New Website.. Need to know which platform to use

Discussion in 'Social Media, SEO/SEM & Online Marketing' started by PG, Jun 5, 2015.

1. PG

PG

I am planning to have a new website (eCommerce)

What platforms do you suggest using? Shopify, Magento etc..

Also, i need to the site to be to have an option of different languages too

Can you anyone give me some guidance before i get started

Thanks
  2. psxgamer

psxgamer

I'm a big fan of Open Cart myself. My site is in multiple languages. This was one of the reasons to choose OC. Prestashop is also good for it but I find OC a lot more userfriendly.
    PG likes this.
  3. PG

PG

Thanks

Its just something im playing around with now. Did you get your site made up or is it from a template?

I think i would rather use a template and slowly do the majority of it myself
  4. psxgamer

psxgamer

Definately go for a template. Look on Themeforest. There are some great templates available. Not only for OC but also for other platforms. I would also invest in a SEO extention. Even if it's a very simple to add page titles to each listing.
  5. kyle6uk

kyle6uk

I'd also say OpenCart if you're planning on selling or Wordpress if you're not selling (although you can add shopping cart to WP I believe)
  6. Amy@Filplastic

Amy@Filplastic

We use Shopify (I didn't choose this, but inherited it)
    It's ok but you need a bit of coding knowledge to do any modifications etc
  7. Paulsummers

Paulsummers

There are too many platforms, so it's really difficult to choose the best one. Shopify is too popular but to difficult for me, I've heard Sellbeing is very easy, but I am afraid to try something unpopular. ANy suggestions?
  8. manishp100

manishp100

I'm a fan of Prestashop
  9. Low Cost Sourcing

Low Cost Sourcing

I think it really depends on what features you might be looking to add to your shop either now or in the future. If you are just looking for a standard shopping cart feature then services like Shopify might be ideal, but if you might be looking to add other features and you would like more freedom on what you can do with your website then an open source software such as Wordpress, Opencart or Prestashop might be better suited to your needs.

Also your knowledge of building websites will come into it although there are some really good tutorial videos around on YouTube to help you get started.
  10. Alby10

Alby10

I would suggest Wordpress and an ecommerce plugin such as woocommerce. The benefit of Wordpress is that there are so many things you can do with it. For example if you want to add a newsletter, there's a plugin, and lots of businesses and individuals use it. Opencart, Prestashop are good options but for versatility, Wordpress based ecommerce shops are hard to beat.
  11. psxgamer

psxgamer

Would have to disagree with you. Opencart, Prestashop,... only have one means: building an ecommerce website.

Wordpress started out (and still is) a blog platform with woocommerce as a plug-in for ecommerce.

Can't say a lot about Prestashop since only used the demo, never build a shop with it. For Opencart there are 1000's and 1000's of extentions available for every possible function you can think of.

One thing Wordpress is known for is that's it's not very safe (e-commerce shop that gets hacked). Won't say you're 100% safe with opencart/prestashop but they are a lot more secure out of the box.
  12. ebafy

ebafy

Woo if your on a budget - Magento if you can handle the heat!
  13. shaununo

shaununo

Take a look at cubecart, another great little out the box shopping cart that is open source and free to use, you can pay a little extra for additional extensions and add ons, templates, etc