interesting reading, doesn't it?

Well, i see the sense in both sides -

A - Why discriminate against a 13-18 year old, if he knows what he's doing?
    B - But then why assume all 13-18 year olds know what they are doing, based on a few on this forum who have a sensible head on their shoulders?

A - Why worry about the age of the person you are trading with?
    B - Why not worry, is a 13-18 year old able to agree a legally binding contract to supply goods on ANY basis?

In my experience, being 'grown-up' does not qualify anyone as suitable to trade with - common sense is not exclusive to adults, neither is business sense, and all traders should use discretion during any transaction, whether it be with a minor or an adult. In some cases, you are safer to trade with the 14 year old 'Kid' than you are the adult!

There is the legal implications, however, i've not looking into it before, because i've not yet supplied to anyone under the age of 18, but is a 'Minor' legally able to enter a 'contract'? Because, whether it's a deal on this forum or otherwise, if you agree a price on any amount of stock (no matter what it is) then that signifies a verbal contract to supply. I always thought that under 16's could not enter any form of contract, and needed a parent/guardian to do this for them. Could this then be an issue for VAT / Tax inspections, when you try to convince that inspector that it was a perfectly legal transaction that took place between you and that 14 year old. I could be wrong, if i am, feel free to correct me.

Gail
  5. willhof

willhof

A more blunt point is that it's none of anybody's business how old I am.
  6. TTL

TTL

How old are you? :)
  7. willhof

willhof

I could turn it into a competition ;)
  8. TTL

TTL

My number's bigger than yours? :)
  9. willhof

willhof

lol, reminds me off a joke:

A man is having problems with his Johnson which certainly had seen better times. He consults a doctor who, after a couple of tests, says, "Sorry, but you've overdone it the last 30 years. Your **** is burned out; you only have 30 erections left in your *****."

The man walks home (deeply depressed); his wife is already expecting him at the front door and asks him what the doctor said concerning his problem. He tells her what the doc told him. She says, "Oh no, only 30 times! We shouldn't waste that. We should make a list!"

He replies, "Yes, I already made a list on the way home. Sorry, your name isn't on it."
  10. Rocker Locker

Rocker Locker

My problem is, with all these young 'uns getting into the trade, i feel incredibly old!!
    *I have 2 sons, the oldest is 10 soon so he's only a couple of years behind some of these people and already planning his first business venture
    *i keep dying my hair black - partly because i really don't suit my natural blond, partly because i'm scared stiff of finding grey hair
    *I'm turning 30 in a couple of years
    *I'd rather laze around in my jimmi-jams & slippers than go clubbing every weekend

*THWACK
    I've just hit a premature mid-life crisis

I'll go panic in the corner now :eek:

Gail
  11. Xbox-Codes

Xbox-Codes

I've got to agree with Mr British.

Kids and yes thats what they are should not be worrying about trying to make money. They should be out enjoying there childhood. There's plenty of time when you 18+ to worry about making money / starting your own business and the stress which comes with it. IMO a 13 year old shoudln't have to cope with the stress of starting their own business.

I hate to say it but it makes this forum appear less serious.
  12. Seraph

Seraph

I agree entirely :niceone:

There seem to be an awful lot of kids on here thinking they can get rich quick without having any real knowledge (or respect) for what they're trying to do.

I'm not saying all under 18 yr olds should be avoided but there have been proven occurences of people talking a talk they had no hope of following through, Emily is a classic example of that and why people didn't see that coming I don't know.
  13. jayjrc

jayjrc

i think you can generally know which age group you are talking to within a few minutes, and if not just ask them, its not exactly a life or death question, furthermore they can always lie?
  14. Ultravox

Ultravox

How is Emily an example? She is one of the minority.
    What about Gamejelly? Inferno? Ishydropship?

I'd be interested in seeing the administration's view on this.
  15. willhof

willhof

The fact the admin haven't commented suggests they don't feel strongly enough for either view.

If it ain't broke and all that!
  16. JustCraig

JustCraig

This has to be one of the most popular threads the Support and feedback section has ever seen.
  17. TTL

TTL

The way that someone words a post can give away their age, but on the other hand, there are articulate kids out there that have had good educations and will converse as if they are much older.

Why are some people so worried about this? If you are dealing with someone for a reasonable amount of money, have a phone chat with them - their voice would be a better indication of age if it's that important to you.

With reference to the idea of kids needing to have a "proper" childhood, would 6 hours a day on an XBOX 360 do them more good? If making money floats their boat, let them do it. I doubt that they honestly believe they will become instantly rich by buying and selling a few XBOX Live codes for a few quid.
  18. Seraph

Seraph

I have a very good ******** radar and did suss Inferno very quickly when he got defensive after I questioned something with him, GameJelly was before my time and TBH I don't really look at game threads.

You can generally tell what people are like from their demeanour, who you can take seriously etc. I brought Emily up as it was a recent event and IMO (I wasn't aware of her age) she was very immature yet managed to fool a lot of people. The Jake Bevan thread is another example, a minor that somehow managed to get an advertising account and has walked away with a lot of money that does not belong to him.

I'm not sure what more Anthony can do to police things, I certainly don't envy him.
  19. Ultravox

Ultravox

On a side note, Jake Bevan did not get an advertising account. Someone got it on his behalf.
  20. Seraph

Seraph

Which would make the vetting system a bit of a mockery don't you think?