1. Speak to our customer support team live today
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Thanks for visiting The Wholesale Forums! Register for FREE today and gain access to more information. Sign up with Facebook, Twitter, or Google.

New venture

Discussion in 'Start-ups & Business Advice' started by Persistent king, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Persistent king

Persistent king

hi all I'm new here.
    I've had a successful flooring business for 25 years and my wife gave up working 16 years ago to bring up our 3 children. Now our youngest is in school full time she wants to try selling/opening her own clothes shop. I suggested try it from home at first and offer a delivery service to see how it goes, before jumping into renting somewhere and commiting.She has always had a good eye for fashion along with my daughter. The problem is we know very little of the business. E.g. The best wholesalers/ suppliers etc in Manchester / Liverpool or near by. Any help or info would be much appreatiated.
    Thanks
  2. Persistent king

Persistent king

Anyone ? Haha
  3. Cody

Cody

Hi welcome to The Wholesale Forums.

Firstly, with no experience in the field, I would take a look at some of the basic terminology of the wholesale industry.

In terms of the best suppliers in Manchester or Liverpool, etc, that is information most will not happily give away. Finding a good supplier is like handling gold dust; you don't want to give it away. Competition is rough in this industry. However, what we can give you, is the knowledge to finding and verifying good suppliers for yourself. Here you can follow the 5 step method to verifying wholesale suppliers.
    Persistent king likes this.
  4. manishp100

manishp100

Do Not start a bricks and mortar shop... Ecommerce is the way - keeps costs and liabilities low, you can put all the money into stock and online marketing.. and its a more cost effective way to see if the items will sell or not
    Persistent king likes this.
  5. Pembroke

Pembroke

Find a niche within the overall general marketplace and become an expert in that type / line of products. Always test the market with samples even if you sell them at break even, never buy in bulk until you have proven an item will sell. Don't be afraid of moving away from the original idea if you can do better elsewhere.
  6. SaleHoo

SaleHoo

I agree with manishp100 here. The beauty of online selling is that you can give it a try before you actually register your business. You can get your feet wet first by trying to sell a few products online before taking the big leap of registering your business and getting all the business IDs. When you're ready, this link may guide you with registering your business in the UK.
  7. catpullover

catpullover

You're right, try online first before having a physical shop (that's what I did). If she can design and make clothes on her own that would be best, as customers always want something new and unique. But not too strange, something "cool" but still familiar to get the attention of mass consumers.
  8. Mike Cartwright

Mike Cartwright

Since you're not as familiar with this kind of business just yet, it would be best to just do the business from home since e-commerce does save you from funding rent all that comes with a physical store.
  9. Aerielle Morris

Aerielle Morris

I agree with the rest. It is better to start selling clothes online first before starting up a physical store. My mom actually has an RTW store in a mall. I'm not trying to be mean to her but I know that it is not profitable because her sales mainly depend on the location. If you're online, you will be everywhere despite tough competition. I would suggest looking out into Instagram as a platform to start an online fashion boutique.