1. Speak to our customer support team live today
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Thanks for visiting The Wholesale Forums! Register for FREE today and gain access to more information. Sign up with Facebook, Twitter, or Google.

Moving to new website - Any advice to get it right?

Discussion in 'E-Commerce' started by Dean, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Dean

Dean

I am at the point where I need to redirect my domain name and all associated URLs from my old website to a new website I have put together on BigCommerce.

I've done some reading and I understand I need to set up permanent (301) directs from all the old URLs to the new ones.

Is there anything else I need to think about so that it doesn't adversely affect my search engine standings?
  2. eAuction

eAuction

301 redirects are the most important thing. Make sure you create a new sitemap and get that updated in Google Webmaster Tools too. There's some other practical things to consider when changing site too such as migrating users and order data.
    Dean likes this.
  3. Dean

Dean

Thanks @eAuction. The old site is very basic, only utilising Paypal buttons so I have no data to transfer.
  4. Devilwear

Devilwear

Are you looking to install a wordpress blog on Bigcommerce? How are you doing it?
  5. Dean

Dean

Not sure what you mean? I've used Bigcommerce to create an ecommerce store. I'm not looking to set up a blog, not yet at least.
  6. Devilwear

Devilwear

Sorry, this was in addition to the ecommerce store for content creation (using a blog for SEO), but because Bigcommerce host the store, its not possible to add the blog to that domain. Sorry if I am confusing things haha
  7. Dean

Dean

8. Devilwear

Devilwear

Thanks for that, I have seen something similar. My problem is that I dont want it as a sub domain, as google will then see it was a different site (or not as powerful as having it on your main domain).

Thank you anyways. Hope the new site does great for you :)
  9. Dean

Dean

I must admit I know very little about where best to host a blog.

Thank you. I have to say that I am VERY impressed with Bigcommerce. So far is doing everything I want with a whole lot more that I'm finding out. I'm just at the end of my 2 week trial and will be definitely be signing up ongoing.
  10. Nick-D

Nick-D

I would say there isn't a lot else to do in your case!

We are going to be moving from Interspire to Magento in the near future, i get a feeling it won't be anywhere near as easy!
  11. Dean

Dean

Yep, all seems pretty simple for mine so far. Should be ready to put it live tomorrow. Long overdue but got there in the end!
    Devilwear likes this.
  12. Dean

Dean

Question regarding DNS settings...

I have my domain registered with 123-reg but my current website and email hosted with a different provider (lets call them AHost for the purposes of this). The Name Servers are currently configured on 123-reg to point to AHost.

Now I need the Name Servers to point to Bigcommerce to activate my new site under my domain name but I want to keep my email with AHost. Am I better to...

1. Change everything on 123-reg, so NS1, NS2 and A records all point to Bigcommerce, with MX records pointing to AHost for email.

or

2. Leave NS1 and NS2 pointing to AHost and configure something there to redirect the domain to the website at Bigcommerce (not sure if this is even possible).

??
  13. eAuction

eAuction

Option 1 for sure. Even better - get google apps for business (£3 a month for one account) and get rid of your host. Google apps for business is ridiculously good.
    Dean likes this.
  14. Dean

Dean

Hmm, just had a look. I currently have an office server which I assume Google Apps could replace? That would save having to update the windows server software thats currently installed!
  15. eAuction

eAuction

What do you use the server for? just email?
  16. Dean

Dean

Now I've moved the website, its just used for several email accounts (business and personal) and storing all the images that I use in my eBay listings.
  17. eAuction

eAuction

It may not be ideal for your images, but it does come with Google drive so that may work - or you may be able to link images directly from your BigCommerce site.

The email side of things is basically a professional version of gmail - I personally couldn't do without it.
  18. Dean

Dean

Sorry, the description I gave above was for my web host. The server in the office is used for file sharing. Does Google Apps have a storage limit for files?
  19. eAuction

eAuction

20. Dean

Dean

Help!! I seem to have broken my email for the transferred domain! I have the MX records on 123-reg pointing to my existing host where I want to keep the email e.g....

MX 10 mx1.ahost.com.
    MX 20 mx2.ahost.com.

...but I am no longer receiving any emails. Is there anything else I need to do?