1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

Moving to OBA - Any advise on how to make it easy please?

Discussion in 'Logistics - Payment & Shipping' started by Icclebits, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Icclebits

Icclebits

Hi Guys,
    I have just sent the request to RM regarding OBA. I am planning to drop everything at my local PO, What is the best way to integrate this?

I watched a video and saw a sheet you stick in the bag which the postman to collects. Not sure how this works, Do RM check and frank the mail? I am not sure if this will work for me as I plan to drop the mail off, I was hoping I could just batch print say 20 LL labels and stick on my parcels via my Brother label printer!

Any advise is greatly appreciated, I really need to do this as PO prices are eating my profit to be honest!

Thanks
    Neil
  2. Icclebits

Icclebits

Apologies Mods, Was not 100% sure on the best lace to put this.

As a spanner in the works, I think the PPI option will not be available to me as I am a sole trader? I saw something that said you have to be a company with 3 months trading, But like everything online I take it with a large pinch of salt!
    Gary likes this.
  3. Dave

Dave

I have a ppi account as a sole trader.
  4. Icclebits

Icclebits

That is good news, I think this will be the easiest option for me.
    How does it work with regards to labels, I have seen people who make sheets up quite cheaply. I was thinking it would be great if i could integrate it into my labels :)
  5. paul_ni

paul_ni

You can get a self inking stamp to stamp your impression directly onto parcels which isn't great, buy sheets of pre printed labels with your details on or just print your own. Either on A4 sheets of small labels or a slim brother tape, probably 24mm would do. The easiest way is to use address labels that are large enough to incorporate your postage impression as well.

The paper that goes in the sack is the manifest showing whats in the sacks. You enter those details into Royal Mail each day before posting then print out the manifest.

They're trying to encourage customers to use DMO instead of OBA so they'll probably persuade you to use that. Are you VAT registered as that makes a difference to the service you use.
    Icclebits likes this.
  6. Icclebits

Icclebits

Thank you for the info, I currently use the widest 62mm tape with my brother label printer, So there should be plenty of room to incorporate.
    I was just trying to work out if it can stay the same (i.e make a template to simply add address to) or if I will need to change the impression each day/order.

I am just under the VAT limit each year and rather than expand I am trying to maximize profits so I can keep everything simple. I suspect in the next few years I may have to become VAT registered.

Have looked into DMO briefly and unless it integrates with ebay it looks like a royal PITA! Would rather stick with my own printer ect.
  7. paul_ni

paul_ni

There's basically codes for each service. BPL is 1st/2nd Class and CRL is 24/48 hour service. CRL is a better service as you just take an average weight and there's no small/medium parcel size restrictions but in some cases it's too expensive for non VAT users. I'm not VAT registered so I'm sticking to OBA and using the BPL code which is 1st/2nd Class as it's a lot cheaper for me. For example a 1st class large letter at 100 grams is 78p but on CRL there's VAT and a fuel surcharge making it 94p. A 1 kg small parcel is £3.00 on BPL but £3.19 on CRL.

Once setup you need to play about and see what works out cheaper for you on a typical days postings. Because you can average the weights and get a lower weight band for all items it may be cheaper to use CRL. If you send a lot of medium parcels then CRL would be a lot cheaper.

Royal Mail are pushing all CRL customers to use barcodes on their items which requires using DMO. BPL isn't available on DMO so if you use BPL codes then you continue to use the OBA system and you don't need a barcode.
    Icclebits likes this.
  8. shestuds

shestuds

You should definitely hire a moving company. This will be more profitable than to use PO.
  9. shestuds

shestuds

You should definitely hire a moving company. This will be more profitable than to use PO. My job requires a lot of traveling and changing locations, so I am a professional in this question, lol. That I realized after my first move is that I didn't need to do everything by myself. There are many moving companies that can help me with the move. For example, these guys from house removals London are great. I have already used their services twice, and I am going to call them again next winter. They are very flexible, have excellent rates and a great team. You can search for another moving company or you can take a look to these one, that I recommended.