Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!

Meta tag keywords + description

Discussion in 'Social Media, SEO/SEM & Online Marketing' started by psxgamer, Feb 24, 2011.

1. psxgamer

psxgamer

I restarted working on my Open Cart website. I've been playing around with it some months ago just to learn to know it. I'm gonna rebuild my website from the ground up so I can launch it in a few months time.

I just wanted to check if I understood everything correctly.

* I made sure my URL's are SEO-friendly. To make sure it will look like this: www.mydomain.be/PS3/Little-Big-Planet I fill out Little-Big-Planet as SEO productname.

* Meta Tag Keywords: here I fill out max. 20 words with a comma in between, keywords that I think people will use in Google to search for my product

* Meta Tag description: here I put a discription that gives a bit more explanation. This will be the text that will be under each "hit" when you searched something on Google.

Is this right? Or am I overlooking something.

Can somebody give me a tip for the Meta Tag description. I was thinking to put something like "buy the best games at the best price with 'my gameshop'. The biggest choice, sharpest prices and best service. Appearently, I need to use a different meta tag description for each product :\
  2. game-tec

game-tec

You are right about all your points.

Regarding description, just simply think.

If you searched "Little Big Planet" in google, what information would entice you to click that link? It should be RELEVANT information to that particular product.
  3. Dan

Dan

Having a bit of trouble with this myself at the mo! Writing the description as like bullet points as its easier to read, good - bad?
  4. redspell

redspell Banned Member

bynnad, you would be better writing the meta description as a keyworded sentance or two as it is used/displayed in the majority of search engine result listing pages.

Usually only the first 160 characters of the meta description are shown and its best to have a keyword near the beginning of the sentance.

Best practice is to word it in a way that when read by the browser doing a Google search, it will encourage them to click your search listing over the others on the page.
  5. Dan

Dan

I meant 'description' only not meta description. However your advice is still most useful thanks
  6. Dan

Dan

Also, is repetition necessary? so if the keywords were listed like this: 'black leather, black, leather, pretty' would it still pick it up regardless of how I;ve entered it? Whether there a phrase or word, does it effect how it will appear is basically what im asking.
  7. redspell

redspell Banned Member

I wouldn't bother with the individual words such as 'black' or 'leather' as on their own they are too vague, best to stick with 2 or 3 word phrases to drill down on relevance.
  8. Dan

Dan

Ok great, so phrases > keywords. Thanks Richy