1. Speak to our customer support team live today
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Thanks for visiting The Wholesale Forums! Register for FREE today and gain access to more information. Sign up with Facebook, Twitter, or Google.

Moving to new website - Any advice to get it right?

Discussion in 'E-Commerce' started by Dean, Jan 22, 2014.

1. eAuction

eAuction

Easiest thing to do is check with your host - may be a few other records that need adding for such a configuration.
  2. Dean

Dean

Thanks. Just opened a support ticket with them. I thought things were going too smoothly!! :eek:
  3. eAuction

eAuction

heh, if that's the only thing that goes wrong during a migrate then you're doing ok! I'm sure it will be sorted quickly - my host replies within 5 mins even at 3 in the morning. Let me know if you get any bigcommerce problems - have a developer account there.
  4. Dean

Dean

Just got a reply from the host but what they told me was not quite right! While waiting for their reply I managed to find out that I actually needed to configure the MX records in my Bigcommerce settings and not 123-reg. Makes sense I guess seeing as the nameservers are pointing to BC so all traffic will go there. Did that and have managed to receive emails as normal.

The host said that the only option was to point the nameservers to them and then configure web traffic there to go to BC. I realise that was an option as I mentioned it above but its certainly not the only choice as they seemed to imply.

Thing is it seems I have lost any emails sent to my main domain addresses since Friday evening. Not so bad for ebay and Amazon messages as I can pick those up from those platforms but anything else I assume is gone.
  5. eAuction

eAuction

They may not be lost - it depends on the configuration of the senders email account. Some will try a fair bit to send before bouncing back, some will only try a few times.
  6. Dean

Dean

My host are suggesting that I go for option 2 in my original post. Keep the name servers pointing to them and then change the A record to point to my Bigcommerce store. Is there any reason not to do this?
  7. eAuction

eAuction

I would have personally done it by pointing the domain to bigcommerce like you have done but I don't have any real great reason for that. If it's working now then there's no need to change?
  8. Dean

Dean

The host are saying that if they change settings at their end then I could start losing emails again. Not sure what changes they mean though.
  9. eAuction

eAuction

I would be inclined to go with what they recommend but it all sounds a bit strange to me - are they a uk/reputable host?
  10. Gary

Gary

Would agree with this, basically it can work either way round, as long as it works I don't overly believe there's a right or wrong way.
  11. Gary

Gary

I don't get this personally, maybe ask your host what settings are likely to change and why before deciding what to do
  12. Dean

Dean

Yes they are. Never had any issues with them
  13. Dean

Dean

I've just asked the question in the ticket so will see what they say.
  14. eAuction

eAuction

Probs best to go with what they recommend purely on the basis that you have some come back should anything go wrong.
    Dean likes this.
  15. Dean

Dean

Good point!
  16. Dean

Dean

Their reply is as follows...

"The system will update records for your domain name: mydomain.co.uk in our system and will notice that name servers are not point to our ones but a third party name servers are used and you will stop receiving new message."

Sounds like I don't have much choice.
  17. eAuction

eAuction

heh, never heard of that but I'd go with it and maybe look to changing to a dedicated email host such as google apps for biz.
  18. Gary

Gary

Sounds that way mate!
  19. Dean

Dean

Yes, I'll go with it. Going to check out Google Apps in the week.

Thanks for you help guys.
  20. Andy777

Andy777

Any reason why you want to keep email accounts under separate hosting company?

Just curious...