1. Speak to our customer support team live today
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Thanks for visiting The Wholesale Forums! Register for FREE today and gain access to more information. Sign up with Facebook, Twitter, or Google.

News No Watermarked Images on eBay From 2018

Discussion in 'eBay, Amazon & Online Marketplaces' started by Cody, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Cody

Cody

Yes, you read that right.

Bad Idea?

The days of producing high quality product images, applying your logo, and a watermark to protect your images is now coming to end. How does this even benefit sellers if someone else can just steal your photos? Surely this is a bad idea!

On top of this, eBay are also banning logos, borders and decorative patterns on images too as a means to create a much fairer marketplace to not enforce a decision based on pretty images with decorations.

What are you doing eBay!

In eBay's Seller Centre image policy they state they will 'monitor pictures for watermarks and notify you when we identify images that don't comply with our updated picture policy.'

When will this take place?

This new policy will take place from 1st March 2018, and sellers still continuing to watermark their images will have their listings removed from search.

What are your thoughts? Let the eBay anger come out.
  2. Dave Casuals

Dave Casuals

does this mean no text at all on a main gallery image? I recently put up some listings offering a free item with an item sold so the gallery image shows the main item for sale and a smaller image of the free item next to it along with the words "includes FREE **** ". Sometimes there isn't enough room within the title to include details or buyers don't often understand there is a free item included so the gallery image is the best way of doing it.

I don't have an issue with watermarks or patterns on images being removed as I see them as quite tacky from some I've seen.
  3. Dean

Dean

It will be image theft galore once this kicks in!
    newsmaker1 and Cody like this.
  4. Jed

Jed

Saves buying a camera now :)
    Oliver likes this.
  5. Cody

Cody

:cwl: There's always one.
    Jed likes this.
  6. Pembroke

Pembroke

Presumably the move is to allow more little (amateur) sellers to use mobile phone images and the Ebay app to upload a sale. This will either result in what I assume ebay want which is following the old adage 'A Picture paints a thousand words'. So more pictures of the actual objects, less descriptions and a killer title / headline or it will backfire and everyone will start using stock images that don't show the actual item.

The stealing your photo angle is sorted out by a thing called 'Exif' data. Every digital image has the details embedded in it and providing ebay can be bothered the ownership of a particular picture can be proven.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exif
  7. Gary

Gary

On the flip side I don't believe Google allow the the indexing of watermarked images, so long term listings could hopefully benefit...

It's the only plus point from what I can see.
  8. Dean

Dean

The difference is that by having a watermark, people are less likely to steal your images in the first place. It is a deterrent which is far better than trying to take someones listings down after they have stolen your images.
  9. andrew page

andrew page

i Love the idea a photo is a photo not text logo and extra s crap attached
  10. Paul-Reynolds

Paul-Reynolds

E

ebay have changed is therms and conduct ions stating that you are allowing any other user on ebay to use your photos.
    So they wont be stealing them ebay is giving them the photos.
  11. smarines

smarines

Wow this sounds very strange. In the UK we have Copyright enshrined in law, it's a birthright. Are eBay really forcing us to give up that copyright when we use their services? Is that even legal? To be honest, I've had it with selling online, it's a joke that gets more bizarre every year. I'll be retraining soon. Any business that is so easily ruined or damaged by a large, faceless corporation like Amazon / eBay is a business on borrowed time IMO.
  12. ukclearance

ukclearance

Do we really believe ebay are actually going to have people looking for watermarked images? it will be a bot that scans for it or relying on users reporting when they see it. So i predict perhaps an initial drop in watermarked images before they start creeping back on their after a few weeks as people learn how they can watermark without the bot picking it up. They already have policies about p0rnography not being allow to be sold on ebay yet sellers know how to get around it and their is loads of it for sale if you know what search terms to look for.
  13. Pembroke

Pembroke

Not give up copyright as such, but as the BBC explain on this webpage although you retain the copyright they can use anything you submit to them without acknowledgement or payment if they wish. Otherwise every time they produced one of their Countryfile calendars they'd have to pay royalties to all the photographers which is something they don't do.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/usingthebbc/terms/what-can-the-bbc-do-with-the-content-that-i-post/

They claim a thing called 'Moral rights'. Which says "When you upload something, you give up your moral rights to it. That means we can use it without identifying you as the creator. We can also edit or change it without your permission. And you won’t have the right to say we’ve treated it in a “derogatory” way".

So that will probably be the same or similar with EBay.
  14. Cody

Cody

Would this lead to eBay sellers not focusing on "professional" imagery then, if it's just going to be stolen?
  15. Pembroke

Pembroke

Good news, I expect you've all had it. I've just had an email from a guy named Rob Hattrell (I assume some big cheese at Ebay) who says and I quote

"In our update to business sellers in September, we announced that listings with watermarked images would be removed from eBay search results from 1st March 2018.

I know that this has been an important topic and I want to thank those of you who took the time to contact me directly to explain the challenges you had with it.
    We encourage you to have clean images because when watermarks are in place, we cannot typically promote your listings on platforms outside eBay, such as Google and Bing.

We’ve also heard from customers directly in focus groups that they are more likely to buy from us when product photography is on a white background and uncluttered.

But having listened to your views on this, we recognize that you as the seller should be able to make the choice. So I wanted to let you know today that I have asked the team not to enforce this policy, but to keep it in place as guidance only.
    Thank you again for your feedback, which made a real difference on this. The views of the people who sell with us are absolutely essential as we continue to evolve eBay for buyers and sellers. We are listening.
    I hope that you have a great Christmas trading season".

His highlighting by the way not mine.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2017
    Jed and Cody like this.
  16. Cody

Cody

Very very valuable information! Thanks a lot.
  17. Jed

Jed

Just imagine the people who have already gone through thousands of listings to update them... LOL!

But good news nonetheless
  18. Gary

Gary

Yes I saw the update too, good for people to have the choice.