My new blog - opinions please :)

Discussion in 'Social Media, SEO/SEM & Online Marketing' started by ladyvgw, Sep 16, 2015.

1. ladyvgw

ladyvgw

Ok go easy on me! This is my first attempt into the world of blogging and I know its not perfect but any helpful critiscism you could give me would be appreciated.

I am still understanding all the ins and outs and there is lots I still don't understand so if I have made any rookie mistakes please do let me know.

http://risuswholesaleblog.com/
  2. ladyvgw

ladyvgw

No one? :(

Was hoping for a little bit of feedback.
  3. beacon hill

beacon hill

Loads very fast which is a great start.
    One thing I did notice though is a lack of photos / images on any of the
    pages that are accessible from the home page.
    Every single blog post I write has an accompanying image to get the readers attention.

Hard to advise or comment on your content, as we are targeting a different customer.
    You are advising re-sellers and I am selling my products to individuals. Hence 99% of
    my content is product reviews (with an image ;) )
    My blog gets me over 80% of incoming website traffic
    ladyvgw likes this.
  4. Import Expert

Import Expert

Hi Vicky!

When I started my blog (link in my sig) it was a sharp learning curve and a bit of an experiment but you soon get the hang of it. Mine was on a wordpress platform and learning bits about that (through trial and error and info on web), has helped me recently set up another website based on wordpress template which will be launched soon, so although not the same platform as you, these new challenges are useful going forward.

Try not to do what I've done recently and not add any new content (not enough hours in the day at the moment) as this keeps the traffic up, and of course promote it where you can. Maybe mail all current customers if you haven't already, social media, other forums (cough..), etc. Also if you follow any other related blogs see if they will let you do a guest post on theirs and vice versa - great for traffic.

People want to know how to do 'stuff' - bits that you will have probably found how to do through trial and error, so anything that helps people avoid pitfalls, or simplifies things the better.

People also like stories - Keep adding bits about you, what you have done, your journey.

I would add to above that get some more images on there, perhaps also some background colour - maybe just me but looks a bit..... white... You are selling toys, etc., so keep it lively.
    Also if being uber critical, the layout seems slightly messy - again maybe just me.

Great start though! I get quite a few enquiries from people that have seen the blog, even though I'm not directly advertising anything on there.

D.
    ladyvgw likes this.
  5. ladyvgw

ladyvgw

Thanks so much guys, all valid points :)

I will play around with it a bit more and see if I can improve on it.
  6. cwvps

cwvps

As a mom who is new in this world and has some plans of doing business similar as you are, I find your website very interesting. I love red color dominating and, to tell you the truth, I love simplicity and white background. On the right side of your page, you have Categories for two times. I would keep only one. I think you definitely need images in the body of the content.
    ladyvgw likes this.
  7. ladyvgw

ladyvgw

Jeez, this is time consuming! I have done some more tinkering but have also been spending time trying to promote my blog by commenting on other blogs and sharing my posts around. Need to write more though!

If anyone has any tips on how to grow my readership I would love to hear from you.

8. ladyvgw

ladyvgw

Just posted my Trade Exhibition guide to my blog so if anyone could share it on their blog, comment on it or share on social media I would really, really appreciate it. Pretty please :D

bit.ly/1iLR1jT
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  9. ladyvgw

ladyvgw

10. Gary

Gary

It was an interesting read, you sound very organised with all of your files (more so than me...lol), but I guess previously being an accountant helps!

I did spot a typo though, under "my top business tip", you have " that was" instead of "that way", unsure if you can ask them to update?

I honestly think you've done brilliantly with your business though and have a success story which many could aspire to!
    ladyvgw likes this.
  11. ladyvgw

ladyvgw

Thanks Gary,

Will see if I can get the typo changed.
  12. Erik

Erik

I like how each article has an image and hovering over them has an excerpt. Think you are already in the right track with images posted, and I like how you work on each article, playing around as to where images should be placed. Most blogs I saw post their images on top of each paragraph (the usual way) with an italic annotation below it. Yours on the other hand made some of the text wrap around the image, think it further enhances your article with color :) (A Harry Potter fan myself so I really like that article!). The colors are fine for me. Simple, yet everything has a playful side in it.

Great job with this and looking forward to see more!

Oh, I am also promoting this to our networks. Hopefully it could help!
  13. ladyvgw

ladyvgw

Brilliant! Thanks Erik, I really appreciate it :)
  14. Alby10

Alby10

If that's your first blog, then your off to a flyer. Its really good. I have seen many blogs over the years and most look awful, only because they seem to think of a blog as almost an online diary, instead of looking at design, styling and font usage as well as user friendliness. Only thing I would say is try to re-arrange the sidebar so that the page content ends at about the same level as the side bar or vice-versa, so it looks uniform. At the mo, the twitter feed makes it go well below the content. But thats just my own personal opinion.
    ladyvgw likes this.
  15. ecom_expert

ecom_expert

Hi there
    Great blog and content!
    I'd also recommend displaying the post date on the main page. It's hard to see how outdated your posts at a first glance.