1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

member ages

Discussion in 'Forum Support & Feedback' started by mrbritish, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Tracy

Tracy

No, think this thread has got a bit out of control.....
  2. peerielass

peerielass

Nobody said they wouldn't deal with an under 18yr old, no age discrimination, nothing, it was just a simple idea to have peoples age in the avatar, no harm meant. It's not going to happen so, that's that.:D
  3. suttons33

suttons33

:dance:ta!!!! I have a 13 year old also!!!!! see that is a real compliment bet you were all chuffed at that!!!
  4. suttons33

suttons33

:D sorry hun, think i took it off track a wee bit!!!

5. suttons33

suttons33

lmao quite sensible too!!!!! i now see it is no longer my birthday so i have to stop shaking!!!!! cheers xx:D

6. peerielass

peerielass

She takes it to far, she wears my pj's, takes my make-up, uses my hair products, has taken my hair dryer and brush to her dads, and tomorrow she wants to wear my wooly socks, pmsl, I defo didn't want to wear my mum's clothes at that age.:D
  7. mrbritish

mrbritish

i give up, i really need to unsubscribe from this thread
  8. ballymoremonty

ballymoremonty

Interesting thread, very heated for some reason. I personally don't think it's unreasonable to want to know the age of folk your dealing with due to legal issues that would arise if a deal went awry.

In our case we could lose our licence if we sold an animal to anyone under the age of 16 unless accompanied by an adult. That's not been ageist its just the law.
  9. andy v001

andy v001

When i wrote the post about me being a 17 yr old student, I wasn't having a go at anyone or anything...I am just curious to see if it does actually put anyone off.
  10. Tracy

Tracy

My remark was just a simple yes i would deal with you, no problem.
  11. Anthony

Anthony

A few pages back there was a query as to why I had not responded to this topic. I did think about it, but I thought intervening earlier may have prohibited some of you to air your thoughts openly. For the most part, this is a good collection of opinion, apart from a few comments which have detracted from the purpose of the thread.

Our stance is that we have never asked that our members display their age publicly. There are reasons for this and the major one being that we believe that members should retain the freedom of choosing whether or not to display their age publicly. This we believe is their right to retain a degree of privacy and is the same for everybody.

As to the queries regarding there being a minimum age for using this forum, this is something that has been brought up in the past and certainly has considerations for both sides of the argument. Whilst we do wish to encourage our younger members to take part and get involved in the trade (everybody has to start somewhere), we also have to consider that there are other associated risks and considerations that must be made if we are to harbour youngsters in large quantities. I am strong believer that business people should not be judged by their age but by their knowledge of the environment they are trading within. In my opinion, real world experiences are what counts in business and naivety exists at every level, regardless of whether you are 50 or 15.

The legalities of having minors on the community are plain and clear. For transactions to be legally binding, at least here in the UK, you are required to be 18 or over. This is the reason why those who holding advertising accounts here must be over this age. Vetting buyers on the other hand simply would not be practical at this mass and open level. We could introduce an age restriction to join the community as a member, but to enforce this would be challenging, perhaps unfeasible without considerable human effort on a large scale.

Businesses have a responsibility to ensure that their buyers are of the legal age required to purchase particular goods. An example being a shopkeeper selling alcohol may request ID in order to verify that the buyer is of the legal age. There are no third parties involved in this, the responsibility is the shopkeepers and his/her alone. This forum and the Internet as a whole is no different, other than it is a faceless community where anybody can be who they want to be without fear or reasonable degree of knowledge of who they really are. These are not new challenges, such issues have existed since the adoption of the Internet as a trading environment.
  12. Michael

Michael

Not only is it an offense to sell products to people that are under the required age (alcohol, cigarettes, movies, games) the person attempting to buy them under age is also committing a criminal offense.

I am hoping my new website will be having a DOB section in the checkout that will not let you complete unless it makes you over 18, I also have an agreement with my couriers to deliver to over 18s only and ask for ID where necessary.
  13. Ultravox

Ultravox

I think this about sums it up. This is the kind of effort businesses should be making when dealing with 'minors'.
    Thumbs up Michael.
  14. andy v001

andy v001

You reminded me of something: I was shocked to find that HMV and Gamestation (among others) do NOT operate age restrictions on their websites!! Anyone that is underage can buy what they want.
  15. Michael

Michael

Anyone selling alcohol (retail) should be doing something similar under the conditions of their licence. I know people could lie when ordering but as long as I have taken the correct steps I am covered.

If I cant get a DOB calculator at the checkout I will use a check box that says something like 'I agree that I am over 18'
  16. Rocker Locker

Rocker Locker

I have no problems with this, and would happily supply, but whether my accountants would feel the same, i'm not sure.

During any VAT or Tax inspection we may be required to prove transactions are legitimate. Since anyone under the age of 18 cannot enter a legally binding contract without parental consent - to supply/purchase goods or otherwise - i would happily supply, but it may be that we'd have to invoice a parent/guardian.

I don't see a problem here for us, with the exception that some of our t-shirts have explicit printing on them!

Gail