1. Speak to our customer support team live today
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Thanks for visiting The Wholesale Forums! Register for FREE today and gain access to more information. Sign up with Facebook, Twitter, or Google.

Moving to new website - Any advice to get it right?

Discussion in 'E-Commerce' started by Dean, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Linn Systems

Linn Systems

Hello Everyone,

Please Note the price changes only apply to new customers registering for a trial account AFTER 7/01/2014.

So if you registered a trial account before this date you are still eligible for our previous pricing structure.

For more information regarding our recent price changes please Click here.

If you have any questions regarding this matter or Linnworks please do not hesitate to contact me.
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  2. Karl O'Meara

Karl O'Meara

As others have pointed out correctly you need to signal to your website visitors, and probably more important to Google and other search engines, that your pages have moved. You do this by getting your old website to issue 301 responses to requests. These are a bit like the 404 message we all familiar with, except that being responses in the 300-range these are not "errors" in the sense, and since the visitor is redirected they don't see any real change, apart from the web page address altering in the browser.

I was in this position recently when I bought an old website and wanted to transfer the traffic to my existing site (like a site merge).

Being a programmer I coded a utility to handle this and being a lazy person I wanted to be a change the structure of the site with minimum effort.

It works so well I thought it might be worth tidying it up and allowing others to use it. So here it is in all its glory.

3. Cody

Cody

Quoting to show extremely helpful link.
  4. Dean

Dean

You're a bit late to the party - this thread is nearly 4 years old! :D
    Cody likes this.